Quadcoper and Drone Video recording

That is a very good effort. Your experience in the media industry shows as some people just post unedited video or have scenes that are much too long. I particularly liked the overhead shots taken from height. I have a couple of home brew quads from before they were popular and I find the the hardest shot is panning to keep a moving object in shot. I either pan too fast or it is jerky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liger1956 said:

That is a very good effort. Your experience in the media industry shows as some people just post unedited video or have scenes that are much too long. I particularly liked the overhead shots taken from height. I have a couple of home brew quads from before they were popular and I find the the hardest shot is panning to keep a moving object in shot. I either pan too fast or it is jerky.

:) Ta

I have since found the setting to turn off the 'pre' panning action that the camera does and so now it is locked to the drone for any panning shot rather than setting off on it's own and waiting for the Drone to catch up. Probably the worst thing is not having any preconceived idea of what I wanted on the day (still just playing with it) and then being given 90 minutes of random Mavic footage to sift through and try and make sense of. I agree about the top shots, they are quite beautiful in their own way, I fancy trying to do something with the jetski wash in that dark part of the lake. Mind you when I mentioned it to the jetskiers all they wanted to do was replicate the USAF and draw a penis in the lake. They have even worked out how they think they can do it with two skis :D They also intend to take their Mavic and using the flight path plotting on the display screen, draw a penis with that too. 

Boy and their toys...eh :D 

Interesting question. I had already purchased Adobe Premier Elements (latest version) and it didn't like MOV files I had used the first time I went out with the drone. The second time I used MP4 and H265  and it didn't like those files.....so I downloaded the Magix software, free months trial and figured it was going to be quite hard work to get to grips with it. So (you knew I would get there eventually didn't you?) I bought the Cyberlink Powerdirector 16 as it's on offer at the mo (I think it might have come down further with Black Friday - I used Amazon software downloads too). It is very, very easy to use, pretty powerful and very quick in operation. The only downside I can see is you don't seem able to scrub the audio against the play head, unlike the Premier Elements, but in every other way I prefer the Cyberpower software. I used Audacity for the music edits, but it looks like the Cyberpower comes bundled with some sort of rudimentary audio editor now anyway.

The Magix software looks the most comprehensive (After Effects would have been my top choice if I had the money and the inclination to learn it, the graphix look superb), but the Cyberpower is perfect for me. Picture in picture, speed change (I used the speed change 3 times inside a shot and you have a check box for the effect to ease in so it isn't too obvious). Graphics and motion follow are reasonably good and super easy to get to grips with. I'm certainly no computer nerd, so it can't be that hard.

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Thanks 1

Anyone got any thoughts on what the (possible) new 'Drone test' should contain? I'm thinking more bias on safety around people and other flying craft, rather than how to do a back flip in your latest Quad/Pent/Hex/Oct-ocopter. Flying around airport's airspace should be a reasonably easy fix by supplementing education in this area, with software.  Although a numpty determined to fly near aircraft,  will probably find a way to do it and passing a test on what you shouldn't do will have no impact on them. installing safe fly zones and ceiling heights would at least stop the bulk of these idiots - hopefully

Amanda,

It is very early days yet and it is only a proposal. There are already CAA rules that cover 'drones' (I hate that term and prefer multirotors). The BMFA also have rules and lobby against any severe restrictions to the hobby. As you say you will not be able to control those that want to break the law. People have to pass a test to drive a car but some still chose to break the law.

At the moment I would just fly sensibly, obey the 'drone code and CAA regulations, and enjoy yourself. Also, more importantly, if you do break the rules do not post the video on YouTube!!,

I'm guessing that 90% of the drone footage I've seen on Youtube breaks the 'drone code'. Whether it's getting permissions, flying near people or in a place that could potentially cause injury. I suppose it comes down to common sense, after all you could have a 1kg brick with chopping blades suspended several hundred feet above peoples heads. The top shots I took were with the knowledge and consent of the Jetskiers, but it doesn't change the fact there is an inherent risk that needs to be managed as best as possible. I suppose it doesn't matter how safe you are, or how much training and experience you have, if the Winds of Fortune turn against you and your drone goes rouge, somebody somewhere could get hurt. Mostly it's probably just scaremongering as it would do more good to stop kids flying about on pavements on their bikes and not bothering to use lights at night. I welcome some sort of test, as long as it's relevant. Decent education is never a waste of time. . 

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I suppose it doesn't matter how safe you are, or how much training and experience you have, if the Winds of Fortune turn against you and your drone goes rouge, somebody somewhere could get hurt. 

Goddam commie (red) drones :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I trust you are designing one to carry tea and baccon butties      :coffee:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2014 at 20:03, biomulv said:

I had a wee shot of a Phantom 2 at the weekend. Great wee bit of kit.  Got about 20 mins out the battery.  Didn't have to use the "fly home" feature tho.

1913227_10152062380158175_370630780_o.jp

image.jpg

That is Dunbar harbour and Swimming pool?

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The CAA have launched a consultation page about the proposed new charges for all drone (multi-rotor) & model aircraft operations https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance/drone-registration/  like most things only the law abiding will be hit with these charges and those are the people who are already members of the BMFA/LMA/FPVuk and are covered by their insurance