Fuse box blow out! :(

Hey guys, I've had a bit of a nightmare, yesterday tea time I was driving home in the octy when my radio went off then came back on, about a minute later the car was in limp home mode. After another 5 minutes my car finally gave up.

I pulled over and tried and and nothing. I rang the AA after 40minutes he turned up.

The black cable from the alternator had melted the plastic around it but it was all in tacked!

The AA guy checked all the cables with a volt meter and the cable was just drawing to much power/heat, he then bypassed the fuse so I could drive it to the garage.

I got it there. My mechanic texted me today saying he'd order the bits from skoda,

Fuse £4

Fuse box £63

Alternator cable £53

Does that sound right? £165 he's charging me in total with parts.

Thanks

That probably is the cost of parts.

Makes me think I should charge more for that alternator cable from battery to alternator.  I got £10 for the last one and thought that was "nice" - Now I know what they really cost :D

Wondering now if I have another downstairs.  Pretty sure i have a fuse box setup anyway.  I do!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141248326436?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

thanks for that cable devon lol 

haha!  Trust you!  :D  I didn't care really.

I do have another one spare, but there is no way I can access it, and won't be for 3 weeks or more.

Alternator charge cable sounds about right, as I rang a dealer a while ago and was amazed at the price. :-(

You have to remember that it is a loom - not a single cable. For a car with a/c, it includes the alternator control wires (2), a/c clutch wires (2) and connectors (3). Those extra wires are heat shrunk to the main cable.

When I've made these cables up, I've always added 70mm of adhesive lined heat shrink covering the crimp joint. It adds some vibration resistance and keeps the moisture out.

If I didn't need my car for work I would of snapped that right from you! At least I'll have piece of mind that it shouldn't happen again! Just not what needed to be stung with in the middle of the week! Recaro seat money has gone now :(

Gutted mate got me paranoid now will be checking the octy when the missus gets in was it just melted at the fuse box end? 

Gutted mate got me paranoid now will be checking the octy when the missus gets in was it just melted at the fuse box end?

Yea Chris just melted the fuse box end. There is some bolts that are plastic welded into the actually box, on mine it had melted the box so this bolt came out and was free to move about! Pita!

Mine went not so long ago, Bought a fuse box from a golf and modified it, cut and re-crimpped the end. Been perfect since and I keep checking its not getting hot.

This is a very common issue and probably why dealers charge a lot for the cable.

The main issue is normally the crimps in the ends of the wires start building up resistance from either poor connection and or damage over time. 

Once that resistance starts it is a slippery slope to finally fuse box melting as the 120amps soon destroys the plastic with the extreme heat of the crimps resistance is causing.

If you feel the battery fuses and they are hot this is a sure sign you have the start of the issue.

It can be repaired by replacing just the crimp but depends on how far the resistance and heat has caused on the main cable.

I just cut out the poor cable section and crimp and replaced with one Ii cut from a scrappy,  and job done.

Here is a brief guide:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/220346-battery-issues-fuse-box-melting/

Also just replacing fuse box is not always the fix 

Yeh this is deffo a common problem. Had same issue with mine a little while back. Not a difficult job to do yourself to be honest. If you get desperate I have a spare fusebox and cable complete that I could sell.