Pi springs any good?

I have seen verious threads about H&R and eibach springs, chrisRS swares by his 30mm pi springs. Anyone else got these who can comment? There a load cheaper then the others and for someone on a budget this helps. Dont really want to loose out out quality. And before people say you only get what you pay for are the others worth 70 odd quid more?

pi springs always used to have a really poor reputation, but i've not heard many bad things about them recently, in the past i've seen them crack and fracture just like any spring made of recycled steel does but i think thier quality control has improved a little since then however.. for me it's always once bitten twice shy, my money would go on eibachs or h&r

Just found some on ebay for £101! Bargin that! 20mm wont damage the shocks i have heard, will 30mm be ok?

• 1 month later...

Here's a photo of mine fitted and run for a couple of weeks so has had time to settle.

Drop is approx 25mm at front and 20mm at rear.

Think it sits about perfect for everyday use, ride is very similar to standard, a bit firmer and a bit more fidgety on uneven surfaces.

Doesn't roll so much in corners, haven't really noticed the bounciness that some others have reported.

P1020068

P1020069

P1020071

I used pi springs on an ibiza a good few years ago. They were fitted with standard shocks and ride was terrible. Must say that I also fitted eibach springs to a mk1 leon cupra r with standard shocks and the ride was very crashy on that. Changed the shocks to eibach and the ride was far better than the original setup. Personally I would always change the dampers as well as I have found standard shocks struggle to cope. Depends on your expectations though. I've been in lowered cars that the owner has said the ride is great and I've thought it was dreadful.

Yes always change your dampers as well . The ride will be like Tigger no matter what lowering springs you have . If you lower it you have in effect a compressed spring so unless your damper is not brand new it cannot cope fast enough. I had PI springs on my Octavia but also koni fsd dampers, bouncy ride before dampers, sublime after 

Not Octavia related, but I had Pi springs on a Focus many years ago and they were quite hard, but otherwise they were just fine. Even with our awful roads, I covered a lot of miles and never had a problem.

On a Celica I owned after the Focus I had Eibach springs on standard shocks and they were very good, offering a ride as good if not slightly smoother than stock.

Make of that what you will, but I certainly wouldn't be put off Pi springs, just buy into them knowing what they offer.

How easy to fit on an Octavia? I struggled with my Mk2 Leon Cupra and ended up having to pay a garage to fit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pretty much the same as the leon

• 1 month later...

in the past i've seen them crack and fracture just like any spring made of recycled steel does

You can't make steel without using recycled steel or steel scrap. So any spring you have seen broken is made from recycled steel, and any unbroken spring is also made from recycled steel.

The highest quality iron ore is about 30% iron, in the form of heamatite, which is like lowgrade rust. The rest is dirt with all sorts of unwanted and unwelcome rubbish in it.

Open hearth furnaces and their modern derivatives have to use scrap to enable them to work, there is too much junk which clogs the furnaces otherwise. Scrap could contain upwards of 95% of pure iron, a much better % to work with.

No scrap = no steel

Once the iron is melted the impurities are removed by adding stuff like limestone which forms a slag on the top which can be floated off.

Iron ore used will often contain sulphur and phosphorous which degrade the steels properties. These are usually burnt off by blowing oxygen through, burning off the impurities.

Once the iron is clean, desirable additives and alloying elements are put in to increase the mechanical properties of the end product. Every thing is controlled, the carbon content which give it the basic hardenability and other metals like manganese which promote toughness, lead to promote easy machineability or nickel and chromium which would make it rust resistant or even stainless.

The clever people at the steel plant can produce whatever grade you want. The purchaser has to select the right grade for their use.

If a steel based product is breaking under normal designed use then it would be the wrong grade of steel was chosen. Not because scrap was used in its production.

It could also be the design criteria were incorrect and inadequate.

^^ yes I understand m all that, I missed out the word cheap, what I was alluding to in a diplomatic way is avoid cheapo springs because they are made from any old crud the foundry has laying about, pi are amongst the worst out there.

^^ yes I understand m all that, I missed out the word cheap, what I was alluding to in a diplomatic way is avoid cheapo springs because they are made from any old crud the foundry has laying about, pi are amongst the worst out there.

Rubbish Tom

Please supply supporting evidence..because mine are very good

BTW..They are the same as Eibachs...but red

• Like 1

Rubbish Tom

Please supply supporting evidence..because mine are very good

BTW..They are the same as Eibachs...but red

Had mine fitted for over 6 months now and I think they are great, much better than the standard VRS springs, both in terms of ride quality and stance.

• Like 1

I must admit I am warming to this quite affordable way of dropping the car. I'm thinking (similar to what Chris has done) springs now & maybe shocks at a later stage. I bet the fitting costs are more than the springs though? :notme:  Can anyone enlighten me on this one & send me a link to the springs (for me to hover my cursor over :peek: ).

Is this correct? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-06-VRS-2-0-30mm-PI-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/121410175749?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c449c4305#ht_6353wt_906

I'm looking for the same drop Chris achieved from his posted pics so i'm guessing the 30mm drop is the ones you used Chris (resulting in a nett drop off approx 10mm)?

radders567 I have the same model/year of car as you, can you remember the parts no.?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by HWMBO - Mark

Guys - looking for some advice. I've bought the Pi 30mm springs after seeing some good write ups on here (and ChrisRS) swearing by them. My cars is a 77k FL CR DSG so I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the shocks as well? I'd be doing it on a budget, so possibly the PI shocks as they are £170ish and then get it all fitted together?anyone done the same? I was also considering a RARB but not sure where or what to get?

Cheers

Edited by Nixd33