Average house price now seven times average wage! How do we fix this?

lol-lol

This is why (ashamedly) im still in the family home. I am only 24 so i can get away with it for a bit longer. Im desperate to move out but dont want to rent as its dead money but i cant afford to save up 10k for a deposit. Well no sorry i can afford to save up but it would take me around 5 years to get anywhere close.

Especially living where i do, Whitby, the house prices are in their own little bubble here! 

This is why (ashamedly) im still in the family home. I am only 24 so i can get away with it for a bit longer. Im desperate to move out but dont want to rent as its dead money but i cant afford to save up 10k for a deposit. Well no sorry i can afford to save up but it would take me around 5 years to get anywhere close.

Especially living where i do, Whitby, the house prices are in their own little bubble here! 

Why does it take you 5 years to save 10k while living at home? That's £166 a month... or the same as a what, roughly £30k mortgage at around current rates? Even 10 years ago before all this kicked off (in the North, South was well in to it by then) you could barley afford afford a house (I bought as an FTB in 2003, iirc my mortgage was around £230 per month and I'd bought essentially a 'livable shell', it needed a complete overhall which sucked the rest of my money for a few years). Bluntly put you need to be saving more like £600 per month, if you can't do that you are not going to be able to buy or run a house.

Ive run a house before, i rented and im now back at mothers because i couldt afford to run it. Its quite hard when your by yourself!

Im saving but im a long way from any form of decent deposit

• Like 1

Remember when we had a reasonable quantity of gold reserves . . . and then along came Gordon and sold off over half our reserves. Not only did he do that, but warned the markets he was going to do it (with the obvious drop in prices) but then sold it via auction (which generally yielded a lower price than a fixed price sale). This cost the British public about £7B.

So half a billion vs seven billion - yeah, we all know about Labour's economic (in)competence!

Where do you get your figures, the Daily Mail or the like?

The under selling of the Post Office was £2.2B last time I looked not half a billion.

The UK gold stock were sold off at the market value at the time ie circa 400 USD per oz troy if I remember correctly.  Because of the western economies all being in the Doldrums for the last 5 years gold did go up by abou 5 fold in market value as a place of safety, it is traditional a good place to put cash for transfering it to hid its trail whilst it is eventually put to other uses and gold has now dropped by about a third from its peak, it is by nature a volitile commodity particularly in time of economic turmoil.  

The Con-Dems continue to sell the famly silver which would earn revenue over the next few years to try and rescue their clueless, apart from screwing public servants, economic plan., Lloyds shares are effectively being sod at less than real buy price but then the commission does line the pockets of Dave's mates.

I am not a fan of Gordon Brown but he was Chancellor during the longest period of economic growth since WW2 and was handed a crock of **** by the western banking collapse and is creited by many world leaders of stopping the cascade collapse.

I see mortgages rates from banks and scocieties are creeeping up and the interest rate rise is now predicted to be as early as later this year. 

Where do you get your figures, the Daily Mail or the like?

The under selling of the Post Office was £2.2B last time I looked not half a billion.

The UK gold stock were sold off at the market value at the time ie circa 400 USD per oz troy if I remember correctly.  Because of the western economies all being in the Doldrums for the last 5 years gold did go up by abou 5 fold in market value as a place of safety, it is traditional a good place to put cash for transfering it to hid its trail whilst it is eventually put to other uses and gold has now dropped by about a third from its peak, it is by nature a volitile commodity particularly in time of economic turmoil.  

The Con-Dems continue to sell the famly silver which would earn revenue over the next few years to try and rescue their clueless, apart from screwing public servants, economic plan., Lloyds shares are effectively being sod at less than real buy price but then the commission does line the pockets of Dave's mates.

I am not a fan of Gordon Brown but he was Chancellor during the longest period of economic growth since WW2 and was handed a crock of **** by the western banking collapse and is creited by many world leaders of stopping the cascade collapse.

I see mortgages rates from banks and scocieties are creeeping up and the interest rate rise is now predicted to be as early as later this year. 

Whatever the figure it's still but a fraction of the loss incurred by us over GB's scandalous gold sales (at $250 to $290 an ounce, btw).

And it was Labour that forced Lloyds to take on TSB and brought the bank to its knees. And if the Con-Dems are selling off the family silver (not as bad as giving away the family gold, mind you) it is to pay back for Labours economic mess.

