Octavia, 2013, fuse box access, help, please

Hi, I am new here, so please be kind to me.

On my 2013 Octavia, I can't get the glove box out to access the fuses. I have the side plastic panel off, as per the owners handbook, but can't follow the next step to "unlock the brake rod".

I don't know where it is or how to push it, once it's off it will probably be obvious, but it ain't at the moment.

Can someone help, please?

Thanks

John

I have at last found the answer to this - and I don't like it!

On the 2014 models the glovebox has to be removed by unscrewing 6 very hard to get at screws and the chances are that you may find it impossible, I have been maintaining my own vehicles all my life and even removed the bumper on my old Passat to change light bulbs, but this fuse box is a right bugger!

I couldn't do it.

What a way to design a car.

John

I have at last found the answer to this - and I don't like it!

On the 2014 models the glovebox has to be removed by unscrewing 6 very hard to get at screws and the chances are that you may find it impossible, I have been maintaining my own vehicles all my life and even removed the bumper on my old Passat to change light bulbs, but this fuse box is a right bugger!

I couldn't do it.

What a way to design a car.

John

You're clearly doing something wrong as there's clear instructions in the manual.  At no point do you need to remove any screws.

If it's anything like the front indicator bulbs then i can imagine they obviously don't care too much about making it difficult but I've not looked into the fuses so can't comment.

Off topic slightly but what Passat did you have that required the bumper removal, I had a 99 and an 06 and i never had to remove the bumper

Edited by V6Jules

When I popped the fuse that feeds both 12V sockets trying to pump up my winter tyres (the pump got stuck, short circuited, POP), I too tried to get in there to fix it. 

In the end my dealer did it for me but it still took 30 minutes in their nice dry workshop.  Imagine popping a fuse at 11PM on a motorway in the pi55ing rain, miles from anywhere with SWMBO kicking off when she has to get her hair wet while you're crawling around in the passenger footwell. IMO it a design flaw and a half!  

I've done it a few times now when hard wiring a dash cam and I think getting it out isn't too bad. Refitting the brake rod is a right faff, but you can just put the glove box back without it.

Its not as hard as it seems.

No screws either.

Only tricky bit is flipping that retaining hook. Then shut your eyes and tug as shown in the handbook.

I've had mine out a couple of times to fit a dash cam feed. Didn't bother re fitting that retaining strap as its fiddly and I don't put anything heavy in the glove box.

• 4 years later...

As I've added to a few related posts, there's now a great video on Youtube by Chris Horswill on changing the pollen/cabin filter - which also necessitates removal of the glovebox. Fiddly, yes, and dreadful design by Skoda but the video tells/shows you all you need to know.

This is the video referenced above in case anyone is wondering:

Personally, I still think unclipping the damper from the left hand side of the dashboard is a safer way to do it and it takes less than a minute to unclip the side panel and lift off the damper arm.