Might be about to be less than honest with the missus...

Gyp

Its the missus getting her revenge for even thinking of the deception!  She's put a hex on your eyesight? :giggle:  :giggle::rock:  :bandit:  :love:  

Ctrl-F5 has sorted it

Its the missus getting her revenge for even thinking of the deception!  She's put a hex on your eyesight? :giggle:  :giggle::rock:  :bandit:  :love:  

Actually, the missus knew it was coming today, though I'd made it clear that if it wasn't 100% I'd be sending it back whence it came.

She walked past the new car when she got home and asked if I'd sent it back or if the delivery chap hadn't yet arrived

Phil next door called me over this morning as he'd seen the funniest thing on Thursday and wanted to share it with me.

Apparently there was another car, absolutely identical to mine, sat outside my house. He just couldn't believe it. Just the same. Had I seen it..?

And he went to point at various things on the new car, telling me how the one that had parked outside had exactly the same features

:-)

I *think* I'm enjoying the 170; not 100% sure yet. The grip, power and brakes are something else compared with the 110, but whilst it's clearly a lot more competent, it doesn't feel quite as much fun.

It will. Trust me... it will!

Hmmm. I hope so.

So far

+ve

It can shift

It can shift up hills

It can shift round corners

It didn't kill me when I did a daft thing a couple of nights ago

-ve

it feels "heavier"

the 6-speed box isn't as slick as the 5-speed

the brakes - whilst clearly more powerful - are nowhere near as sensitive or progressive as the set up on the Octavia

an odd hesitation while setting off (may be a characteristic of the 4 wheel drive I'm not used to)

15-20% poorer fuel consumption

My initial worry is that to get consumption that's somehwere near to that of the 110, I'm driving more sedately than I was in the 110 and in doing so I not getting any of the the benefits of having the 170. I could have addressed the lack of power, brakes and traction by simply driving the 110 as I'm driving the 170 :)

I think I simply need to select something other than consumption or range on the maxidot and just get on with driving it; see how I get on.

I think I simply need to select something other than consumption or range on the maxidot and just get on with driving it; see how I get on.

^^^ This. I drove mine quite sedately for most of the time and got 38-43 mpg out of it. I got the big speedo on the maxidot (VCDS by mikeholroyd) so it gives me something else to look at and drive it quicker. I get 39-44 mpg now!

Yep, agree too. I only usually look at the MPG read-out when I've finished the journey :thumbup:

I'd also look to have the trip computer adjusted with VCDS to be more accurate, in line with properly calculated brim-to-brim tank figures. Then at least you know what you're seeing is more of an actual real-world figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

And today, a mere 111 days later, I have the documentation that has allowed me to put my cherished plate on.

The log book shows one more keeper than the car's actually had, I've still not had the refund for the tax disk for the trade-in nor do I have a tax disk to match my cherished plate.

And during this time it's only had to be off the road due to a lack of tax for a fortnight

<sigh>

Gyp I do hope you can live with the mpg, & tax. (bit late now to worry) Just mean driving slower & more frugal.

I went from a Monte Carlo 1.6 diesel to a Yeti SE Greenline 1.6 same engine spec 105bhp.

The Monte did 58 mpg

The Yeti has done 62 mpg for the last 2 fill ups.

Same driving style too.

Tax free then £30. Insurance extra £10.

Lovely jubilee.

Now thats an Upgrade. :D

Anyway...............

Enjoy it.

Cd

Gyp I do hope you can live with the mpg, & tax. (bit late now to worry) Just mean driving slower & more frugal.

I went from a Monte Carlo 1.6 diesel to a Yeti SE Greenline 1.6 same engine spec 105bhp.

The Monte did 58 mpg

The Yeti has done 62 mpg for the last 2 fill ups.

Same driving style too.

Tax free then £30. Insurance extra £10.

Lovely jubilee.

Now thats an Upgrade. :D

Anyway...............

Enjoy it.

Cd

I know, as "modern" cars seem to be moving to 60+ MPG and £0 road tax, it does seem sort of wrong to get something that does mid 40's and costs £175 a year, but for the first time in ages I've bought the car that I want rather than the one that the spreadsheets says that I should.

And I'm loving it :-)

• Like 2

Did the car tax go up to £175 last night

Actually it went up to £180, based on the disc I've got sat in front of me.

...and it turns out the form I got wasn't the one allowing me to put the cherished plate on; that arrived on Saturday. So 113 days :-)

GYP

And I'm loving it :-)

Splendid :-)

Your Greenline fuel consumption figures are pretty impressive; I might consider one next time, especially as I'm doing a lot more miles than I predicted :-(