vRS MK2 ENGINE REPLACEMENT: ARE ALL CUSTOMERS GETTING CONSISTENT TREATMENT FROM Skoda UK andDealersips

VW built engines that have been failing and the went into Seats, Skodas, VW's & Audis.

2009-2012,  and then 2012-2014

The Dealers & Customer services just mess them about,

The Owners go to a Solicitor or Trading Standards & are going to have Independent Engineers Reports or do have them.

VW Skoda, Seat & Audi do the right thing and repair the cars, because they are Faulty.

Or people Reject the Cars & Skoda or Dealers take them back,

Some get Compensated.,

Its done over and over, & its a individual fight for each person,

a lack of Consistency but there is one common thing,

the VW Built 1.4 TSI 180-185 PS Twincharger.

There are Customer Services Staff that say it is blown out of proportion.

But there are a fair number of Failures on the 2,800 UK vRS,

So they could Publish the actual Failure Rate & how many engines have been replaced.

Then the facts will be known.

The car Manufacturer Assumes the Position because a Court Judgement against them will really stuff them,

as will Independent Engineers Reports in Public,

& if someone gets a Settlement and has to do a confidentiality agreement you are unlikely to hear what the deal was.

Legal Actions are ongoing at present in some cases.

Everyone can get somewhere,

VW Built Faulty Designed or Manufactured Engines its as simple as that.

They have Built Faulty or Badly Designed DQ200 DSG's as well.

They have had to do World Wide Recalls, or Service Campaigns.

I hope people do take them to court in different Jurisdictions

It seems that when it comes down to it, its not necessary, they know they will lose.

They did win a case in Australia, but thats not helped their reputation.

<if someone gets a Settlement and has to do a confidentiality agreement you are unlikely to hear what the deal was.>

I think this may be happening more than we think, or would like. I'm hearing of cases like this here in Oz, and not just on VAG vehicles.

• Like 1

The thing is it's not a case of ranting at getting nowhere it's me ranting at getting false information every single time I ring. for the last 5 phone calls I have been promised a call back the next day. I was told I would get a decision on the 7th, it's now the 15th. I rung yesterday just to check where the case was at. at 3.30pm I was told 'your case manager is in a meeting she'll get back to you in an hour' do you think I had a phone call back?

If they were communicating back and forth with me I'd have had no problem at all. I was initially happy to cooperate and when asked to undertake an oil consumption test I done it straight away in order to speed the process up as I have a big trip coming up. they received all the information they asked for off of myself pretty swiftly and when I said they would receive it. this hasn't been the case with themselves. if they had said 'we have yet to reach a decision' that's fine. However to promise phone calls day after day and not receive them is just awful customer services and impossible to reach a conclusion.

I'm also more than happy for them to check the ECU and so on but id prefer they checked it sooner rather than later as when i raised this problem I had 68 days until my trip, I now have just over 30 and it seems i've barely got any progress. that's the reason i'm getting rather frusted. If this problem isn't sored then I have to decide whether to take a car which is consuming 3 litres/1000 miles on a 4000 mile trip or lose out on over £1500 worth of a holiday - im sure you can now understand my frustation?

I'm hoping i'll get a call back today but im not gonna get my hopes up.

<snip>

I sympathise with and can 100% understand your frustration; it seems that Skoda's customer care is a complete shambles and their management is not fit for purpose; VAG appear to have tried to extract a quart from a pint bottle and are now reaping the rewards.  In your position I can only suggest three things:

1. As vRSkeith has very sensibly suggested - document absolutely everything and be organised in your record keeping.
  2. Send confirmations of your conversations to Skoda by recorded delivery - this will ensure that they realise that they have to be honest and consistent and will show that you aren't going to go away until you are satisfied.
  3. ALWAYS be polite and as helpful as you reasonably can be - it is a lot easier to sympathise with someone who is persistent but consistently polite and reasonable ;)

My real issue with the continuing campaign against Skoda, VAG, the 1.4TSI engine and the DSG gearbox here is that it is hysterical, repetitive and short on facts. God only knows what the true facts are and neither he nor Skoda are telling.

I have had a look at the VW, Audi and Seat forums and they don't appear to have had quite as many issues as vRS owners are reported to have had - with the same engine and gearbox. It may be that those drivers don't so frequently "tune" their cars further and/or they drive more sedately- who knows?

We know that Skoda are replacing the Mk.II Fabia and they have said that they do not plan to introduce a Mk.III Fabia vRS. According to at least one poster's experience, the Mk.II Fabia vRS is now considered to be a "Dog" with a low resale or buy-in value.

As George has suggested, the only things that are going to shift Skoda's attitude are interest from Journalists or successful civil action; endless hysterical, vague posts without supportable statistics or details will not help.

