General Advice Please

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering a move to a superb estate.

Bit of a change from a modified stage 3 vrs Octavia Hatch but after looking around for a new car for my Dad ive been seriously impressed with the Superb.

I think it will be the 170 4x4 DSG Estate in nothing less than Elegance trim with as many option as possible.

Can I ask from real world experiences what the benefits of 4x4 over FWD are?

Also coming from always having a manual and mainly because I don't like the hesitation in powering out of corners with an auto box. Has anyone been concerned about moving to a DSG and how did it pan out for you?

If anyone has any other general advice about the main problems with Superbs please add that too. I'm starting my detailed research and so far there doesn't seem to be any major issues but I must be missing something?

I had a 4x4 Octavia and they are just so well planted. They behave exactly as you want them to and are very predictable and stable, especially in the rain. I wouldn't want a non-4wd again.

If you're concerned about controlling an auto, spec the paddles. I have paddles on mine (my first automatic, but its not a DSG though) and they're excellent and I don't miss my manual at all.

I can only comment on the DSG part but I love my 170 FWD with DSG. I thought I'd miss manual on country roads but actually the DSG is very responsive and you quickly learn how to understand how it behaves. Occasionally I'll use it in manual mode. Coming down a long winding hill can be annoying because the box wants to change down when you're braking but the car needs to be in 4 rather than 3 as the hill carries you along, manual is good for that. I've had DSG in a couple of hire cars which I drive like I used to drive company cars in my 20s and I can confirm that, as soon as you understand the timings, they can be much faster and as responsive as a manual. I'll manual mode on the DSG when I'm belting it in a hire car over Snake Pass..

I don't think I'd ever go back to manual if I can help it. Round town and motorway jams the DSG is fantastic and its just a different sort of fantastic on country roads.

• Like 1

I'll agree with robski90 on that, my Superb is the first automatic car that I've owned and I love it. It will take a bit of getting used to initially but once you're passed that it's a great gearbox.

The only slight downside is the tendancy to change into as higher gear as possible, which is fine most of the time but if entering a corner, or as previously mentioned when going downhill, you may need to override with the manual selector or paddles and choose one gear lower to give you a little more control. It does become second nature though.

I do also get a little smile when accelerating hard and I see the rev needle drop instantly when the next gear takes over, instead of the gradual fall away you get on a manual or normal auto car! Small things I know!!

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sure I don't want to compromise on 4x4 but I'm still undecided on manual v DSG

The main reason for the DSG box is traffic jams and congestion type driving (mainly in London) coming from an uprated heavy duty clutch its a no brainer :rofl:

4x4 is great, no more wheel hop, just point and go.  The ASR doesn't need to intervene as you have enough grip.  There is a weight and fuel economy penalty for 4x4 though.

If you get DSG, get the paddles too.  I use mine all the time.

Personally, I still prefer an auto box over a DSG, however, with each generation they get better. The manual box in the Superb is very good too, has a good action, clutch is not heavy with a good bite point and ratios are well spaced.

The haldex unit in the Superb is excellent, with very quick reactions and makes for a very good on road option all year round.

If buying new you can now get 170 4x4 with the DSG, if buying used you will mostly only find 140's as 170 DSG's were only offered at the facelift last Summer.

Cheers

Steve

Can I ask from real world experiences what the benefits of 4x4 over FWD are?

Also coming from always having a manual and mainly because I don't like the hesitation in powering out of corners with an auto box. Has anyone been concerned about moving to a DSG and how did it pan out for you?

It is first AWD car for me - I was driving mainly FWD cars for 20 years (and RWD Lada back in 1995 :)). The main difference is of course during winter. On slippery surface AWD takes off almost the same as from dry road. Then even on dry roads you can take of by putting pedal to the floor and no wheel spin whatsoever. Also there is different sensation of acceleration - FWD car pulls you and AWD car pushes you :)

AWD car is heavier and you will feel it on back axis. 

And DSG you have to test properly and then make the decision. I was driving manuals all my life and it took almost two months before I started not to hate DSG and started to like it a bit - and also to understand how it works and how to use it. But even with shift paddles it is not the same as manual. But as days goes by I am starting to like some sides of DSG. It is well paired with 170 HP diesel - it jumps to 60 km/h so well - even faster than more powerful cars. Also it shifts quickly. Shift paddles are a bit slow, I would say. But well, it is not Aston Martin :)

Personally, I still prefer an auto box over a DSG, however, with each generation they get better. The manual box in the Superb is very good too, has a good action, clutch is not heavy with a good bite point and ratios are well spaced.

The haldex unit in the Superb is excellent, with very quick reactions and makes for a very good on road option all year round.

If buying new you can now get 170 4x4 with the DSG, if buying used you will mostly only find 140's as 170 DSG's were only offered at the facelift last Summer.

Cheers

Steve

I didn't know you could get just an Auto box. I thought they were all DSG?

I also didn't know the early 4x4 were 140bhp. I defo want 170 DSG but I don't have the budget for new. Im thinking around the £15k budget maybe a little more for the right car.

It makes financial sense to just keep my car but I fancy a change. I've had my current Octy for a few years now (which for me is a long time).

Mark, if you ever want to have a go in mine, just drop me a text or PM

And for the record, this is my first auto box and I am pretty sure (assuming it doesnt blow up) I doubt I will ever go back to a manual

The daily crawl along Tinsley Viaduct is effortless now

I was in the same dilemma as you, should I shouldnt I...

So glad I did :)

Hope you and the family are well..

Regards

Damo

Hi Damo,

We are all great thanks. Hope you guys are too?

I thought you had a citigo?? Sorry I haven't been on Brisky much over the last few months so im out of touch.

Do you have a 4x4?

Defo up for a chat and a cuppa anytime.

