Where is the evidence that Skoda are pricing themselves out of the market?

Exactly this.

Plenty of us can remember a VRS Octavia being a smidge over 13k but that was quite a while back and they were in a very different place in the market.

At the moment they are selling cars as fast as they can build them so it's perfectly understandable that they think they can put the price up a bit. The simple answer is that if you think it's overpriced, buy something else, but there aren't many comparable cars for less.

• Like 1

Agree that skoda are starting to price themselves out the market. The mk2 vrs was great value for money and massively undercut anything else on the market offering fantastic space, spec and perfomance. The fact that cruise control isnt standard seems a bit tight. Factor in that the standard wheels look rubbish so you need to upgrade those as well.

For a company pricing themselves out of the market I bet they love the fact they have up to a 7 month waiting list!

• Like 1

I placed my order pre Xmas, at 0% with free servicing, minimal deposit and a reasonable spec and I'll be paying £275 a month. When I pick it up in June I might wear a mask....

I remember the early mk3 vRS threads being littered with "I won't buy one until the vat free promotion" type posts. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

It's about half the size of the Octavia inside! Seriously, the boot in the Octavia is so much bigger than anything else in the same price bracket.

that's why I bought my mk2 as the space is excellent. New leon estate is 587litres so almost the same as an Octavia estate. If you compare the hatch then the octavia is miles bigger. Inside the octavia is still bigger but given there is only about 15mm of a difference in wheelbase to most people it is probably still spacious enough. Boot space is probably the most important factor to me.

You what now? I've gone for a vRS estate with most options ticked, and it still comes out at under £29k. So either you're doing something wrong, or your definition of "a few options" is actually "ticked every box".

In any case, I challenge you to find a car that has a similar (or better) engine, has at least the same load space, has the same equipment, and doesn't cost > £40k.

That's only relevant if you need the space! Not every needs it buys a car for space. Some do some don't

• Like 1

Where is the evidence that Skoda are pricing themselves out of the market?

Audi A4 Avant TDI 177 Teknik's can be had brand new for under £23K (or under £24K for Avant/Estate) from Drivethedeal.com. Granted A4's are smaller inside and the model is older, but you get full leather and a Colombus equivelent entertainement system for the price. Interior quality of the Audi is far better than my VRS, especially lower dash, carpets, doorbins, boot floor. Doors and switches also feel more solid, and Audi definately has the better image for most people outside of Skoda ownership circles.

Even with ~£2K discount offered by Drivethedeal for Octy VRS's, they are very close to VAG's premium Audi brand in pricing. Skoda are no longer a cheap alternative to Ford/Nissan etc, rather a slightly cheaper (but too close for comfort IMO) alternative for VW's or Audi's.

I really do like my VRS TSI, but Octavia's are no longer the good value sensible car they once were.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 3

Audi A4 Avant TDI 177 Teknik's can be had brand new for under £23K (or under £24K for Avant/Estate) from Drivethedeal.com. Granted A4's are smaller inside and the model is older, but you get full leather and a Colombus equivelent entertainement system for the price. Interior quality of the Audi is far better than my VRS, especially lower dash, carpets, doorbins, boot floor. Doors and switches also feel more solid, and Audi definately has the better image for most people outside of Skoda ownership circles.

Even with ~£2K discount offered by Drivethedeal for Octy VRS's, they are very close to VAG's premium Audi brand in pricing. Skoda are no longer a cheap alternative to Ford/Nissan etc, rather a slightly cheaper (but too close for comfort IMO) alternative for VW's or Audi's.

I really do like my VRS TSI, but Octavia's are no longer the good value sensible car they once were.

Bugger! Anyone want to buy my VRS?

Me and a friend of mine have both said we won't be in Skoda next time and we've had six between us. I'm still not sold on the new Octy vRS and for the money is hard to justify. They aren't as good value anymore and for me are starting to look too simlar.  

Bugger! Anyone want to buy my VRS?

Price?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Going back to Falkster's original post - is the (cheaper) petrol vRS still on your list? It's not as economical as the diesel, for sure, but the 40 mpg on a long run that I get with mine (mark 3 estate) is pretty respectable. Some non-VAG diesels struggle to do as well as that.

If you do need the diesel, you won't find the 150 bhp Elegance much slower in normal driving than the 184 bhp vRS. And some equipment is standard on the Elegance which costs extra on the vRS.

