Error light on dash on new VRS

Hi all,

My 2.0 TDi DSG Estate VRs has approx 1400 miles on the clock and was about 1 month old.

I was driving home and the engine felt like it lost power.  I then noticed the glow plug indicator was flashing.  It seemed to be in a 'safe mode' which reduced throttle but I was able to get it home.

I restated the engine when i got home and the light did not flash so I thought I'll get it to the dealer the next evening to get it checked out.

The next day I was setting off for work and after a few seconds driving the light began to flash again and back into 'safe mode'.  I contacted my local Skoda servicing department who suggested calling Skoda assistance which I did.

Skoda assistance arrived and were unable to diagnose the fault.  the engine management light illuminated during his checks. The only option was to drive the car to the Skoda garage and booked it in.

I received a replacement car later that day from Eurocar as Skoda didn't have any courtesy vehicles for me.

The car has been with Skoda from the 19th May.  From the contact I have had from service they believe it is a sensor or wiring so are attempting to replace this with a donor vehicle (i'm not sure I want the wiring in my new VRS ripped out and stuck back in again) .

The last call I received on 28th May and they still don't know whats wrong with the car and are continuing to investigate.

So here I am driving a VW Sharan instead of my VRS that I waited almost 6 months for and Skoda Service don't know whats wrong with it.  I am concerned that the work carried out may impact the future reliability of the car.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Sounds as though dealer is giving you good service.  Leave it with them to investigate and sort out.  Meantime use loan vehicle and clock up the mileage on this.  Don't fret about what may/may not happen in the future.

Don't panic. 

If, however, you are still concerned about the long term reliability I will take it off your hands for a suitably reduced price!  :p

Not ideal - short of kicking and screaming about getting a more suitable loaner to easy the pain I'm not sure what to suggest.

If they can fix it I don't think it will have any long term impact on the car.

However wiring gremlins in modern cars are often almost impossible to find!

If they don't get a solution soon, push for a new car with a vRS as a loaner in the mean time...

Thanks for the responses folks.  

I agree with your comments.  I have a good relationship with the dealer at the min so I'll give them more time to do there thing.

If, however, you are still concerned about the long term reliability I will take it off your hands for a suitably reduced price!  :p

30k and its yours!  :D

• Like 1

Update - I just received a call and it turns out the fault was with a pressure sensor which has been replaced.

The technician will drive it tonight to test it further and all being well I can pick it up tomorrow.

Touch wood I don't have any further problems.  :notme:

• Like 1

The technician will give it a good thrashing tonight to test it further and as long as he doesn't write it off I can pick it up tomorrow.

There, fixed that for you.  :D

Edited by WiggosSidsburns
  • Like 4

More like:

The technician will give it a good thrashing with music blaring tonight while doing the local pizza delivery service to test it further and all being well I can pick it up tomorrow.

• Like 1

More like:

The technician will give it a good thrashing with music blaring tonight while doing the local pizza delivery service after which he's gonna pick up his bird from the local McDonalds and show her just how useful an estate car really is to test it further and and as long as he doesn't write it off I can pick it up tomorrow.

We'll leave it at that and not mention the 10 kilos he's shifting to the safe house at 5am that his mate Lenny brought in through the Channel Tunnel last week...

Edited by Nookiebear
  • Like 2

Update - I just received a call and it turns out the fault was with a pressure sensor which has been replaced.

The technician will drive it tonight to test it further and all being well I can pick it up tomorrow.

Touch wood I don't have any further problems.  :notme:

Its interesting because the same day you posted this I had exactly the same problem with my diesel vRS.

Engine was in limp-home & the cause was a Boost Pressure Sensor failure which they replaced.

Took the car to the garage the afternoon the fault occurred & before lunchtime the next day I had a call to say all was corrected.

Car was valeted inside & carwashed ready for me to collect.

I have a feeling this might be a known problem (maybe from a certain build date). Mine is 2 months old with 8000km so similar date to yours.

When I took it to the garage & said it was in limp-home, the technician opened the bonnet & went straight for the sensors and connectors around the turbo.

Almost like he knew what the problem was already.

Anyway, I am happy, the car is running fine again & the service I received from Skoda was outstanding.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its interesting because the same day you posted this I had exactly the same problem with my diesel vRS.

Engine was in limp-home & the cause was a Boost Pressure Sensor failure which they replaced.

Took the car to the garage the afternoon the fault occurred & before lunchtime the next day I had a call to say all was corrected.

Car was valeted inside & carwashed ready for me to collect.

I have a feeling this might be a known problem (maybe from a certain build date). Mine is 2 months old with 8000km so similar date to yours.

When I took it to the garage & said it was in limp-home, the technician opened the bonnet & went straight for the sensors and connectors around the turbo.

Almost like he knew what the problem was already.

Anyway, I am happy, the car is running fine again & the service I received from Skoda was outstanding.

Interesting - Funny mine took 2 weeks to put right. Communication must be lacking between Skoda UK and their servicing depts.

I would guess/hope the next time that problem comes to the technician it will be fixed quickly.

• 4 months later...

Well after waiting for 9months for the car. I had this problem driving home from work the other night. Glow plug indicator began to flash followed by the engine management light illuminating. Then into limp mode. I managed to get it home but the garage have no idea what the problem is. I'm hoping that after covering 1,250 miles it will 'just' be a faulty sensor.

My car is a Vrs manual diesel estate MY15 anyone else had similar problems?