Brighter headlamps for my Skoda Fabia ambiente

I have a Skoda Fabia ambiente circa 2005-06.  It had only  light use (one previous owner) when I bought it, is in good running order with low mileage (35,000miles) so good to go for a while yet. Increasingly I notice that motorways lights are being turned off and the other day I was driving on the M27-M3 on a very dark damp overcast night and became aware that there were several stretches where the cats eyes were completely worn out and not functioning. I started thinking some brighter headlamps might be handy.

The next day I spoke to Dave at my local garage  (not a Skoda dealership) and he said Skoda only recommend fitting the original spec headlamps. If I wanted something brighter I would need to get an OEM model say from Halfords.

Has anyone here changed their  original Fabia headlamps for something brighter? Was it difficult? What did you replace the original bulbs with? Halogen or Xenon? Where from? How effective are they? If non approved by Skoda do I need to get them on my insurance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Edited by honeyrose

Don't bother with xenons.

Simply put a pair of these bulbs in.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Fabia_1.9_2003/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177022N&1&9a9bc1815a60beb2fc310e519da4f77aca9cba6d&000384

They are far far brighter than the standard bulbs.

• Like 1

Philips X-Treme Vision are another option and What Car preferred them in testing but they aren't cheap but the Osram's are very good and a lot cheaper.

Do make sure the headlight level setting (on your right, next to the headlight switch) is set to " - " (dash) rather than 1, 2, or 3. The higher setting lower the dipped beam further, for when you've a heavy load in the rear of the car.

This with some of those Osram/Philips/Ring/Whatever bulbs should do you fine.

Thanks for all the advice. A number of people have recommended Philips Xtreme bulbs but they seem to come in several different types H1 , H4, H7 and I cannot see from looking them up, what the difference is between them. Anyone know?

You need the H7 bulbs for your main and dipped beam headlights mate, personally I have the Night Breakers in my Fabia and find them to be excellent.

H 4's are for the MK 1 Octavia dipped / main beam  and the H 1's I think are for the front driving lamps on both Octy and Fabia.

Edited by Coffin Dodger

Thanks for all the advice. A number of people have recommended Philips Xtreme bulbs but they seem to come in several different types H1 , H4, H7 and I cannot see from looking them up, what the difference is between them. Anyone know?

The dipped beam in the Fabia is H7.

With those Osram bulbs, I hardly find the need for full beam anymore.

I've just got some 65w osram rally bulbs for the dipped. And 100w ring for the main about £20 for them both. The difference is amazing

100w bulbs aren't legal in this application (on the road) but more importantly you run the risk of melting the loom, connector or the reflector which isn't good. Granted it's not like you'll be driving about all day with your main beam on so over a short period of use it should be OK but i'd not suggest it's a good idea.

I was a bit worried myself but I am keeping an eye on them. And everyone else doesn't seem to have had a problem. Next stage is maybe to relay them up. But this might cause more heat as they will potetionally have a higher voltage to them.

I have a Skoda Fabia ambiente circa 2005-06.  It had only  light use (one previous owner) when I bought it, is in good running order with low mileage (35,000miles) so good to go for a while yet. Increasingly I notice that motorways lights are being turned off and the other day I was driving on the M27-M3 on a very dark damp overcast night and became aware that there were several stretches where the cats eyes were completely worn out and not functioning. I started thinking some brighter headlamps might be handy.

The next day I spoke to Dave at my local garage  (not a Skoda dealership) and he said Skoda only recommend fitting the original spec headlamps. If I wanted something brighter I would need to get an OEM model say from Halfords.

Has anyone here changed their  original Fabia headlamps for something brighter? Was it difficult? What did you replace the original bulbs with? Halogen or Xenon? Where from? How effective are they? If non approved by Skoda do I need to get them on my insurance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

You may find that the polycarbonate headlamp lenses have degraded significantly since the car was new and need stripping and polishing.