As for being handed a "crock of ****" by the western banking collapse - really! He helped create it and then because he'd never saved enough during the "boom" years, he had no choice but to borrow billions and billions to save the banks because we had little in the way of reserves.

Blind panic is what changed GB's ways. After years of lying to the nation by telling us he was "prudent" when he was anything but and he was ending "boom and bust" when he was doing the opposite, he eventually changed his ways when he starred into the financial abyss, which was partly of his own making.

The longest period of economic growth since WW2 (already 5 years in the making under the Conservatives when he took over) resulted in the most catastrophic financial failure and a deep recession - thanks GB. History will judge GB as one of our worst ever chancellors. 

And to think he thought he was good enough to be prime minister - delusional barely describes it! Most of the Labour front bench thought the same but were too cowardly to do anything about it.

Thankfully Labour are the past and with the polls now turning against them (and in particular the two Ed's), hopefully they won't be the future either - the country can't afford them!

• Like 1

Whatever the figure it's still but a fraction of the loss incurred by us over GB's scandalous gold sales (at $250 to $290 an ounce, btw).

And it was Labour that forced Lloyds to take on TSB and brought the bank to its knees. And if the Con-Dems are selling off the family silver (not as bad as giving away the family gold, mind you) it is to pay back for Labours economic mess.

As for being handed a "crock of ****" by the western banking collapse - really! He helped create it and then because he'd never saved enough during the "boom" years, he had no choice but to borrow billions and billions to save the banks because we had little in the way of reserves.

Blind panic is what changed GB's ways. After years of lying to the nation by telling us he was "prudent" when he was anything but and he was ending "boom and bust" when he was doing the opposite, he eventually changed his ways when he starred into the financial abyss, which was partly of his own making.

The longest period of economic growth since WW2 (already 5 years in the making under the Conservatives when he took over) resulted in the most catastrophic financial failure and a deep recession - thanks GB. History will judge GB as one of our worst ever chancellors.

And to think he thought he was good enough to be prime minister - delusional barely describes it! Most of the Labour front bench thought the same but were too cowardly to do anything about it.

Thankfully Labour are the past and with the polls now turning against them (and in particular the two Ed's), hopefully they won't be the future either - the country can't afford them!

I'd have bought some gold at $290 an ounce considering at the time it was about $1600 for pure gold, well that's what I understand from all these gold programmes on disco.

You are spot on though but the labour lovers will never see it. Blind to the fact they've bought the country to its knees and now just focus on the fact that whoever is in charge is cutting everything back. Well it's hardly rocket science is it. If you overspend you have to cut back, labour lovers are just annoyed at losing their benefits that I'm paying for. But then again I work for a living and have two houses so that must make me a middle class tory boy.

I don't vote btw as they're all as bad as each other. Only one I see with principles is Ukip.

• Like 3

FWIW, I think Labours biggest problem is they can't admit they totally f**ked it up and even when they make an apology it's never sincere.

We're sorry, but I won't quit and I will just keep doing it. In fact, I'm only sorry I got caught, not that I did it in the first place.

• Like 1

As long as people are going to continue to blame this party or that party no real change is going to take place. Both sides repeatedly show their incompetence, forget about them they are out of touch, the whole political system needs completely redesigning from the ground up.

As long as people are going to continue to blame this party or that party no real change is going to take place. Both sides repeatedly show their incompetence, forget about them they are out of touch, the whole political system needs completely redesigning from the ground up.

Problem is a certain party have left the country broke every time they've got into power for any period of time. 1970's, 2000's...

That'll be the red party.

As for the system, it's fine. The MP's need to get some honour and step down when they mess up. Admit fault and stop playing the system for as much money as possible. Making sure every vote was a free vote would be nice, but it'll never happen.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Problem is a certain party have left the country broke every time they've got into power for any period of time. 1970's, 2000's...

That'll be the red party.

As for the system, it's fine. The MP's need to get some honour and step down when they mess up. Admit fault and stop playing the system for as much money as possible. Making sure every vote was a free vote would be nice, but it'll never happen.

Just plain wrong sadly as you are a victim of press properganda.

Labour in government 75-79  national debt drops from 52% to 45%

Rises under Tories third term 92-97 rises (near doubles) from 25% to 42% during ERM and interest rate debacle

Falls under Labour first and second term -1997 -2005  - from 42% to 32%

Rise under Labour third term bank bailouts to 50 %.

Rises from 50% to 100% of GDP under Con-Dems "stewardship" 

public-sector-debt-perc-gdp-hmT.png

• Like 1

Aren't they completely missing the point that you'll own a house at the end of it?

