I had to order new brake discs

Emil

Uneven braking power at low speed, like when you are are about to stop to traffic lights. It doesn't vibrate steering wheel.

Mine were perfect when I sold my Sport with 20K on the clock [emoji4]

You thought so... :P

The best idea is to take picture of front disc... Try it and post here... :)

• 2 years later...

Just a bit of a bump. 

I have been looking at and intending to buy a Citigo / Up! with ASG that are still in Manufacturers warranty just, and out of 4 i have driven all have had warped discs that seem to be original fitment, 

maybe not still the same discs though, all 4 were under 25,000 miles. 

Just a quick question to those with a 2014 on that had to have Brake Discs replaced under warranty, 

Did the Dealership you went to make a song and a dance about it, or just check the Brakes Performance or do a road test and then get a claim into Skoda UK, 

the discs and pads replaced. 

thanks.

george

PS

I know how easy it is to fit replacement discs and pads, and i will do this, 

but only after finding if Skoda UK already have, and making them do it again if it turns out there were poor quality OEM or OEM Warranty replaced discs on.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Now when this bumped I say choose aftermarket pads and you'll be fine. Less friction in front brakes makes them run cooler. No more warped discs. 

You can go and dance with a dealer, but I wouldn't bother. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

I read what you did.

Personally i will not dance with a Dealership or their employees acting as my Agent and the Manufacturers i will deal direct with the Warranty Provider / Manufacturer if needs must.

Just asking how customer / owners in the UK have been getting dealt with, 

as it is i will use Customer Rights and UK / EU law to be sure that any Used Vehicle purchased is still fit for purpose and if VW Group procured or fitted faulty parts they will be fitting fit for purpose, and that is not Brake Discs that are gash in under 20,000 miles / 3 years, or Warranty replaced ones not seeing out the Original Manufacturers Warranty.

• 2 months later...

I don’t remember which ones they were however the surface was flat I have noticed that some pads have the edges turned down I was wondering if this would make a difference

it has gone through three sets of discs in ten thousand miles though I have had enough now it’s like driving a ship in rough seas at slow speeds 

EBC Greenstuff on one and EBC Ultimax on another. Latter seems to work better. With Greenstuff about 30 000km now but needs new discs. With Ultimax about 30 000km and no judder so far. 

On 29/03/2018 at 15:31, Emil said:

EBC Greenstuff on one and EBC Ultimax on another. Latter seems to work better. With Greenstuff about 30 000km now but needs new discs. With Ultimax about 30 000km and no judder so far. 

Can I ask 

on the ultimax was the pad surface completely flat or tapered down on the edge?

i think this is part of the problem I grinded the edge down today so they have a taper like some I have seen and they are much better 

I can't remember. I'm sorry. 

I think that OEM pads are too aggressive. Too much metal in them. Too much friction, which creates too much heat. -> warped discs. 

Friction is good for ESP and "City safe drive", but not so good for disc mileage. That's why I choose Ultimax again. 

30 minutes ago, Emil said:

I can't remember. I'm sorry. 

I think that OEM pads are too aggressive. Too much metal in them. Too much friction, which creates too much heat. -> warped discs. 

Friction is good for ESP and "City safe drive", but not so good for disc mileage. That's why I choose Ultimax again. 

Thanks for the help.

I got a set on order from ebc 106 pound for the discs and pads so not too bad.

the pads I got in are full of metal I grinded the sides down today to give them less grab as the brake pedal was rock hard when I grinded them the sparks were flying off them. 

Saying that they are much better better now a bit more travel on the pedal and the jerky feeling is much less and more controllable on the brake. My head doesn’t go through the window by  just breathing on the pedal.

i used a run out gauge and they are warped slightly with a dark patch on the disc.

• 3 months later...

So it is time to purchase another set of discs and pads. Not sure which to choose. I think there is about 40000km at odometer. 

I've been thinking oem discs and Ultimax pads. That the combo which worked well on our previous Citigo which we traded for vw up! Tsi. EBC discs seems to be a bit pricey. 

And yes, up! have these same issues. And why not. It's the same car. Ours doesn't have problems yet but I know what to expect. With up! I'm going to visit a dealer if and when problems with brakes occurs. 

• 8 months later...

And it's juddering again. :D This time it could be corroded drums at the rear. Car is going to garage for the summer. So I'll check what's wrong with it during the summer. 

No juddering with our up! TSI though. 17000km already. Something different there. :wondering:

Interesting...

