Super Unleaded for my Fabia HTP?

Hi all,

I've got a 2012 Fabia HTP 1.2 and I've a got a reasonably long journey to do in it tomorrow with a heavy load.  I've found it to struggle a bit under those conditions so I'm thinking of filling it up with super unleaded prior to the journey in the hope that it increases performance a bit.

There's currently about 1/6 of a tank of regular unleaded in there, but I'm assuming it's OK to mix the two.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this, as in, will the car respond well to the better fuel or will it just be a waste of money?

Many thanks!

Furbytom is right

Yeah it can handle the super unlesded no problem, but the only difference youll notice is an emptier wallet.

I havent tried it in my fabia, but have in an 05 polo with the same engine (before the improvements mind) and it made absolutly no difference as far as i could tell.

Chilli 1,  

please stick in the tank of Good stuff, i will even donate the extra £2.50 it costs to charity, if you try it.

I used to not use it in small plain engines, but i do now when thrashing them.

Maybe no difference, but for the price some pay for as coffee, what it matter.

• Like 1

So can it handle any octane of petrol? How about mixing the fuels? I'm assuming this will just average out the efficiency between the two.

gonephising, you seem very keen on this fuel! There aren't any vested interests here, are there? Haha!

• Like 1

No problem mixing its just different octanes, and until you have in just 99 ron a mix of 95 and 99 is a higher ron than 95.

Dont bother with Shell V Power Nitro, it is another £2.50 Extra a Tank.

Sainsbury 'Super Unleaded' 97 ron might be the same price as the 95 you buy, and worth a try.

But try the Tesco Momentum if near you please.

No vested Interest other than my mate drives a Tanker delivering Momentum.

http://petrolprices.com

I find decent quality petrol makes more of a difference than the octane rating.

I dont find supermarket fuel or texaco as good as ESSO for example. (Only noticed on other vehicles, as iv always put esso in my fabia)

Just what iv noticed though, others most likely have other experiences and views :).

I find decent quality petrol makes more of a difference than the octane rating.

I dont find supermarket fuel or texaco as good as ESSO for example. (Only noticed on other vehicles, as iv always put esso in my fabia)

Just what iv noticed though, others most likely have other experiences and views :).

just read this, and agree..... you ALSO get better detergents ect to clean the system :) may help prevent damage, and inprove performance over time in a high miles / and or old engine...

• Like 1

It'll not make any difference at all so put whatever you want in that's closest to you.

I've tried everything except Tesco Momentum as I haven't got a Tesco fuel station nearby and none have been better than the others.

Unless you've got a high performance engine with around about 200 bhp + then high octane fuel will not yield any power gains.

• Like 1

Fuel is interesting in which Depots and Refineries it comes from, some do not tell you.

How and were additives are added, and what those are.

Texaco are 

http://valero.com/default.aspx

They also Supply Unbranded Fuels,

Momentum comes from 'Greenergy', and they very openly give the spec of the fuel so you can easily see what is what.

http://greenergy.com

http://www.tescopfs.com/momentum99/specifications

• Like 1

I think the point is that, if the margins are as slim as many have indicated, I wouldn't be able to make an objective comparison anyway.  So any information I gave you in a couple of days' time would probably be erroneous.  Sorry.

• Like 2

For what it's worth I have the 1.2htp 3 cylinder mk1 fabia and I ran it on standard shell fuel for a couple of months then ran it for the same on vpower to compare the benefits etc.

There were essentially 2 differences, on vpower after the second tank I realised the mild juddering I had constantly due to the 3 cylinder engine had all but gone.

The second thing was whilst I didn't see a massive change in the fuel economy I did notice that it would "Get up to temp" much quicker (in fact if you were to trust the probably inaccurate on board fuel computer it would reach 30 ish in 2 thirds the time) and on the motorway rather than fuel economy maxing out at 45 ish it would comfortably make it up to 50/55mpg.

I can't prove anything as such but that was my personal experience when pitching the two against each other.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Isn't the ECU programmed to operate based upon a preset octane rating? Therefore the only gains on a car programmed to run on 95 standard (UK) will possibly be minimal efficiency gains and smoother running? Whereas if a car is programmed to run on another grade there will be some kind of performance loss from using a lower rated fuel?

For example - when I run on Momentum 99 performance and running is excellent or as it should be(recommended 98 octane) whereas running it on 95 there is a noticeable drop in performance and running.

Therefore if you run a car which is rated for 95 on say 91 fuel there would be a similar effect.

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 1

I run my HTP on shell fuelsave with a tank of vpower every month or so; it does run better on vpower (in my mind it picks up from a bit lower down the revs, noise is better and on my excel spreadsheet the mpg is better than with regular unleaded, especially when driving hard), but not enough difference to justify the cost, I do it on occasion for the extra detergents. Having said that the shell regular is much better than when I fill up at anywhere else, even Esso. As said above it can feel a bit bumpy at idle when I've put in other fuels. Only other that it seems to like as much is bp but I get shell cheaper by me.

LOL,  Running smoother is all many need or want.

If it is running smoother, then if you want to nip on you might do so, and save no extra fuel or care if you do.

All 95 ron will meet Minimum spec,

but most of us have experienced not so good Regular Unleaded.

& ones that seemed to perform better. 

Or give better or smoother running engines.

97 RON must meet its Mimimum Spec, and is higher octane, same with 98 ron, 99, 100, 102.

Now a rubbish 97 ron might actually have the car running smoother than a rubbish 95 ron,

& cost the same prices,

so if the Rubbish 97 RON has it running smoother, or has the driver believe it does whats the harm in using it.

I could not believe the OP asked about using Super Unleaded, and then said because of the Negatives not worth trying paying £2.50 extra for a tankful.

But it was his choice, and except for the £2.50 needing spending there was no downside.

george

I run both my current petrol cars on Branded 98 Ron but they are both turbo and the engine management can use the extra octane. The extra performance and economy is noticeable and measurable.

The 1.2HTP always had branded fuels and occasionally had 98Ron in it. I don't believe the engine management has the required knock sensors to benefit from the extra octane to provide and increase in performance or economy. Whether the thread starter feels the extra cost is worth the very slight improvement in smoothness is upto him. 

Lee