vRS and S3

thanks for your kind words

they certainly arent that big inside compared to the octavia, its a second car for us so mainly 1 person but main family car is the vRS as its much larger

we were surprised how small the S3 was in comparison to the vRS too kenny, and i won't mention the boot (or lack of it)

to be honest i was expecting it as we wanted something smaller. the interior space is still quite good but boot, what boot :)

octy is just massive :) does feel bigger to drive but definately fits what we need it for :)

• Like 2

Don't suppose you could send me the details too.... very close to ordering a VRS, but if thsi deal or similar is still available it could be very tempting for a couple of years.

Me too please, fancy a Golf R for under £250 a month...

we were surprised how small the S3 was in comparison to the vRS too kenny, and i won't mention the boot (or lack of it)

There's only two of us so the A3 /S3 would be fine size wise. Even the boot. Certainly more versatile for touring than trying to work where to put bags etc in a sports car.

The RS might fit bill better for you?

Good thought kenny, it might well indeed. We've even thought about going for something completely different as a 911 is an incredibly difficult act to follow, something less sporting such as a BMW 335D X-Drive Touring for example.

Edited by Timoctav

The downside with Audi you will lose some if the drivers car side that the 911 had no mater what car you get. BMW is much more drivers car focused for an every day car.

If you take the RRP as a stand alone figure then the Golf if poor value, however there are fantastic deals to be had & make it better value than the S3.

I've just ordered a new lapiz blue Golf R on -

£1539 deposit & 23 x £264 which includes full maintenance, servicing, RFL & unlimited tyres :)

I'm coming from a S4 so love my S cars, and the S3 if a fine motor (love the look of yours Kenny), but the best deals at the moment are on the Golf R. Just look beyond the ludicrous price tag :)

Bloody hell, really? I had no idea they can be had for only that a month with a fairly small deposit. Oh the temptations. You'll have to report back with realistic MPG figures. I'd need to get 45+ on the motorway to justify owning one.

Quite jealous of the OP, new VRS and an S3. I'm a big fan of most thing VAG pump out. Very nice looking cars!

The new S3 saloon is quite appealing too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

You'll have to report back with realistic MPG figures. I'd need to get 45+ on the motorway to justify owning one.

No way in hell would you ever return that from an S3. You'd have to drive ridiculously slow and miss the entire point of the car. If that's the mpg you need, a TDI VRS or similarly an A3 with the same engine would fit the bill for you.

@kenny, how about my question regarding the ride comfort comparison between the two?

oh sorry missed that one mate.

ride comfort is good in both cars, vRS being slightly better as it seems a bit softer. both handle very well, S3 is sharper at turn in

as for mpg 40 on long motorway drive is possible. averaging 45 on all driving ....not a chance im afraid

The downside with Audi you will lose some if the drivers car side that the 911 had no mater what car you get. BMW is much more drivers car focused for an every day car.

To be honest where I went wrong was I drove to the Audi garage in the 911 and immediately back into it after my S3 test drive, if I'd gone over in the Octavia I'm sure my impressions of the S3 wouldn't have been so unfavourable. The 911 is a no-compromise sports car. It's also near enough the same kerb weight but + 108 bhp and 50 Nm torque. Which is why, when I have to eventually "go sensible" something completely different in character such as the BMW might be the way to go.

Edited by Timoctav

You might be right but also some cars just don't suit certain people.

I just think BMW may be more driver focused as Audi always fall a bit short. I looked at the BM but depreciation of my friends put me off along with interior that didn't like.

Yes Kenny - I believe I'm more "BMW Man" than "Audi Man" although both my wife and I quite liked the regular A3 - which led us to the thinking that S3 might fit the bill - much preferred the regular A3 to BMW's 1 series. An S3 with BMW's six cylinder engine would do nicely!

Edited by Timoctav

Yea I can understand that. To be honest the big failing for me was the rwd. Down right hopeless in winter where I stay and work

Don't want a high powered fwd so Quattro was one of the few options I had left

• Like 1

Agreed - if I went for a BMW it would have to be an X-Drive either 3 series or X3. I had a BMW 123d and it was a real liability in the winter with even a dusting of snow, and neither would I have anything more than 200bhp front wheel drive

Edited by Timoctav

Yeah very true. New xdrives are more tempting but price wise pretty high. Not sure how they drive tho so can't comment

Nor me - haven't driven one either. We've decided to stay as we are for another couple of years so plenty of time for thinking and trying out the alternatives!

They have made the xdrives feel very RWD bias to keep the BMW heads happy. I had an X3 35d sideways no problem on the first roundabout on a test drive - should have seen the salesman's face! I'm sure if you leave the ESP on and drive sensibly it does OK in the winter though!

• Like 1