Dsg recall

I think I read this, maybe from another post sometime back.

I think the 2.0 get the wet clutch 6 speed whereas the others get the dry clutch 7 speed. vRS owners should be fine, I think it's the smaller engined DSGs that are affected.

Had a call from the dealer today saying my 7 speed dsg box has a recall for an oil change, as anyone else heard about this?

My dad's Golf has a DSG box and that had the oil changed at it's service this week, it had to be kept for an extra 3-4 hours for the work on the gearbox.

I think there is a problem with the type of oil that is in the gearbox.

I got a recall notice for my Octy II which was 1.4TSi DSG, but as the car was p/exd told the dealer for them to sort it with new owner. No mention of a recall on the new car as yet.

I also recall previous thread & at that time I spoke to Skoda UK who said letters were being sent to affected owners. As it was a while ago & no letter or dealer contact I assume mine isn't affected. They change synthetic oil for mineral oil (or that is what they said).

Had a call from the dealer today saying my 7 speed dsg box has a recall for an oil change, as anyone else heard about this?

I thought the 7-speed was a dry 'box. Therefore no oil, therefore no oil change needed?

6-speeds DSGs need an oil change every 40k miles - about 7 litres of oil - c. £190 for the job. From memory.

HTH.

I thought the 7-speed was a dry 'box. Therefore no oil, therefore no oil change needed?

6-speeds DSGs need an oil change every 40k miles - about 7 litres of oil - c. £190 for the job. From memory.

HTH.

It's a dry clutch, not a dry box.

HTH.

I'm not techy but as they told me - the gearbox has oil & that oil acts on some of the electrics as a coolant. In hot countries coupled with synthetic oil it causes those electrics to fail. The answer is to change to mineral oil hence recalls in China & India.

From VW's website:

DSG 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox

Our 7-speed DSG dual-clutch gearbox was a world first. What makes it so innovative is its pair of dry clutches which have dispensed with the need for the oil bath of conventional 'wet' clutches. They have been designed to improve fuel efficiency and driving agility further.

The clutches' dry, organic-bonded friction linings need no cooling. The gearbox is also very compact and requires less power for the gear selection and clutch servo system.

Ideal for motorway driving

Adopting 7 speeds meant our engineers could lower 1st gear to improve acceleration from standstill and raise 7th gear to act as an overdrive function, ideal for motorway driving. This can save fuel, cut emissions, and means the car runs even more quietly.

Oil volume cut by 75 per cent

The volume of oil in the gearbox has been cut by 75 per cent. Oil circuits are split into two in an effort to protect purity. As with a conventional manual gearbox, one circuit is used for cooling and lubrication of the gear teeth, the second feeds oil to the gear actuators. Since the clutch does not need cooling the quantity of oil has reduced from 7 litres in the 6-speed DSG 'box to just 1.7-litres in the 7-speed system. The result: improved efficiency rating for the gearbox and lower fuel consumption.

Edited by bouff34
  • Like 1

It's a "Service Campaign" I believe - or was!  Plenty of discussion on the Fabia II forum about it.  FOC, takes a couple of hours, has become (I think) worldwide instead of the original "hot climate" recalls.