I had to order new brake discs

Emil

2 hours ago, Wino said:

From reading these forums it seems that the more recent, the worse...

Hmm  - I wasn't sure if that meant disks bought as spare parts recently, or disks fitted as new in production, in the last couple of years..

There also may be some folk who have bought disks as parts and ended up with fake ones. Disks do seem to be one of the most common fake spare parts, and these days even the packaging is convincing. Even if parts are bought from Skoda dealers, there could well be one or two dealers in the whole of Europe/UK that have ended up "somehow" with non-genuine disks. Just a thought, but it is hard to be certain of provenance....

18 minutes ago, freemansteve said:

or disks fitted as new in production

I meant that, and genuine new spare parts, bought from dealerships. Similar stuff seems to show up on VW forums as well, from recent memory.

Overzealous cost-cutting without thought for long-term effects on reputation, I'd say.

Check out the scary photos in this thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446611-rear-brake-discs-new-kind-of-problem/

Do some searching in the subforums for some of the recent models and I think you'll see I'm not making this up.

Edited by Wino

Well, that photo is truly terrible....  I can only think the car had got well-clogged with salty slush in the winter and parked up for a while with it clamped in with the handbrake on, but even then it is extraordinary... It would be a bit hard to know if that disk was warped as well as rusty :)

It's probably a good thing that my car has no rear disks and is 7 years newer though, so fingers crossed, as I do really like my car, especially for around this part of the world!

Edited by freemansteve

16 minutes ago, freemansteve said:

It's probably a good thing that my car has no rear disks

Agreed, rear discs seem to fare worst.

Lots more examples of pretty young cars (like only 2 or 3 years old) with shocking discs, if you have a search around here (Briskoda as a whole).

Good idea to brake very hard from time to time when safe to do so, just to keep the rust at bay, especially if you're normally a smooth driver.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

We also have a TSI up!. No warped discs so far. Driven about 25000km. Knock on wood. 

This Citigo. First warped discs after 5000km. Since then never bought discs from dealer. EBC discs were even worse than oem was. 😄

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Good idea to brake very hard from time to time when safe to do so, just to keep the rust at bay, especially if you're normally a smooth driver.

I live in Cornwall, which is a place where many roads are only 1.5 cars wide, but which many, many people fail to notice and they just barge on at you, so hard braking from time to time is inevitable.  "Oh, they have failed to use the obvious place to pull into before we all get gridlocked"... Leonard Cohen sang about not liking "drugs that keep you thin", but I had no idea it applied to those people mis-perceiving the thinness of other cars on the road....

Edited by freemansteve
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Emil said:

This Citigo. First warped discs after 5000km. Since then never bought discs from dealer. EBC discs were even worse than oem was. 😄

I hope your Brembos are the solution - so long as you know they are not Chinese fakes!

Let us know when they've done 5K km :)

Edited by freemansteve

1 hour ago, Emil said:

I'm pretty sure these "Brembo"s have newer seen real brembos. But hopefully "Brembo" have chosen these discs carefully. 

Are you saying Brembo buy in 3rd party disks and market them as Brembos ?

I'm not sure it matters so long as the problem goes away!

We've had our Citigo from new, for just coming up five years now. The original front brakes have been entirely reliable and problem-free and they still look as though they've got plenty of life in them, after 34k miles. So I think saying "Skoda source crap discs" is a bit of a sweeping statement. In the specific case of @Emil - because this is their thread - as the discs have been replaced (more than once?) and the problem has returned, that makes me think that the root of the problem may not lie with the discs themselves. Perhaps it's down to a peculiar driving habit and something like pad print-through, but that's usually easy to spot from a close examination of the disc surface and from all that's been said here, that doesn't sound as though it's to blame.

A lot of Brembo's bread-and-butter products, discs included, are made in China nowadays. That's not necessarily a guarantee of a bad product though. Skoda won't actually make "their" discs; from what I've seen on VAG vehicles the OEM is often Pagid, but not always. The size of discs that the Citigo is fitted with are used on so many VAG cars that I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have more than one OEM supplier.

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1

Chinese made discs are fine quite often, that is not an issue, they come at all price points.

Look around cars in Car Supermarkets and you see which are showing cosmetic corrosion and which are red with rust.

Look at old cars sitting in dealerships / traders that might not have moved for weeks or months and will drive off without issues and stop without needing to give the brakes an Italian Tune-up.

South Korean seem to be fine for many manufacturers with Global Manufacturing and sales.

Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 11.34.57.png

Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 11.34.27.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

I can't even remember how many discs I have replaced. This is 3rd or 4th pair for this -15 model. We have had also -14 and -16 models. If memory serves those two had new discs at least once for each. 

Two adult drivers. Me and my woman. 

Emil - that seems excessive, given you are not buying the same disks from the same sources (and same batch) every time.

Unless someone is having laugh selling you bad disks, I'd be looking for alternative reasons for the judder or for something that is causing sufficient heat to actually warp disks, especially if the new "Brembos" don't last for a few years.

I can't even count all the cars I have run in various countries over the last 45 years and I never had a warped disk - other brake issues, sure.... OK, maybe I was lucky for at least 1/2 million miles! I suppose I used to be a boy-racer years ago, given that I had a fair bit of severe brake fade "fun" when hammering through say, the West Highlands (pre heavy traffic and pre-gatso days), but even then, the disks were fine after they were allowed to cool, and the smell had stopped!

Well I have had warped discs in other cars too. So I know what it is. Some may not even notice it. Like my woman didn't.

But Citigo is the only one which have had warped discs after first 5000km.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...