Incidentally, in my opinion, any car that consistently spews oil at the rate that VAG/Skoda considers reasonable is indeed a Dog. The only vehicle that I have EVER had to put oil into between services was an ancient, very beaten-up SWB Land Rover that I once foolishly bought from a farmer for £150.

As a parting observation, I give you this:

General Motors in the US has allegedly recalled millions of its cars this year due to faulty ignition switches. The faulty ignition switches have been linked (by GM itself) to 13 deaths and 31 crashes. The fault was known to GM for at least a decade prior to the recall. (LINK)

ps - Good Luck!

pps - apologies for any typos - I wrote this in a hurry :(

vhx26,

are you reading the correct Forums on how owners use their Cupras and the issues even with standard ones.

From 2009 on.

http://news.sky.com/story/1168639/vw-recall-2-6m-cars-worldwide-over-faults

There are lots of facts and figures, and those with issues get them if needed,

Sorry but it hardly seems necessary to furnish you with them IMO,

hard to understand what you can contribute to the problem by gathering the information that Twincharger owners have for helping each other.

There are 2,800 vRS registered in the UK. (1,800 are CAVE Engine)

Around 1,400 Polo GTI

1,400 Seat Cupra

500 Audi A1 185 ps.

No idea what your Internet Research is, but there are just as many issues with the 

1.4 TSI 180-185 CAVE engines. 

Started after 2009 with the Cupras, 2010 Skoda/VW.  2011 Audi.

Then Revised CTHE engine released late 2012.

The Known issues are Known, & known by the VWG.

Only the VWG do not talk about them.

I have documented everything but not sent them copies, should i send them a copy of what I have to date?

I do try my best to stay calm with these people but i've been told 'we'll ring you tomorrow' for the last 8 days and its getting a little annoying now.

Thanks guys! will keep you updated.

The only possible relevance of this is that "To continue to ensure customer satisfaction ... Volkswagen has decided to launch [a] global voluntary campaign. And to request all customers with a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox (DQ200) filled with synthetic oil to visit a workshop for an oil exchange."

There is no mention of the oil consumption issue. I know that you will suggest that I should embark on an almost certainly fruitless Google search for a huge number of disgruntled VW, Audi & Seat users but since I don't believe that they are there, I can't be bothered - if you KNOW different, please feel free to disabuse me.

Suffice to say that over the past few months you have done more than enough to convince me to wait for Skoda's 21st Century Mk.III Fabia Estate, hopefully with a 138bhp 1.4 TSI engine as used in the Octavia ;)

Edited by vxh26

No there is no mention of Oil Issues, there never has been from VW.

They assume the '3 Monkeys'  on those failures.

But that post is in reference to your Recall stuff.

The Safety Critical Recalls, or non Safety Critical Service Campaigns get done when forced upon them.

It is attributed to 1 fatality.

The new Engines are in some  VW Group cars already, 

Euro 6 emission engines,  includes the ones with ACT/COD etc, 

Be sure to check that it is the most recent version of the engines, 

because some of the new Models have the previous engine still.

I just had this discussion on the phone with my case manager about the whole 'death due to the fault' issue.

I brought up how they sold them knowing there was an issue and how people buying second hand are really getting bitten on the backside here. I had to kindly ask her if I go outside now and due to this fault I incurred an injury would they then sort my case.

basically what I've been told is the car is just out of warranty too bad. I've escalated the case and i'm now going down the route of getting an independant experts opinion. I even pointed out to the lady on the phone that i'd have some sort of satisfcation if they would maybe give out some information to allow me to pinpoint the reason this oil issue happens and take a look myself but basically what i've been told is "its not their problem". However, it is their problem as a 3 year old car which has done under 20k miles is burning 3litres of oil to a thousand miles and i'm almost definite that consumer rights would surely stand on my side of the line here?

What do you guys think I should do now?

Edited by daz1412

Go to Trading Standards first, 

You might well need an Independent Motor Engineering Experts Report.

VW Changed the Engines from the CAVE to the CTHE because of the known faults and failures,

both are Euro 5 Emissions, the CAVE introduced 2009,

the CTHE with revised Internal Parts & Engine Management 2012.

The Replacement CAVE engines supplied have Parts used in the CTHE, because the CAVE Parts can have faults,

poor Manufacturing or tolerances.

So Design & Manufacturing and Quality Control issues 2009-2012

VW/Skoda knew, and still made people have Oil Consumption Tests, Breather Mods and ECU Updates,

but did not implement a 'Service Campaign'.

Tell that to the Trading Standards if you raise a case, & maybe to a Solicitor if seeking Legal Advice.

