Octavia 2.0tdi firm, hard suspension

I've ordered the Golf shocks (V5Q0513029DP - for a Golf 2.0TDI SE Hatch) and I'll get them fitted next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

It'd be interesting to see how they compare to the Bilsteins.

• Like 1

I've ordered the Golf shocks (V5Q0513029DP - for a Golf 2.0TDI SE Hatch) and I'll get them fitted next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

It'd be interesting to see how they compare to the Bilsteins.

Who will be the first one to find their new shocks don't fit the car? :D

Got you sweating though! I take it you told them it was for an Octy?

They will fit, when I checked the Bilstein B4 part refs I was given for the O3, they also came up as an exact match for the Golf 7 so Spacenase should be fine. Personally, I'd rather try a different brand of damper, as lost faith with the Sachs parts.

Got you sweating though! I take it you told them it was for an Octy?

No, I didn't want to confuse things and thanks Matt for boosting my confidence.

My 2 main concerns are whether they will make a real difference and some comments on the Golf forums about noisy shocks. What tamir0 said is great, but sometimes these things are down to personal perception. I did notice the better ride on a Golf when I test drove one before buying the Octavia though, so hopefully this will shine through. I'm ready to replace the front ones too if there turns out to be a noticeable difference between front and back.

Edited by spacenase
  • Like 1

Bit of a bonus, my insurance company don't want any extra cash if I have the Pro Kit fitted, so no excuses now, order will be placed in the morning! :clap:

Bit of a bonus, my insurance company don't want any extra cash if I have the Pro Kit fitted, so no excuses now, order will be placed in the morning! :clap:

Good money after bad, good money after bad :D

Nah only joking. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to put that £400 into savings. It can go towards my 'even more expensive' upgraded suspension. Its called XF suspension :cocktail:

Incidentally, if I looked correctly yesterday, Sachs seemed to be owned by ZF. The manufacturers of the auto boxes in these executive cars.

• Like 1

Incidentally, if I looked correctly yesterday, Sachs seemed to be owned by ZF. The manufacturers of the auto boxes in these executive cars.

...don't forget that VAG own Bugatti but I don't think Bugatti owners would be too pleased if they found out their suspension shared the same components as my Octy!

...don't forget that VAG own Bugatti but I don't think Bugatti owners would be too pleased if they found out their suspension shared the same components as my Octy!

Or that we have a cheaper Bentley :p

Nah don't worry. No matter what you think of Sachs, ZF are actually very good. Their products are used quite a bit in the rail industry, so if they can handle that, they can certainly handle cars.

If you want a decent torque converter, you don't look beyond Voith or ZF

No matter what you think of Sachs, ZF are actually very good. Their products are used quite a bit in the rail industry, so if they can handle that, they can certainly handle cars.

If you want a decent torque converter, you don't look beyond Voith or ZF

My point was that all manufacturers make both good and bad products/components. Sachs or ZF may well be good at some things but the low end dampers on my car are not fit for purpose so I'm going to try another brand.

Btw, Skoda also make trains, or trams, someone posted a pic recently on the Brisky facebook page!

My point was that all manufacturers make both good and bad products/components. Sachs or ZF may well be good at some things but the low end dampers on my car are not fit for purpose so I'm going to try another brand.

Btw, Skoda also make trains, or trams, someone posted a pic recently on the Brisky facebook page!

They do. Not sure if its the same company though. Obviously was at one point, but don't know now. Will check

Yep, indeed they do. Or they will build to a price.

My wife's Uncle has a factory that makes frozen deserts (cheesecakes, etc). He produces some under his own brand & a lot more under various Supermarket house labels. He uses premium ingredients in his own label & some of the more expensive house brands. The cheaper stuff he has to compromise on some items. He still makes profit on all of them despite the wholesale price ranging from $1-$3. I really doubt a >insert high quality damper manufacturer< would have the same quality / technology in their OEM dampers as they would in their aftermarket, high-end stuff.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the experiment didn't work as the shocks didn't fit. They were longer in the body and the base was wider. I think my only other option is to see if the 1.4 has the same shocks as the 2.0TDI and try and get the same shocks as tamir0.

tamir0 - do you still have your original shocks? Can you get the part number off them?

I can see JungleJames preparing his "I told you so" dance now...  :clap:

I think I've found the problem. The 2.0TDI Golf has multi-link rear suspension, I should have double-checked. I'll need the shocks for the 1.6TDI Golf which has the torsion beam.

I'll see if I can get them exchanged.

Just a thought, fitting of Golf parts to a Skoda. Would this entail advising your insurance that you have 'modified' your suspension, or, as both are under the VAG group you are using parts form the same manufacturing group? Would it invalidate the manufactures warranty?

There seems to be a number of interior parts I recognize from my old Passat so they already play swopsies.

I can see JungleJames preparing his "I told you so" dance now...  :clap:

Would I ever?! :notme:

See Matt is a clever ol' git, you should have gone for Bilstein shocks. He even managed to sweet talk his supplier into giving him over 50% off. OK in reality he probably had to sell his body, but he hasn't admitted to that yet :no:

Don't worry, I only call him clever as it increases the number of 'likes' I get :D

• Like 2

One interesting thing I found out, I was quoted £96 for the Octavia shocks and £73 for the Golf ones. Also, VW dealers do not like giving out part numbers over the phone, "not company policy" apparently. The parts guys did seem embarrassed to say it, especially when I said it's stupid. It seems they are trade secrets!

• Like 1

Just a thought, fitting of Golf parts to a Skoda. Would this entail advising your insurance that you have 'modified' your suspension, or, as both are under the VAG group you are using parts form the same manufacturing group? Would it invalidate the manufactures warranty?

There seems to be a number of interior parts I recognize from my old Passat so they already play swopsies.

Probably on both counts, but it would rely on people cross-checking the part numbers.

When you fit Ferodo brake pads from the local Motor Factors do you ring and advise them of that?  I don't think so.    Dampers are a consumable IMO

• Like 1

When you fit Ferodo brake pads from the local Motor Factors do you ring and advise them of that?  I don't think so.    Dampers are a consumable IMO

Good point! You don't generally get OEM shocks if you get them replaced outside of the dealer network, so there's no real difference.