Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

All gone very quite with you over the last few months.

Have you had a private result or are you still fight the seemingly loosing battle.

Hallo, back again.

Was deployed away, so to recap and update...:

Spark plug electrode dropped out and punched a hole through the piston in cylinder number 2. Took the dealer 4 weeks to diagnose this and get the ball rolling with the warranty company for the replacement engine. Before I left I asked them to complete the other service items that needed doing, plus the recall on the DSG gearbox, and also to sort out the tracking and alignment. I then deployed out of country for 6 weeks, came back to the country on Monday morning and phoned the dealership...

I was told that all the work had been completed "except for the alignment as we havent been able to squeeze that in yet". I replied that they had had the car for 6 weeks, and that it was unacceptable for that work to have not been completed, and that I would be picking the car up immediately and having the work completed elsewhere. I got delayed, ended up picking the car up yesterday lunchtime.

On the paperwork the list of the work said that a replacement block and head had been fitted, but everything from the manifolds forward and back had been stripped off the old engine and refitted. I asked whether anyone had bothered checking the catalyst or turbo due to them possibly being fragged by bits flying out when the spark plug gave out, and was told that no they hadnt, but they must be alright because they were fine on the test drive. I expressed my concern and displeasure at this but took the car anyway. On the drive home however I noticed a couple of issues, the car wasnt idling smoothly, it was hunting between 600-1000rpm for an idle, and coming to a halt at the lights it was idling steady at 1200rpm. Knocking it into neutral or park, still idling at 1200 rpm. Handbrake on, footbrake off and it returns to a hunting idle again. Pushing down on the footbrake and knocking it back into neutral it returns to the high idle again. Phoned the garage this morning to let them know and it is now going back in to them Monday evening for continuation work. I have made it clear that I will not be paying for any of this as it is an extension of work that should have been completed properly. My guess would be a sensor somewhere is either bust or not fitted correctly on the rebuild, educated guess the supercharger idle bypass valve or something in that region, but we shall see.

Phoned VW Finance to let them know the score also, they havent yet resolved the issue so I have contacted the Financial Ombudsman and got the ball rolling there, although in fairness to them VW Finance are the only ones making an effort to sort it out. I have had a callback from my complain handler this afternoon. He is still having trouble with the original Nuneaton dealer who sold me the car, so we will see what happens when he eventually is able to make headway.

Stay tuned....

muckingfuppet,thanks for coming back with the update. 

Your case is amazing !

New Engine £4500 simples. WTF. are they doing!!!!

Sorry to read that your case is unresolved - this is one for  Honest John .

• 2 weeks later...

So basically the upshot is the best that VW Finance can do is the original selling dealer buying the car back off me. I've rejected this offer and am awaiting a final decision notification from them, which will in due course all be forwarded to the financial ombudsman. In the mean time I have posted the car up for sale privately with VW finances permission and a settlement figure in hand.

And to top it all off a wheel bearing is now on its way out, so back to my local garage she goes next week...

So if anyone is interested in buying a VW Polo GTi...

So basically the upshot is the best that VW Finance can do is the original selling dealer buying the car back off me. I've rejected this offer and am awaiting a final decision notification from them, which will in due course all be forwarded to the financial ombudsman. In the mean time I have posted the car up for sale privately with VW finances permission and a settlement figure in hand.

And to top it all off a wheel bearing is now on its way out, so back to my local garage she goes next week...

So if anyone is interested in buying a VW Polo GTi...

That is CRAP treatment,WORSE than many of the Skoda Fabia vRS OWNERS have received.

Is the car now fixed and usable apart from requiring a wheel bearing, ?

which is no real biggie as long as it is not a drive shaft or the likes after the garage doing the engine.

Why not just use the car and enjoy it, ?

VW Polo GTI are not going to get you much in the way of a Trade In except at VW or somewhere that has a car they can not punt,

like at a Seat Dealership.

Yeah the car is back to spec now apart from the wheel bearing (rear right). I don't really want the car any more truth be told, I've had too much hassle and if I'm honest it's too switched off. I want to get back into something RWD again, a proper drivers car, instead of a jumped up shopping car. Put me back in a mk1 mx5 and I'll be happy again.

Edited by muckingfuppet

45 minute job to do the rear wheel bearing.

Enjoy what ever you get.

Bargains to be had in used GT86 / BRZ & you might find a dealer interested in your Polo.

There is a member had a MK2,

then a GT86, but he is back with a MK1 vRS i think.

sharkrider has a Mk2 vRS Estate & a Euros.

