vRS 2.0TSI Bad Misfire - Help!

Hi all,

Just limped home in the vRS, 60 plate 2.0TSI.

Did a scan with my basic bluetooth OBD tool, cylinder 2 misfire.

Engine light and ECP light on.

Car was struggling to run and took ages to change gear (DSG, guessing software limp mode).

My first thoughts are coil pack or spark plug.

Any other ideas before I resort to the dealer?

Cheers, Stu.

Can't see any available for single coil packs online, going to ring Awesome GTI tomorrow and see if I can get some club discount on the R8 red coil packs.

Just came in to advise coilpack but see you are sorted, r8 coils seem more reliable! Worth a pkug chnage while you are at it perhaps!

• Like 1

Some TSI engines have had problems with the fuel injectors causing a misfire type situation. 

I was hoping it was not this, pretty much proved it out though, removed the 'faulty coil' and ran the engine without it in, swapped the coils about, still ran on 3 cylinders, so 99.9% has to be the coil. If it's not, then I'll be very surprised.

Going to have to drive a StreetKa for a day or so! 

• Like 1

Just came in to advise coilpack but see you are sorted, r8 coils seem more reliable! Worth a pkug chnage while you are at it perhaps!

Daz, did you have coil issues and replace with R8 coils?

I didnt mate no, but the symptoms are the same as some guys I know who had those issues! general consensus when I looked into it was that the R8 coils were more reliable as well as shiny and red lol.  How do you find the GFB DV+ Stu?

I didnt mate no, but the symptoms are the same as some guys I know who had those issues! general consensus when I looked into it was that the R8 coils were more reliable as well as shiny and red lol.  How do you find the GFB DV+ Stu?

Ordered the R8 coil packs and some BKR7EIX spark plugs, do them all in one go.

The GFB DV+ is good, seems to hold boost well. Particularly loud combined with the APR Carbonio intake. For the first few thousand miles, it fluttered at anything below 2000RPM, sounded ace but obviously something was amiss. All of a sudden it stopped and started 'whooshing' instead of fluttering, regardless of RPM. Contacted GFB about the issue and they put it down a mis-seated spring within the unit that suddenly shifted and found the correct seating position, hence taking any preload off the spring and actuating at the correct boost instead. 

• Like 1

How much are the R8 coil packs compared to the OEM ones?

Actually much cheaper than individual coils from a dealer.

Individual ones from dealers were over £40 each.

I tried Awesome GTI first who had the R8 coils (x4) on back order for 3 weeks at £77 (not sure about delivery cost).

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/octavia2/red-ignition-coil-pack-set-2-0tfsi

Ended up ordering the R8 coils (x4) from PSI Tuning for £81 delivered.

http://www.psituning.com/product.php/19167/genuine_vag_red_coil_pack_set___2_0tfsi

Spark plugs were £27.99 from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161107865224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Still waiting for everything to arrive today to try it.

Edit: coils have arrived today, no plugs though, looks like I'm waiting till tomorrow :(

• Like 1

Tried the new coils with the old plugs just to confirm it was the issue, spluttered a little bit on turnover but then ran sweet as a nut, so it definitely was the problem. Just waiting for new sparks to arrive tomorrow!

• Like 1

Dont want to paint devils on the wall, but I had some stuttering problems and reason was fuel injector and also there were misfires too. Inside the manifold was also really filled with carbon glunks.

Biggest failure was on the dealership, when they didnt find the problem, because there werent any fault codes. They insisted, that there should be fault code. They did some serious maintenance while trying to find the problem and at the end, it was the fuel injector which I told the 2 months earlier. I was glad, that I didnt had to pay that bill. It was HUGE.

good stuff, funny I have left my OBD Blue connected quite a few times overnight, must remember that!

It is the only thing I can think drained the battery, nothing else was on. I too have left it a few days before with no ill effects. Strange.

• 1 year later...

I really should know this by now but do you need to disconnect the battery to change the spark plugs or is everything safe once the coil pack is disconnected?

Yes, with the coil pack removed the spark plug no longer has a source of electricity, so it's safe. No need to disconnect the battery. To remove the coil packs release the cable harness using the clips and then pull up on the coil pack once you've removed all the cable harness. They can be quite tight on the spark plug.

Yes, with the coil pack removed the spark plug no longer has a source of electricity, so it's safe. No need to disconnect the battery. To remove the coil packs release the cable harness using the clips and then pull up on the coil pack once you've removed all the cable harness. They can be quite tight on the spark plug.

Thanks mate, confirmed my suspicions.

Changed the spark plugs this weekend and the car seems a lot smoother and the power delivery is more linear.

Only problem I had is the cheap socket set I had bought, the rubber washer in the spark plug socket didn't grip the spark plug so had to gently use the coil to extract it; that'll teach me for going cheap!

Do the removed ones look normal as two look 'dry' and two look oily?

• 2 years later...

I've just upgraded to some £110 NGK spark plugs with all service being done at 46k miles - Had milltek downpipe and sport cat and r600 induction.

Took it out for a spin and was okay but under heavy acceleration it started spluttering and EPC came on and not long after engine light and it's running like a tractor now - Definitely misfiring!

I doubt it's the sparks - Sounds like a coilpack - Gonna plug in later and find out cause exactly.