Test drive - Fiesta ST (vs. Fabia vRS)

1,440,  minus, me, 2 gallon can, and a Trolley Jack/tools, 130 kg

= 1,310 kg with Tank Vented so 11 Gallons in max proper Kerb Weight.

(that is 2 full size spare wheels and no weights, but that means no weight difference.)

EDIT,

Correction it is actually 1,294 KG. not the 1,310 kg

Re the Autocar road test,it states the ST has 197hp in overboost for 15 seconds...(and can you ever have your foot to the floor for longer than this on the road anyway?)

In the light of this is the Mountune  add on really worth while?...it would be if that too had overboost beyond the official figure.

• Like 1

1,440,  minus, me, 2 gallon can, and a Trolley Jack/tools, 130 kg

= 1,310 kg with Tank Vented so 11 Gallons in max proper Kerb Weight.

(that is 2 full size spare wheels and no weights, but that means no weight difference.)

EDIT,

Correction it is actually 1,294 KG. not the 1,310 kg

Fiesta ST-3 with a full tank and the optional space saver spare wheel is:

1,200kg exactly.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313433-richards-fish-faced-ford-fiesta-st-3/?p=3755257

So ball park figures, it's around 100kg lighter.

I fair amount of which I'd suspect is the DSG box located at the front on the mk2 vRS, plus a pair of rear doors.

• Like 1

I think they will struggle to find a 75kg driver in the US :angel:

I love the Focus ST but the Fiestas looks leave me a little cold , its even uglier than the Fabia and the interior looks a little busy

Cheers thanks for that.

Any idea what Unladen weight they give for the 5 doors ST's in the US.?

(i will google it later and see if i can find it.)

Note how they advertise it in the US as 197hp,which is the overboost setting only,apparently not allowed to advertise like that in the UK.

I dont see having foot to the floor for more than 15 seconds being a problem ;) haha.

Not with a fabia se,foot to the floor all the time I would imagine!

Its not too bad, but 15 seconds would be easy haha

No problem on a bike mate, done that a few times for 15 seconds, so i cant see it bein a problem in an st :). Admittedly though, they arent legal speed limits on the road lol.

But yeah. I think the overboost is a good idea tbh. Its only when your really going for it that itll be over 15 seconds isnt it.

Doesnt the mountune have an overboost feature then?

Edited by Otaylor38

Pretty much

No problem on a bike mate, for 15 seconds, so i cant see it bein a problem in an st :).

Well a bike is different,and on unrestricted roads in Germany would be different,but in the UK in a car with any decent power 15 seconds is going to see you well in excess of 100 from normal lower speeds on a motorway and on A and B roads you are going to meet a corner or a hazard going far too fast....so you see my point?

Obviously when an ST's top speed is measured this will be without the overboost since more than 15 secs would be needed, but in the real world I think 15 seconds is enough....which is the point Autocar were making when they said it felt as fast as the Clio RS.

Im not saying its not enough, but when your going for it, you could do it for 15 seconds.

Bikes are quicker, and iv done it in a safe manor. Wouldnt be legal on a uk road, no. But it wouldnt be particularly dangerous either, if you choose your place wisely.

I do see your point. Yes, but i dont think its not do'able in a safe manor, at all.

Did 260 miles yesterday, in the missus' Fabia vRS mk3 . CAVE engine , soon to be changed.

60 % A and B and 40% M4 brisk motoring day.

Purpose: Just done a deal on an 9 month old CTHE engine one, with lots of bells and whistles.  

Real fun drive still, and in total comfort for 3 adults and a load of stuff in the boot.

Think I will miss this little buzz box when they stop making it.

Did a test drive with her in a Fiesta ST a couple of weeks ago,GOOD DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Unfortunately, for us just not the same combination of driving thrills , practicality and overall VFM.

Nice try Ford but not for us!

Hence she plumped for the Fabia again, even if there might be a small risk of oil burner! She has got 4 years warranty so hope we are covered.

Come on Skoda,shift your ass and keep the faith in this much loved sector of small hot hatches.

So that's a BIG TICK for a vRS mk3! before Ford and Mini take the market.

• Like 2

Cheers thanks for that.

Any idea what Unladen weight they give for the 5 doors ST's in the US.?

(i will google it later and see if i can find it.)

The difference between 3 door and 5 door Fiesta's in the uk is 5kg.

Even on the bigger f20/f21 1 Series the difference quoted for 3 and 5 doors is 5kg.

Cheers

Lee

Ford & Leasing sites i see for the uk are showing a 10 kg difference,  

eg

3 door 1,091 kg

same spec 5 door 1,101 kg

VW & Audi with the likes of Polo or A1 have them as 15 kg heavier for a 5 door over a 3 door.

EDIT,

the VAG 2013  Brouchures POLO, A1 actually say,

'The unladen weight of 5 door models will increase by 25kg

And Skoda list the fabia vrs estate as 25kg lighter than the hatch.

Buy an estate and test it against the st :)

Skoda need to give the new fabia a better chassis - ford are miles ahead.

Actually it did show in the brochures and websites from 2010-2012/13 list it as 5 kg lighter,

Now it is 70 kg heavier.  1,315 kg for a vRS Estate, which makes sense since it is bigger,

Remove the 25 kg weights from the hatch and it would be 95 kg lighter.

They had to actually publish the correct weights because they were blatantly wrong,

Look at the 9 3/4 inch more car with the estate,

extra metal, plastic and glass, it could hardly actually be lighter.

Better balanced suspension though with its rear springs and dampers.

and they had to do the same with the Ibiza Cupra & the Polo, because they had permitted Towing Weights published 

and the Kerb & Gross weights given by the Manufacturers were just plain false. (mistake, or caught out)

4 years back there were Comments like in this article,

LP Brighton has it correct.

Motoring Journalists seem to take Manufacturers Figures in the main and keep repeating them.

Only the very few actually weigh cars.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/fabia/first-drives/skoda-fabia-vrs-1.4-tsi

Minefield of knowledge. Cheers!

All the hatches have weights though dont they? Have you personally removed any? Is it easy to do?

I have read a bit about it but id be interested in doing it tbh. I imagine its like taking a bag of sand out of the boot

My boss took mine for a spin today. He's got quite an impressive car history. He described it as 'feeling' almost if not just as quick as a Golf GTi but obviously in a much cheaper package and "not as nice a place to spend time" as the Golf. Obviously the figures speak for themselves officially but it certainly seems the Fabia vRS figures are easily exceeded in the real world.

Edited by austenw90

Otaylor38,

Very easy to do, remove the rear bumper, remove 25 KG of nicely manufactured and designed weights,

non rusting fastners,  

I always wonder how much expense Skoda want to, 25 KG of material is expensive,

rather than just fitting better springs and dampers.

pics borrowed from vrs-powered's thread

• Like 1