Yes, your monthly outgoings might be a bit less if you are renting, but even if it takes you thirty five years to buy the house, you'll be better off in the long run.

Just plain wrong sadly as you are a victim of press properganda.

Labour in government 75-79  national debt drops from 52% to 45%

Rises under Tories third term 92-97 rises (near doubles) from 25% to 42% during ERM and interest rate debacle 

Falls under Labour first and second term -1997 -2005  - from 42% to 32%

Rise under Labour third term bank bailouts to 50 %.

Rises from 50% to 100% of GDP under Con-Dems "stewardship" 

public-sector-debt-perc-gdp-hmT.png

The GDP to debt ratio is fairly meaningless as it compares two variables. At present it's forecast to peak in 15/16 at 74.6%.

The worst thing is that Labour only ran a budget surplus for the first 4 years (97 to 01) in office when they generally followed Conservative spending targets. After that they sprayed money at all their supporters and started running ever larger budget deficits (from +£8.4B in 2001 to -£19.0B in 2002 alone!), as GB decided he hadn't really meant his "Golden Rule" to be taken literally!

A decent Chancellor would have brought borrowing to virtually zero given the longest run of growth since WW2 and all the tax revenues that was bringing in, but GB was adding £30B to £40B a year to national debt from 2003 to 2007. Darling then increased it by £69B in 2008 and then £156B in 2009. Since then, Osborne has been bringing the annual increases in national debt down steadily to below £100B in 2012.

The two Ed's unfunded spending plans that they would have implemented would probably have taken the annual increase in the budget deficit to £200B a year or more. So, we should all be grateful they didn't get re-elected in 2010. And hopefully we'll be spared their spending excesses in 2015 as well.

Oh, and don't forget Labour had to go to the IMF in 1975 and get $3.9B bailout - further proof (if it was needed) of Labours economically (in)competent legacy!

Edited by jlwah

How to fix it?

Overthrow the establishment.

Or just recognize it for what it is. They are irrelevant, they are corrupt, they are incompetent, they are in the pocket of big business. How many people on here have voted for Labour or conservative in the last 2 elections? Let me ask you, did they achieved what they promised they would? No they country keeps sliding while they keep lining their pockets.

It's a meaningless choice that produces the same results as it always has. Einstein says the definition of insanity, is too keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. He also said you cannot solve a problem using the same level of consciousness that created it. So why the hell would anyone vote when it quite clearly doesn't get you anywhere. Craziness.

I like the way George Carlin explained it, a very intelligent, articulate comedian genius, shame he's dead we need people like him, not miliband, cameron or the rest of the cronies.

Edited by theezenutz
  • Like 1

Or just recognize it for what it is. They are irrelevant, they are corrupt, they are incompetent, they are in the pocket of big business. How many people on here have voted for Labour or conservative in the last 2 elections? Let me ask you, did they achieved what they promised they would? No they country keeps sliding while they keep lining their pockets.

It's a meaningless choice that produces the same results as it always has. Einstein says the definition of insanity, is too keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. He also said you cannot solve a problem using the same level of consciousness that created it. So why the hell would anyone vote when it quite clearly doesn't get you anywhere. Craziness.

I like the way George Carlin explained it, a very intelligent, articulate comedian genius, shame he's dead we need people like him, not miliband, cameron or the rest of the cronies.

Then get up and do something about it. Use your rights, stand for election, make a fuss, get other people interested and involved.

To sit there and bemoan the system and those in power whilst having absolutely no intention of doing anything about is worse than just doing the same thing again and again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Then get up and do something about it. Use your rights, stand for election, make a fuss, get other people interested and involved.

To sit there and bemoan the system and those in power whilst having absolutely no intention of doing anything about is worse than just doing the same thing again and again.

That doesn't make sense. Why would I waste my time in doing something that doesn't benefit me. When their is real change offered up that reflects my values, the direction that I'd like to see our country/world take then absolutely I will do something about it.

Make a fuss? Is that not what I've been doing? Is that not the reason you been following me around calling me names whipping support from your buddies? Wether it's on a "car forum" or not I'm trying but you don't like that. Oh well tuff go cry me a river.

Until then, voting for the lesser of two evils is not something I'm willing to do, neither is the back and forth arguments with you.

The way I see it I've never voted therefore I take no claim to the mess that we find ourselves in, even though I'm part of the generation left to clean up this mess. Life's a batch.