It will be a company car ZF so the BIK is a consideration. I agree that the performance of the 150 is comparable so not much lost against a vRS in that department.

My employer (for whatever reason) pay cash and the budget is based on List not discounted price.

For those buying on finance perhaps the increase is not such an issue...I just know that I got into a vRS diesel estate with a few options in November 2011 and now (even with a car budget increase) can't get a base hatch!

I agree with the consensus on here though that to find an all round Ford/Vauxhall/Mazda etc etc alternative to the vRS is very difficult depending on what your requirements are (space, performance, sporty look).

• Like 1

The next increase will come shortly for diesel models with the introduction of EU 6 legislation when more stringent nitrogen oxide emission rules kick in. Industry experts expect this will add between £500 - £1,000 to the price of all diesel engined cars.

On the subject of Skoda pricing and discounts, I've just negotiated just over 18% discount and 5 years free servicing on a new BMW 3 series Touring - direct with a main dealer. And no, it's not to replace my Octavia - it's replacing our sports car and my wife's car.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

On the subject of Skoda pricing and discounts, I've just negotiated just over 18% discount and 5 years free servicing on a new BMW 3 series Touring - direct with a main dealer. And no, it's not to replace my Octavia - it's replacing our sports car and my wife's car.

335d xdrive Tim?

335d xdrive Tim?

Yes, correct pipsyp! 335d M Sport X-Drive. I've detailed here in the past various failed attempts to replace a 911 with a hot hatch or anything else with overly sporty pretensions so it had to be something completely different in character yet something that we would both enjoy. Can't get much different than a diesel estate - albeit one that'll do 0-62mph in 4.8 seconds courtesy of 313bhp and 630 Nm (467 lb/ft) torque.

My wife is due to retire in the next couple of years so our heads have to start ruling our hearts, for once. We were actually looking to buy low mileage used, but having trawled the BMW used car website for a fair time and being unable to find one with our ideal specification, our local dealer, ( originally the arrogant and indifferent Scotthall - but now in new and what appears to be much more customer focused hands (Partridge BMW) - came up with a deal that the difference between new and used was much less than we had ever thought. Even though we've gone for a fairly high spec car the savings will repay the cost to change within 18 months. Would have been 12 months until we added some nice to haves to the spec!!

Edited by Timoctav

The good thing about rising Octy prices is that residuals for existing owners will remain firmer. Price cuts and huge incentives are great for new buyers but they devalue residuals. Skoda needs to keep residuals up otherwise lots of PCP'ers will simply hand there cars back at end of term at a loss to the dealership. Not many mid-sized family hatchbacks and estates retain close to half of their value after 3 years, so SUK must protest their optimistic GFV's. They will want to keep the waiting lists reasonably long in order to maintain demand (demand feeds demand), but not so long as to put off buyers. 3 months is probably about right, so they will manipulate prices to tailor waiting lists and prolong demand.

Edited by Orville

Yes, correct pipsyp! 335d M Sport X-Drive. I've detailed here in the past various failed attempts to replace a 911 with a hot hatch or anything else with overly sporty pretensions so it had to be something completely different in character yet something that we would both enjoy. Can't get much different than a diesel estate - albeit one that'll do 0-62mph in 4.8 seconds courtesy of 313bhp and 630 Nm (467 lb/ft) torque.

My wife is due to retire in the next couple of years so our heads have to start ruling our hearts, for once. We were actually looking to buy low mileage used, but having trawled the BMW used car website for a fair time and being unable to find one with our ideal specification, our local dealer, ( originally the arrogant and indifferent Scotthall - but now in new and what appears to be much more customer focused hands (Partridge BMW) - came up with a deal that the difference between new and used was much less than we had ever thought. Even though we've gone for a fairly high spec car the savings will repay the cost to change within 18 months. Would have been 12 months until we added some nice to haves to the spec!!

V nice indeed, be a shame to see the 997 go I am sure but the 335d is definitely all things to all people IMHO; all the performance you could ever want or really need particularly in the UK yet extremely practical and for a BM ought to be reasonably affordable to run.

For a good deal BM's seem to be a very good bet nowadays; another guy on here (Furbytom) moved to a really nice spec 120d M Sport for not disimilar money to a vRS, my Dad also recently saved several K on a 2 month old loaded M135i auto, a deal that made a new vRS seem not so great value for money.....have to say though a 335d xdrive touring M sport with some choice options would be my ideal car right now.

