will it be a write off?

Hi everyone,

My fabia vrs 2010 has been damaged while parked up and wanted to know if it is likely to be a repair job or a write off...

damage: osr bumper outer, osr light unit,

possible extras... inner rear bumper, rear defuser, scrates to tailgate.

2010 black vrs 37000 miles full service history, oil user too.

thanks

nick.

post-40037-0-70867900-1395853195_thumb.jpg

post-40037-0-92728400-1395853237_thumb.jpg

post-40037-0-15155100-1395853276_thumb.jpg

Edited by harcourt81

Sorry to hear that.

If getting over £4,000 in repairs/costs it might get to a Write Off stage.

Oil user has nothing to do with the Insurance Loss adjuster.

Your description does not sound like a lot of expense in repairs, 

but it is easy to get to £2,000-£3000 with Approved Insurance Company Body Repairers.

Any Pictures.?

What colour of car?

There is a Link on this page to a s2000/vRS front damage for getting used body panels,

and there are more around at breakers with front damage, than rear.

You will be suprised. I had an 8 year old Mk1 Octavia Ambiente Estate, 175k needed bonnet lights bumper wings slam panel and air con radiator thingy and all associated bits and pieces and they fixed it.

I got hit from behind by a taxi in a two year old Hona Civic 2.2 CDTI with 40-50k on it.

Really pretty bad smash, over 7k repair, but not written off.  Must have been close to half the value of the car.

Personally I didn't want it back.

re Interior.

Just because an Insurance Assessor writes them off,

it does not mean they are being broken for parts,

something beyond Economic Repair to the Insurance Underwriter goes off to the Repair Trade usually, Salvage Auctions.

Imagine you buy a lovely ex CAT D or C beautifully repaired,

only to find you have bought an Oil Burner!!!!

re Interior.

Just because an Insurance Assessor writes them off,

it does not mean they are being broken for parts,

something beyond Economic Repair to the Insurance Underwriter goes off to the Repair Trade usually, Salvage Auctions.

Imagine you buy a lovely ex CAT D or C beautifully repaired,

only to find you have bought an Oil Burner!!!!

192812E8-BBCA-44DA-88E6-A14582834A03.jpg

• Like 1

Rough Estimate/Guess as to what an Approved Repairer will put that as, as seen in the Pictures, 

under £1,000, but when they are providing a Courtesy car.

£700 would be enough and still give a good profit.

(and hopefully you get no messing about with it stripped but no bumper available.

so ask them if the bumper will be in before the cars goes in for the work.)

??

Do you have the Excess to pay, 

was the car just hit, and no idea of other vehicle, or do you know who?

If the repairs cost more than 60% of the value of the car then they'll probs write it off.

If the repair costs are less then the 60% value then they'll repair it.

60% of the market value is the figure that the Insurance companies use to determine the action taken.

A Favour,

Please look at your works table giving the market value of a 2010 vRS Oil Burner out of warranty.

Only minor Rear Accident Damage under £1,000. 

New Engine Required, £4,500 including labour. Or just keep topping up with oil.

Ah Mastercard.

• Like 1

I don't work in Claims so I wouldn't be able to see what it's worth but looking at it I doubt it would be a wrote off.

Harcourt81 is probably hoping it gets written off but he's stuck with it for a while longer me thinks.

If it helps to figure out costs. My mum bumper her rear bumper on her 2005 polo when it was new. Only the outter bit, needed a new one n sprayed up etc etc.

It cost £800 just for that.

I reckon thatll be a £5k job or somethin stupid by the time a repair centre (which knows its an insurance job) prices it up

Insurance companies use approved repairers where, more often than not, pre determined labour rates are set so they can't be overcharged and get the best possible price for the work done.

If a car is wrote off because of the uneconomical cost of repairs then the Insurance company will pay out for a replacement at market value then sell the car on to a Salvage yard to recover some of the costs paid out to the customer. 

They don't just break it for parts, the salvage company would decide whether to sell it on as damage repairable or break up for spare parts, sometimes, if the car is older, the insurance company make a payout then offer to sell it back to the customer for a fair fee if they want to repair it themselves.

Insurance companies use approved repairers where, more often than not, pre determined labour rates are set so they can't be overcharged and get the best possible price for the work done.

If a car is wrote off because of the uneconomical cost of repairs then the Insurance company will pay out for a replacement at market value then sell the car on to a Salvage yard to recover some of the costs paid out to the customer. 

They don't just break it for parts, the salvage company would decide whether to sell it on as damage repairable or break up for spare parts, sometimes, if the car is older, the insurance company make a payout then offer to sell it back to the customer for a fair fee if they want to repair it themselves.

A friend that used to live across the road from us had a red Nissan Primera (well, he had 2 (3 before he crashed the other one)) and someone broke into it and stole his stereo, needed a new tailgate and it got written off, so because he had another one he bought it back for spares.

• Like 1

It is needing a rear Bumper and light and some bits and pieces, then paint.

The Bumper can even be a Used one from a Front Damaged car.

It gets an Electrics check, and some other checks since people should be professional these days.

Pricing it on 5 hours labour is enough, they might do it as 8 hours.

Lets not turn a Little Knock into some major crisis.

• Like 1

Maybe gaz

However, in the instance of the polo rear bumper, they told us to get a quote from a place of our choice and send it to them for approval.

Also. When i wrote off my motorbike 2 years ago (not my fault may i add ;) haha) the insurance company asked me if it was possible for me to take it to any repair centre/dealer to get a quote. I took it down to the dealers and got talking to the owner there. He pretty much just asked me of i wanted it back, or if i would prefer it to be written off. I said id like it to be written off as ill only sell it if its back on the road. He was fine about that and stuck in a quote for repairs of £2700 on a bike worth £1300.

There was no way it would of cost that much.

I think these places have their means and ways haha. Probably depends alot on whether the dealer wants the work or not