xenon lights

The car I have shaken on has factory fit xenon's, just looking into this looks like 1 bulb will cost around £100, is this true or are there better prices available?

Also how do they work do they blow like a standard bulb or do they have a longer life?  What is the system like, any known issues?

I am aware I am buying a 9 year old car and little things like this go!

If all goes well should get the car later on in the week, so will probs attend a kent meet late April early May.

I know it's easy to fixate on 'what if' etc when looking at a car but if a bulb blows, it blows, you can buy a new one and no you don't have to pay dealer rrp. They're a nice option to have and quite a popular retrofit as they're considerably better than the halogen's most come with, check it has the washers as well and no alignment dial on the controls or it's likely not been a factory install (check the build codes sticker in the boot to be 100%).

Edited by Avalon

I know it's easy to fixate on 'what if' etc when looking at a car but if a bulb blows, it blows, you can buy a new one and no you don't have to pay dealer rrp. They're a nice option to have and quite a popular retrofit as they're considerably better than the halogen's most come with, check it has the washers as well and no alignment dial on the controls or it's likely not been a factory install (check the build codes sticker in the boot to be 100%).

Thanks for the tips, i found the prices on eurocarparts website, I know they often have xx% off products via discount codes. 

I like that the car has them, and its not going to stop me buying just wanted some info. The car has a fairly high spec, so I expect there will be some elec maintenance needed (sunroof, heated seats, lights)

You should always replace xenon bulbs in pairs as the colour of them will vary between old and new bulbs.

I bought mine from my local Motorfactors and paid £68 for the pair. Cheapest branded bulbs I could find was £78 each for Philips.

You should always replace xenon bulbs in pairs as the colour of them will vary between old and new bulbs.

I bought mine from my local Motorfactors and paid £68 for the pair. Cheapest branded bulbs I could find was £78 each for Philips.

Thanks great info did'nt know that! and those prices seem reasonable. 

Any tips on how to improve the life of them, or do they just expire?

Replaced mine for the first time a couple months ago, got a pair of OSRAM blue ones for £100 to replace with (one of the old ones turned pink one day and had some issues starting up).

The originals lasted 9 years on the car, which seems reasonable to me if the new ones do the same; just over a tenner a year :D 

As a warning though, it's a massive pain to physically change the bulbs unless you're happy removing bits in the engine bay (removing battery is almost required for the offside).

Replaced mine for the first time a couple months ago, got a pair of OSRAM blue ones for £100 to replace with (one of the old ones turned pink one day and had some issues starting up).

The originals lasted 9 years on the car, which seems reasonable to me if the new ones do the same; just over a tenner a year :D

As a warning though, it's a massive pain to physically change the bulbs unless you're happy removing bits in the engine bay (removing battery is almost required for the offside).

Thanks, not a 5 min job then!

Took me an hour and a half to do both.

I'm am pretty useless though. And I had an injured back. So possibly less for someone vaguely competent :)

nearside ;)

• Like 1

Indeed, yes. Nearside.

I had a vision of my car parked infront of the house when I did that. But I'm parked on the right :D oops.

• Like 1

Took me an hour and a half to do both.

I'm am pretty useless though. And I had an injured back. So possibly less for someone vaguely competent :)

This will take me longer as I am far from competent!

Thanks, not a 5 min job then!

To be completely fair, it's not only a massive PITA with the D2S HID elements. I had a failed sidelight the other day. 1 1/2 mucky hours later, I had minor scrapes and scratches but the bulbs were in. Fortunately, remembered that I had 50% uprated headlight bulbs knocking around, so switched those out too.

Love my xenons.

as said make sure its got the washers and only one dial near the headlight switch for the dash brightness. Thoes are tell tail signs that they are an after thought retro fit.

they are a lot brighter and mine seem to be lasting and they are on all the time. Goe to work in dark mostly or come home sometimes both so they get used.

never looked at replacement bulbs as mine seem to be ok.

think they just go dull after a while then dint ignite. Unlike halogen ones that just pop?