DPF Removal and MOT

Anzio

Its not just the insurance issue, I'm sure HM customs and excise might have something to say as you are effectively paying a lower road fund licence for having a DPF  

Cats on petrol cars produce CO2, the Government aren't stupid, force manufacturers to add a device that makes CO2 and then base a tax system on the CO2 produced - genius.

There is research indicating that the smaller particles given off by a regenerating DPF may be more harmful to health than that of normal diesel soot. HCCI petrol engines may be the future solution, or further after treatment systems. I have had two high mileage cars with DPFs with no problems, even though they spent much time plodding about with learners driving. Seems that usage patterns are critical to DPF health. Perhaps allowing drivers more control over a regen cycle could help? Or forced additive fired regen every service?

Chris

Edited by Chris GB

Around here the MOT testers have started failing cars with both aftermarket fake DPFs and eviscerated originals. I haven't had a chance to speak to any of the testers yet to see how they know a DPF 'can' is empty.

With the amount of carbon particulate **** that is currently migrating through the ventilation slits of my house windows here in London, I would recommend that people leave their DPFs in place and just simply maintain them properly.

Nick

Maintain them properly? They are maintenance free.

Once a DPF fills with ash it's done, dead, caput.

Want to replace your 'filter' sir? That'll be £1000+ please.

The only way to prolong their life is to run the car further and faster, hardly helping what's coming through your windows.

Let me recommend some DPF maintenance, take it to a trusted garage, open it up, remove the stupid thing, weld it back up and enjoy troublefree motoring.

By the time the MOT test is able to determine whether the DPF is working we'll all be long gone.

Fine, fit as many pollution reducing systems as you want, but make sure they work properly first.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I recently had a trio of problems with my 2011 Skoda Fabia 1.6 diesiel. The  EGR warning light came on and the local garage diagnosed that the Inlet manifold motor had failed; £275 for a replacement (which no longer has a motor or valves fitted). Then the diagnostics said that the EGR had motor failed, another big bill but fortunately I got one from a crashed vehicle so it was only £50 (and my garage fitted it free!). The the DPF itself failed to regen and the diagnostics said it was too choked up to permit a forced regen.

The choices are a DPF clean at £350 which some people say only lasts 6-12 months; a removal at £450 which puts my pollution levels up or a replacement which means being ripped off by Skoda even more than they've done already - £1200 for a DPF plus fitting costs as well.

Skoda UK were absolutely not interested in helping in any way except telling me that I should show 'loyalty' by using their approved dealers at twice the labour charges of my equally capable local garages.

The absolute cynic in me is telling me that this all just a combined ploy between the gubbermunt and manufacturers to sell more cars, and therefore more tax revenue from the unsuspecting sheeple, all nicely hidden behind a great big green smoke screen.

Why pay upwards of a thousand pounds on a new DPF when in just 7-10 years, the car will be worth even less?

Found a way around this problem then have we?

Well we'll soon close that loop hole. :wall:

I recently had a trio of problems with my 2011 Skoda Fabia 1.6 diesiel. The  EGR warning light came on and the local garage diagnosed that the Inlet manifold motor had failed; £275 for a replacement (which no longer has a motor or valves fitted). Then the diagnostics said that the EGR had motor failed, another big bill but fortunately I got one from a crashed vehicle so it was only £50 (and my garage fitted it free!). The the DPF itself failed to regen and the diagnostics said it was too choked up to permit a forced regen.

The choices are a DPF clean at £350 which some people say only lasts 6-12 months; a removal at £450 which puts my pollution levels up or a replacement which means being ripped off by Skoda even more than they've done already - £1200 for a DPF plus fitting costs as well.

Skoda UK were absolutely not interested in helping in any way except telling me that I should show 'loyalty' by using their approved dealers at twice the labour charges of my equally capable local garages.

No disrespect at all, but why would they?

They've had your money, now you can sod off basically.  :devil:

Even at the risk at upsetting you, do you REALLY think they're bothered?

Not in the least.

You're just a mere one figure on their units sold list in the past....an irrelevance, that is until you get hoodwinked into parting with more of your hard earned.

Edited by Mr Ree

The absolute cynic in me is telling me that this all just a combined ploy between the gubbermunt and manufacturers to sell more cars, and therefore more tax revenue from the unsuspecting sheeple, all nicely hidden behind a great big green smoke screen.

Why pay upwards of a thousand pounds on a new DPF when in just 7-10 years, the car will be worth even less?

Found a way around this problem then have we?

Well we'll soon close that loop hole. :wall:

Funny you should say that.

Driving a non-Euro 6 diesel engined car sir? That'll be another £10 please.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

No mention of the filthy smoking buses.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The UK Government / DfT are always talking change, so again talking MOT manual change May 2018.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41761864 

I guess this will be aimed at those who have removed the DPF from their diesel powered car??

I was always amused by seeing a sign at a local MOT station, proudly stating they MOT'd diesel cars, but also provided a de-catting / DPF removal service! 

I do wonder if the government / DfT have any intention (or capability) of looking at the cars ECU. Mine is listed as having had the EU mandated / agreed EA189 diesel emissions update, whereas in reality I it was subsequently re-mapped. I have no idea what the map has done to NOx / CO2 emissions, although it passed the current MOT test (smoke test only) without any issue.

I had read the German goverment were planning to read ECU's and effectively outlaw cars with altered ECU maps / remaps. I recently read any car without the EA189 update in place would also be considered "unroadworthy". I can't put my finger on the specific sources of this information currently, although will post back when i find them in my history.

I aslo recall this (2015) article regarding potential MOT changes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11952066/VW-owners-could-fail-MOTs-if-they-ignore-recall.html

Will be interesting to see if my car remains "roadworthy".

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Thanks 1

The Governments in the UK / EU can have testing stations with the capabilities and equipment and then introduce the legislation to check vehicles via the OBD Port 

as other Countries have and States in the USA.

They ran Pilot Schemes in the UK on Motorcycles.

EU Type Approval's and then changes from Factory Spec.

The UK Government even talked the talk, as the EU did, just never went further.

The Factory Weight & Spec of cars are on the V5 and vehicles VIN records.

Noise, Emissions etc as from the Type Approval.

So easy to do the checks on 'None Standard, Engine or Suspension, Brakes, Body etc.

Weigh, inspect tyre sizes, Exhaust / OBD / not meets the EU tests and paper work.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Issue is The Manufacturers vehicles never met the Spec anyway as that was in Temperature Controlled Buildings on a Rolling road, 

& the new Tests since September 1st that are real world are not every real world of drivers.

Cars tested minus passengers, luggage or a trailer or caravan on the tow bar.