My New Spaceback

I had the use of a Fabia TSI for a couple of weeks a while back, and whilst it has it's good points I do think the Rapid is overall a better, more modern car inside and out. So good choice :)

Those wheels VRSBilly linked to are a good price considering they come with tyres, they look to be in good condition too.

Hi All

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Young Lady??

I think SWMBO will be very pleased to be called 'young'. I'll tell her! We'd just driven it home, and she was just posing for the photo, and saying something like, "Do you like your new toy?" Unfortunately, she didn't want to be seen in the photo, so I had to crop it.

We've been out for a 90 mile round trip today, with mixed motorway and A-Road driving, and it's getting better already. Although I'm driving it carefully for the next few hundred miles, and trying not to over-stress the engine, it feels very lively. It's a gem!

I really like the dash and driving position. Some may say the interior is boring, but as one who has driven VWs, and owns a VW T5 camper, I find all the controls are familiar, predictable, and work well. Some of the plastics are hard, and there are signs of cost-cutting here and there, but it's all very well screwed together. And the car cost a lot less than the equivalent VWs or Audis.

A very happy bunny tonight.

Les

Hi, I picked up my new Spaceback Elegance 1.2 tsi 105 yesterday, Love it !  still working out sat nav, dab radio and telephone controls though, collected the car from Faintree Telford and I must say what a great bunch of guys and girls they are. Due to a glich in the order it came with 16 inch wheels instead of 17s and I had ordered a set of 17 inch ray wheels to use for summer,  keeping the originals for winter tyres when the mistake was spotted Penny called to explain saying they would sort something out for me,the next day I was contacted by Paul Wedgbury himself and given an apology  and explanation of what the would do to rectify the situation,and Boy did I get a shock !. Not only did he promise fit me a set of tyres to the Ray wheels he then said he would also supply and fit winter tyres to the 16 inch wheels at no cost to me !!  Top Man, Top Dealership' I am over the moon with the car and the service both me and my son [who has a Rapid Sport] have enjoyed , and to top it all off on collecting the car the Wife was given a large bunch of flowers and I was given a nice bottle of wine,, Happy Days.  So Many Thanks to Paul ,Penny, Colin, Joe and everyone else at Faintree for a great outcome to what could have ended very differently at some other garages I have dealt with.

• Like 4

must say I have to agree withVRSbilly and his comment about the Rapid being a nicer car than the Fabia Estate, I swoped my 12 month old Fabia elegance estate for my Spaceback and despite only picking up the car Saturday Im allready well chuffed with it and cant believe how quite it is compared to the Fabia and how strong the motor feels even at running in pace Loving it !

Oh and im also keeping an eye on those Camelot wheels cause the seller lives 5 minutes away from me but we cant get him to reply to our emails, despite wanting to make a good cash offer !

Guys, I'm thinking of changing the wife's company Golf and my Fabia in to one "family" car.

Does anyone have any idea if the Rapid's legroom is comparable to the Golf?  I see the boot is slightly larger (so the dog will be happy).

I'm looking at the weekend, but just thought I'd ask first.

If it isn't, it might have to be an Octavia.

Regarding legroom in the Rapid [which my son owns] unless you are carrying a giraffe there is oodles of room front and rear, the same goes for the Rapid Spaceback  [which I own] but the boot on the saloon is quite a lot bigger so the dog may prefer that version depending how big he is. Dont think you would be disapointed with either version as they are both great cars Good luck , maybe the dog should  go on the test drive; he would be Barking Mad not to !!

I would think the dog would prefer the Spaceback, more head room in the boot!

You can also get the double sided boot floor and use the rubberised side when the dog is in the boot.

Hi All

Just to confirm the above links, I had a Golf Mk 6 until recently. I am pretty certain that the Spaceback has more headroom front and rear, although I'm not sure about legroom. It does feel bigger inside. The boot is definitely bigger (seats up or down), and the Spaceback has a slightly longer wheelbase than the Golf.

HTH

Les

Thanks for all your responses. I've spoken to my friendly local Skoda dealer and aim to visit tomorrow - they have a Spaceback as a demonstrator and some Octavia estates.

I'll chat the deal, but as Mrs PDI prefers the spaceback...

My decisions will be based on available models (petrol, diesel, spec levels), new/used (depends on price and px deal) etc.

I'll let you guys know, as I may be moving forums!

PDBIK; be careful with the price on the used ones if you are using finance.. because new ones are on 0% and used ones are not, in some cases buying a used one could actually work out more expensive than new!

Yeah - 0% makes a difference if the screen price is a few thousand different.  I'd rather have a new car for a bit more, on 0% than the used car on 8.9%.

The clincher may be what they can do for the Monte vs whatever they have to offer.  I don't knw, but I wonder if they can do better deals against one versus the other, if it makes a difference to their margins.

RapidRonnie

No problem - please carry on - at least no-one is knocking the Rapid or the Spaceback on this thread! But if PDIBK starts a thread in the event of a new order, that'll be good. I wonder how long it will take to build it?

On the subject of buying new versus used, I bought new. I was handing-in my company car, and I had no part-exchange to worry about. So I was able to shop around. Buying new was a no-brainer, given the new car prices being advertised by some of the Internet brokers, and the prices being advertised by Skoda dealers for 'nearly new' or secondhand cars.

Les

• Like 1