That is CRAP treatment,WORSE than many of the Skoda Fabia vRS OWNERS have received.

muckingfuppet,

Forgot to say, that I wish you all the best and that you can get a final result that is acceptable.

It 's just a shame that programmes like Watchdog done pick up cases like yours and expose the "Real Customer care" from Manufacturers like this.

Edited by vrskeith

Cheers guys. The case is with the financial ombudsman so we will see if anything comes of it before it sells. If it sells first then so be it. Just sick of this at the moment, want shot of it. Seems to be plaguing me at the moment, had two new tyres last week off the back of the MOT, and theyve both bulged already.... It never ends!

• 3 weeks later...

And to finish the story, the car has sold. Or specifically to a dealer in px for a mk1 mx5. Smiles for miles!

Glad that you are happyish!!

• 4 months later...

Yes they have,  i will bump the thread for you.

On a 2011 engine using oil they are likely a waste of time, but if VW are doing them for free let them.

I have heard from some people it has made an improvement but it depends on the engine I sapose. And whether or not VW do them for free is a different question.

Do you know the part number for these revised jets by any chance?

Best read the various threads.

Look for Goodwill from Volkswagen, a 2011 CAVE Engine is having issues to the Fundamental Design , Manufacturing & Quality Control in their Factory,

and they knew the issues when the cars were within Manufacturers Warranty.

Pursue them possibly to correct their inaction other than revising the Engines in 2012.

Plenty of threads in this section if you look back just a few pages.

?

Have you had the Service Campaign Field Action done on your DSG?

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

I got very annoyed with all their messing about testing mods etc. In the letter I sent to Alasdair Stewart, UK brand director I expressed my disappointment with them using my car to conduct their trials (or similar words).

The dealers decision to do the breather mod and ANOTHER oil consumption test was overturned the very next day and the engine was swapped.

Why waste so much time and money doing these mods when 9/10 engines are replaced anyway.

The chap I spoke to at Skoda today (executive complaints team or something) may as well have admitted the breather modification doesn't work. Not that i am suggesting it doesn't, I'm not technically trained. When I mentioned long term reliability of my new engine (which hasn't used any noticeable amount of oil in 1500 miles) he said once they are replaced they are sorted and will not have any issues again - would love that in writing! He blamed those who have had 2/3+ engines on technical screw ups and administration errors. He was adamant that all replaced CAVE engines were sound...

End of the phone call, a letter on its way offering my next service (first major one I think) FOC. I'm quite pleased with what I've got from them really, extended warranty until nearly the end of 2016 and cruise control retrofitted. Many say don't let them buy you off but I'm haven't. I've just taken best advantage I can from a what was, rubbish situation.

My letter is published on this forum under thread "which oil do I buy?".

whats the email address as according to skoda i have to pay for my next service ? and no extra warranty after my engine replacement :(

<snip> according to skoda i have to pay for my next service ? and no extra warranty after my engine replacement :(

What happened after this:

seems like a little squirter nozzle fixes the problem yipppieeeeee only problem now is cylinders burning hotter than each other and spark plugs chewing up the cylinders 

Skoda should certainly be ensuring that you have at least one years warranty if they have replaced the engine but why on earth would you expect NOT to pay for your next service?

Best read the various threads.

Look for Goodwill from Volkswagen, a 2011 CAVE Engine is having issues to the Fundamental Design , Manufacturing & Quality Control in their Factory,

and they knew the issues when the cars were within Manufacturers Warranty.

Pursue them possibly to correct their inaction other than revising the Engines in 2012.

Plenty of threads in this section if you look back just a few pages.

?

Have you had the Service Campaign Field Action done on your DSG?

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Not sure what this is sorry? What is this service campaign?

On the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG VW Announced a World Wide Recall in 2012 to change the Synthetic Oil to Mineral, Check the MCU , Update 

the Software & Extend the Warranty in some World Regions.

The World Wide Recall excluded Europe / UK. and was a Service Campaign only in some World Regions. But at least done properly.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Since 2013 VW / Skoda / Seat /Audi have been doing a Service Campaign in the UK.

Many Registered Keepers have never been told and many cars have not had this done still 2-3 years on.

When checking if your car will benefit from this,

maybe ask about the Oil Use with the Engine and what they want to do about that.

Thanks.

I found a page where you can check your vechile reg to see if thete are any recalls and it says there are none outstanding so if anything my next port of call is VW to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

What is this page and why don't you believe that it is accurate in relation to the DSG & ECU change?

ps - I suspect that this page is a New Zealand one, is accurate for the UK, has been known about on this forum for a long time but is kept secret for some strange reason.