**Trading Standards or a Solicitor should be asking Skoda UK how many failures and engine replacements

or Warranty Actions have been required in the 1,800 Mk2 vRS Registered in the UK

from June 2010-2012, and how many up to the present time when many are out if the Original 3 year Warranty.**

all the best.

george

daz,

I keep asking my about your case, why are you having such a difficult time with any goodwill from your dealer and especially Skoda UK CUSTOMER SERVICE.

To my knowledge in the last three months at least 6 owners contributing to threads on here, have had engine replacement , with circumstances similar to yours and in some case ,my partners included with a lower rates of consumption than yours.

So why is yours DIFFERENT??????

Do you have copies of the test results from your garage and have you got an on going record of your oil purchases against the actual consumption rate that you are finding?

How long out of warranty is the car?

I'm sure that there are members on here, that are quite happy to let you have their Case No history, which Skoda will have on record and for you to pose the question to Mr Alasdair Stewart ,why am I being treated differently.

Did you first report to your dealer of Skoda UK about the concern you had on high consumption when the car was still inside warranty?  If so was it documented of just word of mouth, phone or face to face with the Skoda garage.

As I've mentioned before my partners car was 2 months inside warranty and at the point of the garage ordering the new engine it was consuming by her records no the garage , prior to her test results, 500 -750 miles per litre.

MY partners Skoda Dealer, ordered the new engine directly and was installed in the next month. They tell me that they have the authority to do that.

So again why couldn't yours.

Is the main issue therefore that the car is outside warranty , in time but obviously not in miles????

• Like 1

When I raised the case it was 4months out of warranty having bought it second hand. the car has done 20,000 miles or so.

I do have copies of the results but I dont have them to hand now as im away on a business trip.

The ONLY thing I can think of going against me here is that the orignal owner had it serviced independently. However, I dont see how this is any reason to say that there's nothing they can do!

I think that given the mileage its done there is absolutely no way they can justify the oil consumption! it is absolutely through the roof!

Another thing I haven't considered is that the car has a personalised number plate. maybe prior to the plate change there is some sort of history with skoda! I will have to check that!

Edited by daz1412

How long was that after you purchased the car?

Have Skoda got any record of your car having had notification from the previous owner and hence an earlier record on file.

Would be interesting if the previous owner was contactable.

However , I agree with you that 4 months out of warranty and only 20000 miles  is no excuse. Hence Skoda are being very unreasonable and have not even gestured a contribution to the replacement engine. i.e 70 /30 or whatever.

Nothing, is not acceptable.

To my knowledge there is at least One  owner on this site ,currently taking legal action ,under not to dissimilar circumstances.

But can't say anymore than that. 

Did it have a FULL service history with a SKODA DEALERSHIP PRIOR TO YOUR PURCHASE.

Presumably THE SELLER OF THE CAR TO YOU didn't give you any warranty either of their own

I contacted them about 4 months after purchase as I realised it was getting a lot worst!

I highly doubt I could get the previous owners details sadly but now you've mentioned it I will try!

As stated above it has a full service history but sadly not with skoda. this is why I think I might be having problems with them. However as I said the oil consumption results are through the roof under ANY circumstances.

It would seem legal action would be the way forward from here on in.

Any more advice guys?

F....... me,

You have a some strength from Genuine contributors, on here that have experienced this unacceptable performance from the PRIZE WINNING Engine / transmission combination.

Take some free initial legal advice but by all means I'm sure that many on here will give you details of their Cases and experiences (and Who are not compromised by legal circumstances) with Skoda UK and it's dealerships. 

I wonder what Skoda's definition of a GOODWILL CLAIM is?

If anyone would contact me with their case details that would be great! I will obviously inform you before I decide to actually use the details to compare against my own!

i dont think skoda have any idea what good will is! when I go out and pay £10k for a car and I experience problems to which they will not offer any help what so ever then I question the company as whole.

The one question I will ask them is 'how would you feel if you were in my shoes'

yes, spot on but however I do give a **** and im not wiling to just go and sell the car for someone else to deal with the problem. before I done that Id change the plates back to the orignals and then part ex it at skoda so they can deal with the problem.

• Like 1

If anyone would contact me with their case details that would be great! I will obviously inform you before I decide to actually use the details to compare against my own!

i dont think skoda have any idea what good will is! when I go out and pay £10k for a car and I experience problems to which they will not offer any help what so ever then I question the company as whole.

The one question I will ask them is 'how would you feel if you were in my shoes'

Hope you get responses from other with Case No's and not just me.

I will PM you later with the Case No.etc. There is probably enough of the detail on site but will break it down for you when requested.

Cheers.

Good luck in you quest to get reasonable goodwill and cooperation.