Looks like I better do a new for sale add for my Octy and see if anyone's interested?

BTW Does this mean I'm officially getting old now :giggle: "A DSG Superb Estate" Who would have thought it?

I didn't know you could get just an Auto box. I thought they were all DSG?

I also didn't know the early 4x4 were 140bhp. I defo want 170 DSG but I don't have the budget for new. Im thinking around the £15k budget maybe a little more for the right car.

It makes financial sense to just keep my car but I fancy a change. I've had my current Octy for a few years now (which for me is a long time).

The only option on Superb is DSG or manual, I was just talking in general terms.

Yes, if you want 170 4x4 in that price range it will be manual only, as DSG 170"s only started to ship last Summer.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Damo,

We are all great thanks. Hope you guys are too?

Yep, we are all good cheers :)

I thought you had a citigo?? Sorry I haven't been on Brisky much over the last few months so im out of touch.

I traded it in about a month ago fella, after 9 months of happy ownership in the quest for something a smidge bigger  :giggle:

Do you have a 4x4?

No mate, not the 4x4 just the 2WD

Its each to their own, but I didn't want that model myself

My project thread is here > http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/310476-damos-superb-project-ginormica-aka-susan/

BTW Does this mean I'm officially getting old now :giggle: "A DSG Superb Estate" Who would have thought it?

Exactly the same as me mate. I never would have thought it for me either.

However, Ive had loads of fast cars/lowered cars/3 door etc... been there, done that. I fancied a bit of comfort and luxury for a change

Plus, turning 40 in a few weeks, so treated myself   :rock:

Loving it, the DSG is fantastic, performance is good (will be better post Shark) Economy is great, Elegance are very well specced anyway, but got park assist, heated front screen and dimming rear mirror as well.

Loads of space at front, rear passengers feel like they're in a Limo

Best car Ive ever had (out of all the 54 Ive owned :D)

Like I said, shout up if you ever want a look/drive/chat etc

Take it steady fella

Regards

Damo

Couple of months ago I traded my Octi II VRS in for a Superb Estate 170 CR Elegance - love it to bits and will be definitely chipping it in August when my current insurance vendor expires.

Only thing I would say is that I really struggled with the suspension being so different *when compared to the VRS*, it is much more floppy and roll is a problem. I suspect I noticed it more than most as had driven Fabia/Octavia VRS for over 10 years with the last Octy VRS since 2009. However I notice you are going 4x4 so maybe it has lower suspension and/or a different setup?

That's my only complaint, along with many reports of the car bottoming out if you lower the suspension :(

Basically - I was corrupted by the luxury of the Superb compared to my OctyVRS... I suspect this is where you are as well. If you love the speed handling of the VRS then I would stay put. If you want the luxury and toys and don't mind the roll - then go for it.

just my 2pence :)

Yeterday we test drove a A4 Avant Black Edition Quattro 2.0 tdi - It was a very very nice car but My Dad has decided to drop the budget and therefore we are back to either a Superb or Octavia.

We (my Dad and I) took a 170 dsg elegance FWD for a test drive yesterday and I have to say I wasn't as impressed. There was a hesitation when accelerating like an old auto box. In fact very similar to my Dad's 2006 A6 Allroad with the old style auto box. Not very smooth and it's now got me questioning.

Is this normal?

Is it the same in an Octavia?

I've seen an L&K Superb Estate 170 DSG FWD and if we can get the price down a bit I think my Dad will go for that.

I still cant decide what I'm going to do but might test the water and see if there's any interest in mine. That will be the deciding factor.

S-Tronic and it was brand new but im not comparing them like for like I do know they are a different car in a lot of ways.

We were both disappointed with the Superb DSG box. We are planning on another test drive to compare.

Yeterday we test drove a A4 Avant Black Edition Quattro 2.0 tdi - It was a very very nice car but My Dad has decided to drop the budget and therefore we are back to either a Superb or Octavia.

Are you buying outright or PCP? If PCP, don't go by sticker/list price as guaranteed future value makes a big difference when buying brands like Audi/Merc compared to Skoda and discounts on PCP with Audi on A4 & A6 are ~20% or higher on sites like drivethedeal and carwow.

With these taken into account, and buying by PCP it brings in a lot more options into play.

Thanks

Steve

Well it's all still relative, but obviously has lots of variables like how long you are going to keep car etc, but whether it saves you £4K at purchase, or puts £4k in your pocket at part ex in 4 years times it's still £4K.

Only point was not to just go by purchase price when looking at options. ;) ;)

I'd like to think were both on the ball when it comes to looking at the deals that can be done and comparing every element of the deal.

Something that shocked me a little yesterday was how complacent Skoda dealers have become and their aversion to negotiating a deal. We were basically told yesterday that no deals would be done and the price is take it or leave it. And if ordering an Octavia its a minimum 6 month waiting list and no discounts.

Compared to Audi it was a different experience all together. Which I expect to a point but it was literally chalk and cheese. Audi couldn't do enough to get the business and pretty much matched the DTD price off the bat. There was only a few hundred pounds in it. Anyway that budget is now not a consideration so for value for money we looking at a Superb or Octavia DSG Estate. There's not a massive choice of those either as a used car.

Something that shocked me a little yesterday was how complacent Skoda dealers have become and their aversion to negotiating a deal. We were basically told yesterday that no deals would be done and the price is take it or leave it. And if ordering an Octavia its a minimum 6 month waiting list and no discounts.

They're selling more cars than they can make, so they don't need to provide discounts. If they sell too many and can't deliver, they'll just get more complaining customers.

They're selling more cars than they can make, so they don't need to provide discounts. If they sell too many and can't deliver, they'll just get more complaining customers.

I can see that happening with the new Octavia but a Superb????

Also they are exactly the same with used stock. Maybe it's just some dealers?