I cant recal swmbo getting new discs as yet, but im pretty sure last last service got new pads. 

Its a 2013 , on 46000km now, and i havnt felt or noticed any brake issues.

I may have a nosey as to whats on it..

Perhaps vw actually accepted (internally and very quietly ) there was an issue and changed supplier for oem fit gear, thus the 2017 Up! Being alright...

• 3 months later...

Right side disc is warped. I measured it. About 0.2 mm. Not much but too much. 

I ponder if I should go to VW dealer and buy vw up! discs for our Citigo. Still no problems with our TSI up! 

• 3 weeks later...

Are the wheel bearings fully seated in the hubs? I admit that is going to be difficult to check, but that's been found to be the cause of repeated disc warping over on the Audi A2 Owners Club site. Looking at the 7zap drawings, the Citigo has a very similar set up to the A2. I'll double check but it looks as though the Citigo has the same wheel bearings (along with the same Gen2 installation arrangement), brake calipers, discs and pads. The hub uprights are different.

A few thoughts...

As I have seen on other vehicles, a judder, most usually under braking, can also be caused by wheel bearing problems, or even damaged bushings in suspension joints, as well as from warped disks. I once had a Golf GTi that had a incorrectly located strut spring (which is quite hard to do but was fitted by a garage) that caused a clunky judder when braking.

Ruling all that out, and assuming disks are truly the problem, disks can get often get overheated by sticking brake caliper pistons - this sticking is a common problem on recent Navara NP300's, and the result is pads being worn out after a very low mileage (the disks are well ventilated on that vehicle so they don't actually warp, but the pads do get ruined). This is itself doesn't cause a judder, but it could overheat the disks on other cars, which may then warp.

Another problem can be sticking calipers. I haven't looked at the exact design on my calipers, but I assume there will be either a rocking or sliding pin(s), which allow the whole caliper to position itself evenly on the disk under braking. I always used to clean or change the pins whenever I had the brakes apart, and always checked that the surfaces between pads and pistons were clean and dabbed with high-temp copper grease where some brakes had no shims to avoid "brake chatter".

Disk warping is not that common these days, especially on a modest car with a sensible driver, so I am guessing that the disk warping being seen in this thread is a manufacturing defect. Clearly, fitting a third-party disks should rule out a batch-defect issue, but if juddering returns, I would assume the disks are not the root cause!

As mentioned in this thread, disk brakes do need to be cleaned off regularly by either a few decent stops from speed (de-glazing) or even just a long journey occasionally (brakes do get rubbed clean in normal driving).

I doubt the issue is the rear drums - they play only a small role in braking, and I suspect it would feel obvious if a judder was coming from the front or the rear of the vehicle.

Lastly, the heat generated in a brake disk will be directly related to how fast the car is made to lose speed - basically, it's just kinetic energy being converted to heat energy in a given amount of time. Most disks will lose heat at about the same rate in a given car and given conditions, as ventilation, radiation and heat conduction stays pretty much the same. Different pads and disk combinations will offer different co-coefficients of friction at different temperatures and at a given brake piston pressure acting on them. Many of us enthusiasts will have bought 'high-performance' pads when we were young and inexperienced only to find they barely worked unless they got very hot, or without exerting huge pressure on the brake pedal (only did this once, many years ago!). Such kit is only good for track racing, where you want to avoid brake fade from getting overheated, and certainly not needed on a normal car. Nevertheless to brake a car from a certain speed to a lower speed in  a given time, means the heat on the disk is the same for all disks and pads - the problem is with heat build up, and thus warping disks are more about repeated hard braking.

19 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@freemansteve

All you say is true and the discussion has gone on for a long time, it comes back to Skoda source crap discs. Just as basic as that.

Hopefully the e-Citigo will have decent ones that have longevity and then there is also the regenerative braking so one pedal driving.

Is there evidence that recent Citigos still have bad disks, or is it known just to be a past issue? Having just bought a new Citigo, I'm rather hoping the problem is historic - I assume disks may come from various manufacturers over time, and hoping that those in the spares channel might not have the same origin or batch codes as those used in recent production - either way, I'll take note of any braking problems!

I know that on two previous Octavias the brakes were excellent and pads good for 50K miles in over 260K miles of running the cars, so in general Skoda may not necessarily source crap disks - might be a Citigo (and Fabia?) thing....

Are you going to be an early e-Citigo buyer?  I'd like one, but timing was not good for me - not to mention price/range/lifetime!

Edited by freemansteve