Edited by theezenutz
  • Like 1

Many, if not most, votes are cast to keep other parties out who you feel are gonig to damage the society you believe in.

So I will probably vote Labour, and have just rejoined the Labour party to help them get their message across, to hopefully stop the Tories with their current plan to create the haves and have nots.

Also millions of Tories will not for another party, mainly UKIP it appears, as they seem to prefer the UKIP anti-non-British stance, gay marriage and other liberal agendas.

Looks liek we are heading for an Italian style fractured elected official certainly for Europe and possibly in the General Election too.

That doesn't make sense. Why would I waste my time in doing something that doesn't benefit me. When their is real change offered up that reflects my values, the direction that I'd like to see our country/world take then absolutely I will do something about it.

Make a fuss? Is that not what I've been doing? Is that not the reason you been following me around calling me names whipping support from your buddies? Wether it's on a "car forum" or not I'm trying but you don't like that. Oh well tuff go cry me a river.

Until then, voting for the lesser of two evils is not something I'm willing to do, neither is the back and forth arguments with you.

The way I see it I've never voted therefore I take no claim to the mess that we find ourselves in, even though I'm part of the generation left to clean up this mess. Life's a batch.

You're doing the equivalent of sitting at the bar moaning to your mates. I'm talking about standing up at Speaker's Corner. Stand as a independent councillor, an MP, an MEP. Either you try and change the system from the inside or from the outside. No guarantee either will work but doing nothing certainly won't achieve anything.

I am seriously considering a "non of the above" vote next week.

If I thought I would make a good public speaker / politician then I would do something but I'm not and anyway my family has to come first at the moment.

I have not called you names. I may have offered alternative viewpoints or pointed out problems with things you have linked to but nothing against you personally.

• Like 1

You're doing the equivalent of sitting at the bar moaning to your mates. I'm talking about standing up at Speaker's Corner. Stand as a independent councillor, an MP, an MEP. Either you try and change the system from the inside or from the outside. No guarantee either will work but doing nothing certainly won't achieve anything.

I am seriously considering a "non of the above" vote next week.

If I thought I would make a good public speaker / politician then I would do something but I'm not and anyway my family has to come first at the moment.

I have not called you names. I may have offered alternative viewpoints or pointed out problems with things you have linked to but nothing against you personally.

Se-nt from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ok well you do your thing I'll do mine everybody's happy. We are all different with different strengths and weaknesses different views and opinions, what works for you or another is not necessarily going to work for me. But continuously trying to seek a reaction out me ain't going to help. You don't know the first thing about me so to pass judgements is a little silly.

Edited by theezenutz

Many, if not most, votes are cast to keep other parties out who you feel are gonig to damage the society you believe in.

So I will probably vote Labour, and have just rejoined the Labour party to help them get their message across, to hopefully stop the Tories with their current plan to create the haves and have nots.

Also millions of Tories will not for another party, mainly UKIP it appears, as they seem to prefer the UKIP anti-non-British stance, gay marriage and other liberal agendas.

Looks liek we are heading for an Italian style fractured elected official certainly for Europe and possibly in the General Election too.

Well with all the tax you've "saved" you should be able to help Labour with a couple of billboard posters!

I think you meant that many Tories will vote for UKIP, which may be correct at the European elections but won't be repeated at the general election. And tactical voting has been going on as long as there has been voting!

Obviously the bias in the electoral boundaries means that even with less votes than the Conservatives, Labour can secure a majority, but as recent polls have suggested, it looks like the tide is turning. Hopefully the Scots will vote for independence and then the Tories will get in with a small majority, sort out the boundary inequality and hey presto, no more Labour governments to ruin the economy! 

Nah I'm sorry but that is not something I'm willing to do. I have thought about voting for ukip, as I actually quite like Nigel Farage as a person he's a breath of fresh air to politics, but I just don't think it will make a difference in the long-term.

Using your vote to vote in a party to stop another party getting in, to me sounds crazy but I can understand why people would do so. I however, choose to use another form of protest as in not to bother. They do not represent me therefore I will not represent them. Right or wrong that is what I will do.

I've been looking at the European candidates. The Pirate party seems like a good option. Can't be any worse than that idiot on C4 news tonight - 

Interviewer (about the recession) "there is evidence that 99% of people are hurting out there".

Tory "Well with the tax paid by the top 1% that are working, and keeping the rest of the country, there's no problem"

or words to that effect.  

• Like 1