Be good to hear what spec youve gone for.

In any case, I challenge you to find a car that has a similar (or better) engine, has at least the same load space, has the same equipment, and doesn't cost > £40k.

That's not difficult, to list a few that are available for under £40K:

Audi A4's (inc V6 diesels)

Audi A6's (including the new Ultra model and V6's)

BMW 3 series

BMW 5 series

Ford Focus ST

Mercedes C class

Mercedes E class

Assorted Volvo's

etc., etc.

I think that's the problem. A few years ago you might have had the choice of a rep spec base BMW 3 series for vRS money, but now you can have a 190bhp Audi A6 S-line saloon (without extras) for £25K at DtD.

I know which I think offers the better value for money!

£24k for what you get isn't alot though is it? It's hardly overpriced, Skoda's "budget brand" past isn't really relevent anymore, unless you want cheap cars that are ****.....

• Like 2

V nice indeed, be a shame to see the 997 go I am sure but the 335d is definitely all things to all people IMHO; all the performance you could ever want or really need particularly in the UK yet extremely practical and for a BM ought to be reasonably affordable to run.

For a good deal BM's seem to be a very good bet nowadays; another guy on here (Furbytom) moved to a really nice spec 120d M Sport for not disimilar money to a vRS, my Dad also recently saved several K on a 2 month old loaded M135i auto, a deal that made a new vRS seem not so great value for money.....have to say though a 335d xdrive touring M sport with some choice options would be my ideal car right now.

Be good to hear what spec youve gone for.

We bought the 997 used at two a half years old, it's now approaching it's sixth birthday. Road tax is now £485 per year, the service and extended warranty due this September would be in excess of £3,000 and so it goes on. But yes, I will miss it, there is no substitute for a Porsche as a driver's car be it Boxster, Cayman or 911.

The BMW shouldn't be overly expensive to run in comparison particularly as 5 years free servicing was included in the deal. Main expense other than fuel will be replacing 19" run flat tyres when they wear out. Insurance is bound to be less and road tax drops to £140 per annum. And that's without the added expense of my wife's car.

Spec of our car is :-

Estoril blue metallic

Black Merino leather seats

Leather instrument panel and door cappings

Interior comfort package

M Sport Package Plus

Media package - BMW Professional

Advanced parking package

Visibility package

Head up display

Panoramic glass sunroof

Enhanced Bluetooth with USB and voice control

Exterior mirrors folding & auto dimming

Electric front seats + driver memory

Lumbar support

Seat heating - front

M Sport adaptive suspension

Speed limit recognition

Edited by Timoctav

£24k for what you get isn't alot though is it? It's hardly overpriced, Skoda's "budget brand" past isn't really relevent anymore, unless you want cheap cars that are ****.....

I'm not sure anyone owning a MK1 or MK2 (me included) would think it was ****, but they were pretty cheap when bought.

With discount, a base vRS TDi is about £22K. But the point I was making is that a £22K base vRS doesn't look particularly cheap against a £25K A6, which comes with more power, more space and more kit as standard.

It has been quite interesting to see what cars some of the forum members have switched to when giving up on the vRS delivery lead times. I'm sure quite a few have been surprised at the sort of metal they could drive for a similar cost (Mercedes, Jaguars, BMW's, etc.)

It's one thing to think that a Golf or A3 is similar in price to more 'executive' cars, but not that a Skoda is so close as well. But I guess Skoda are just cashing in on their success. It'll be interesting to see if it continues in the longer run as production is increased to more closely match demand.

I'm not sure anyone owning a MK1 or MK2 (me included) would think it was ****, 

+1 and I wouldn't pay that for the 3 - I'd rather look elsewhere.

+1 and I wouldn't pay that for the 3 - I'd rather look elsewhere.

Why do you think it's not worth it? On its own terms.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The mk 1 & 2 weren't xxxx ,in fact I went from mk2's and a 2010 Superb, to a mk 1 quite happily, but the mk 3 is in a totally different league.

I'm not sure anyone owning a MK1 or MK2 (me included) would think it was ****, but they were pretty cheap when bought.

Well didn't mention the mkI or mkII did I? The mkII is too old to compare to the mkIII and the mkII was over £20k without the silly offers they were doing, things move on and improve and get more expensive, it's a fact of life