Is this sad?

Dinski

Ok does anyone think I'm taking it a bit too far to go to a scrapers and buy a small bonnet? Something like a fiat 500 bonnet that is small so I can practice machine polishing?

And also do a lot of product testing on too!

Many have done this before.

I use the missus' car as a test bench.

With a DA and a white Hexlogic pad and the products you have, you would need to go seriously chicken oriental on the bonnet to do any harm though Carl.

I was thinking more of the size and it being convenient to work on in the garage under good light.

But I'm glad to see people think it's not a bad idea.

Anyone know any decent scrapers around the Queensbury Halifax area?

Could try http://www.247spares.co.uk/ or http://www.1stchoice.co.uk/, put in a part request for a bonnet for a common car and any colour you wish (makes it cheaper, find a reg off auto trader if it helps) and you'll get some quotes back. I got some calipers this way and ended up with a cheap quote from a place in Little Horton which looked dodgy as anything, but they were cheap :)

• Like 1

Ok does anyone think I'm taking it a bit too far to go to a scrapers and buy a small bonnet? Something like a fiat 500 bonnet that is small so I can practice machine polishing?

Just take machine polisher to scrappers and polish away any car you want, (the scrappers won't mind I'm sure).. LOL

• Like 1

Personally I'd love to do this, but I'd go for a bonnet off of a red Fabia (or Citigo), so you know the paint is going to behave the same, colour wise and thickness. But then I don't know much about this stuff so I'll shut up now.

• Like 1

Not sad by any means. Its the best way to learn. 

You only learn from trial and error. This is the best way to learn both without damaging something much more expensive like your own car. 

Once you've learned the basics of machine polishing you can then work onto paint correction and then putting different severities of scratches can learn how to do your own smart repairs and how to wet sand a scratch or chip after you've filled it in with paint. 

I always suggest after getting a machine, be it rotary, random orbital or regular DA to get a bonnet, preferably one with curved edges and raised channels so they can learn not just on flat surfaces but on the different aspects of a cars body. 

• Like 1

And to think I was worried people would think I have some weird OCD.

Glad to see the general consensus is that it's a good idea then.

Thanks everyone.... Now to find a bonnet!

• Like 2

And to think I was worried people would think I have some weird OCD.

Glad to see the general consensus is that it's a good idea then.

Thanks everyone.... Now to find a bonnet!

Oh no, I never said it wasn't sad from people from a non detailing perspective, but from ours its fine. To the majority of the world we are sad individuals trying to catch a metaphorical unicorn of paint perfection and cleanliness of a thing everyone loves to say "but it'll only get dirty again", when someone says this to you, just reply "well you wipe your bum don't you?". That usually gets rid of them for a while. 

• Like 1

Oh no, I never said it wasn't sad from people from a non detailing perspective, but from ours its fine. To the majority of the world we are sad individuals trying to catch a metaphorical unicorn of paint perfection and cleanliness of a thing everyone loves to say "but it'll only get dirty again", when someone says this to you, just reply "well you wipe your bum don't you?". That usually gets rid of them for a while.

This is very true, we are a rare breed, but best of breed I would say.

And I actually did lol at wipe your bum :D

• Like 1

No thats a great idea. If you mess up least its not your bonnet

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Technically it is, because he's paid for it...  :rofl:

• Like 2