True Octavia vRS competitors

lozgti

We are talking about a petrol powered hatchback that looks like a family four door saloon so sensible suggestions please! :)

The most obvious cars of similar nature seem to be the only two I can think of.The Mondeo ST 220 and the Vectra SRi/GSi type models.Similar (ish)bhp/performance figures too

Don't think Lagunas or Avensis etc quite hack it.Quite like the Mazda 6 but doesn't seem particularly quick.

Sometimes I wonder what category the octavia is actually in.Despite golf base,should it really be compared to that group of cars,the 'Hot hatchback ' crowd?

i posted a similar post a while back..not quite worded the same...but it is fustrating jsut where does the octavia lay its head...

the small hot hatches even though on paper have less bhp and torque they have a power to weight advantage...causing us problems up to 60 then atfter we may gain some ground... and the flip side is cars that are as big as us have big power plants that run V6 V8 leave us after 60...

Joel

Some of the Volvo's are pretty quick for size and weight aren't they?

The thought of a Vectra would make me look elsewhere for sure. ST220 is ok but it will probably depreciate quickly.

Jaguar?? Not sure if they've got anything that really performs well.

Audi - Expensive though.

There is no doubting that the Octy is fantastic VFM.

Edit - sorry missed the point there - I thought you were looking Doh :rolleyes:

I think Lozgti is asking the question with regards to the 'medium family saloon' as opposed to the ''executive' category, as such you can leave out SAAB, Audi, BMW etc.

I have never considered the Octy as a 'hot hatch' more of a 'sports saloon' as such the direct competition is relatively limited. There was a road test done by one of the major car mags (sorry cant remember which it was) that put the vRS against the Rover ZS and Volkswagon Bora, the Octy won by miles :)

If your basic requirement for a car means you need 4/5 seats and a boot to hold all the luggage there is simply nothing available at the same cost. Comparisons with 'hot hatches' are meaningless in this case as the hot hatch wont fulfill the basic requirements.

My previous two cars were both Rover 620ti 's. 2-litre turbo engine with 197bhp as standard (mine ran 209bhp on the RR after some tweaking :thumbup: ). They were (and still are) fantastic value for money for a high powered saloon car.

The only problem is the reliability issues...

I have never considered the Octy as a 'hot hatch' more of a 'sports saloon' as such the direct competition is relatively limited. There was a road test done by one of the major car mags (sorry cant remember which it was) that put the vRS against the Rover ZS and Volkswagon Bora' date=' the Octy won by miles :)

QUOTE']

Top Gear ran that test. I have the test in Adobe.I can email it to anyone who's interested.

What About The Civic Vti Hatch And Estate 167bhp 1.8 Normally Aspirated Good Value Now For A W Reg Before The New Civic Came Out

Or What About Primera Gt With 150bhp And One Of The Best Handling Big Hatches Which Both Ford And Vauxhall Based There Mondy Vectras On

Bmw 325 Yes I Know "built Mainly For Wan*ers" But Its Still In The Same Class Just A Wee Bit Expensive

focus' date=' astra golf etc. in which case theres alot of cars that are faster and better to drive

:)[/quote']

Ah, but can they carry as much luggage ?

In which case you cannot compare ;)

I dont believe anyone here would seriously believe the current Octy vRS is a competitor to the VXR, Golf, or even the old CTR. Please repeat after the me...

''The vRS is NOT a Hot Hatch''

never has been, never will be :)

Its very odd really.It feels exactly the same size internally as my Audi 1.8T that I had on an R plate and with the same tight rear leg space and switchgear(the 150 bhp version not my 51 plate 163bhp version I had after it) yet with a bigger boot :confused:

I think whether or not it is on the golf platform it must come into family saloon territory.Its a bit of a difficult one.

Forgot about the MG offerings :thumbup:

Place your bets on what they road test the new one against..Golf GTI/Astra VXR/Megane 225 OR the quick family cars? My money is on the latter.Fast family :)

Laguna GT205, Mondeo ST220, Vectra 3.2V6 and VXR,

Thing is about the Octavia is it doesn't fit into either the C or D segment. its got a Golf chassis so has poor rear legroom, but it has the fat bum of a Passat so you can transport the everything including the sink, and thus its a bit of compromise. So you can really pull in competitors out of the C and D segment.

That being the case, you can add all the hot hatches in as competitors including the new Leon 2.0T FSI Sport 185 when its launched, aswell as the cars above from the D segment.

PS The Leon is going to be cheap too, Seat confirmed the price to the dealers at

Laguna GT205' date=' Mondeo ST220, Vectra 3.2V6 and VXR,

Thing is about the Octavia is it doesn't fit into either the C or D segment. its got a Golf chassis so has poor rear legroom, but it has the fat bum of a Passat so you can transport the everything including the sink, and thus its a bit of compromise. So you can really pull in competitors out of the C and D segment.

/QUOTE']

So what we have then is slightly less performance compared to the top class C cars, but with the load capacity of class D cars.

All for the price of a mid range Class C

Surely this is the perfect vehicle !

:D

I bought the OctyRS coz I needed a family car so it needed to have space. I also wanted a hot hatch. The Octy was the best comprimise between space, speed and price. I like to think the Octy is in a 'class' of its own:thumbup:

As for 'competitors' I would have to exclude anything with 2 doors, which means most of the hot hatches. Best comparison to the Octy is the Leon Cupra...almost identical under the skin. The Vag group saw a niche in the market and exploited it imo much to our delight.

wether or not the octy has more boot space than other cars in its class is not important surely. just because it has a bigger boot doesnt mean it should be in a different class does it? the golf used to have a bigger boot than its rivals so does it get a class of its own? :confused:

i agree it sits in between classes but its closer to the golf focus bora etc so it really has to be put in with them

hot hatch? why not? its a hatch withback with 180bhp :rolleyes:

I think it's the fact that it doesn't look like your stereotypical hot hatch that is the problem eg. squarish hatchback, wheels at corners, smallish boot etc. It looks more like a mondeo/ vectra but on a smaller platform, bit like putting a vectra body on an astra chassis (they dont do they?) So therefore it is perceived more as a family saloon-sized car, even though underneath it all it's a Golf. The rear overhang adds an extra foot onto the back, making the roofline longer and accentuating the length of the car. Equipment-wise it is similar to hot hatches, and in terms of passenger space too. What it definitely is is an absolute bargain for what you get...

I don't think the chassis size means anything.It could be on the chassis of the original mini.

It is the general size and shape of the car.Joe Soap will walk into a skoda showroom and see

Superb...big car

Octavia...medium sized car

Fabia ...small car

99% of the population know nothing about cars and what chassis they are on ,just how big the car before their eyes looks :)

I Had a Primera GT as my last Car and I could not find anything to replace it

other than the Octy vRS I have 2 young Boy so needed some space most Hot haches are to small

If looked at car simerler to the Primera your choses are Mondeo ST 220 and the Vectra SRi/GSi all cost more to by and run the Octy is about the same size in the in side as a audi A4 Yas it has less leg room than my old Primera but my 5 year old and 2 year old dont notice

After owning my vRS for 6 mounts it still put a smille on my face when i go to work on a monday morning.

I just hope the New one is as good and I dont care what other Cars its compered to