Octavia 2.0tdi firm, hard suspension

Yestarday i fitted a new front shocks for my Octavia,after i found that changing the rear ones alone is not enough . Now i have a complete set of the Golf 7 suspention, and the car can be called a very smooth riding car . The two shocks are complete(spring and shocks) and they have two blue dots on it(the octavia shocks have one blue dot and one pink).

Good luck for the followers

What's the part number of your front shocks, are they the same as the ones I got?

What's the part number of your front shocks, are they the same as the ones I got?

5q0 412 014 ME

It is for the petrol engine i guess. I think it is the softest you can get, and it realy feels softer.

Good point on the softness, it does look as if they are weight related and my diesel engine will need firmer ones than your petrol.

Many thanks for doing the initial research and starting this thread. You've helped solve my biggest complaint about my car.

You're welcome. 

It might be good for the diesels as well, hence my car is now 0.5cm to 1cm higher in front. And it is not too soft either.

p.s.

It is hard work for removing the old ones. You need a good hummer,patience, more patience, and not to forget to release the 3 screws below the wishbone, for a full movement. And more patience.

Good luck

Tamir0, I have a 1.4 hatch and thinking of doing the same upgrade as you to Golf shocks. Would you kindly confirm if the ones from your ebay link is the right one? Since you have the combi I thought I better check first.

Good money after bad, good money after bad :D

Nah only joking. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to put that £400 into savings. It can go towards my 'even more expensive' upgraded suspension. Its called XF suspension :cocktail:

Incidentally, if I looked correctly yesterday, Sachs seemed to be owned by ZF. The manufacturers of the auto boxes in these executive cars.

Yes ZF Sach, but a different plant to ZF Auto boxes, the manual gearboxes used by many are also ZF Sachs, but after working with them, I would not take the ZF name to mean quality!

Tamir0, I have a 1.4 hatch and thinking of doing the same upgrade as you to Golf shocks. Would you kindly confirm if the ones from your ebay link is the right one? Since you have the combi I thought I better check first.

Let me know how you get on, I need to sort out the rear end of mine too, its noisy, thumpy and swaying not a great combo.  I'm kinda thinking softer shocks and a RARB if I can find one not sold only as a pair. 

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Even if this is true, its plain stupid to change shocks on a new car and certainly not cheap.

Thank you for your considered opinion. I'll just carry on enjoying the comfortable ride in my car.

• Like 3

Good for you, but even with this change you still dont have a multilink suspension which is unforgivable in my opinion.

Edited by toni8b

Good for you, but even with this change you still dont have a multilink suspension which is unforgivable in my opinion.

I am sure you did not mean it that way, but that can be read as being a bit rude.

Some people with multi-link rear suspension have also complained about the harshness of their ride so I think the damper problem extends across suspension types.

• Like 2

I was not talking about ride quality without multilink suspension, but the irregularity since the car back end doesnt not follow the road as it should, often skipping potholes and landing off path, which can be especially annoying in the corners, even if you are not driving fast. Thats just my gripe for skoda cutting expenses there, nothing more.

I was not talking about ride harshness without multilink suspension, but the irregularity since the car back end doesnt not follow the road as it should, often skipping potholes and landing off path, which can be especially annoying in the corners, even if you are not driving fast. Thats just my gripe for skoda cutting expenses there, nothing more.

I was not talking about ride quality without multilink suspension, but the irregularity since the car back end doesnt not follow the road as it should, often skipping potholes and landing off path, which can be especially annoying in the corners, even if you are not driving fast. Thats just my gripe for skoda cutting expenses there, nothing more.

I cannot say I have noticed it is that much worse than my previous Mk2 in that respect.

I can appreciate that your sentiments concerning the Elegance model, at that price I agree it should have the independent rear.

At the price I bought the base version here in Australia there are very few competitors with multi-link fitted other than the Golf and Jetta (the latter built in Mexico and non-MQB, undercuts the Octavia on price).

Yes that's poor on Skoda's part, but changing the shocks is a cheap way of partially solving the problem. Its certainly cheaper than buying a new car.

• Like 1

I agree that a £20k+ car should get IRS as standard fit, just as the O2 did but hey ho, that's progress! Anyway, having taken the plunge on new springs and shocks all round, the rear end feels much more planted and I've not noticed it jumping out since the new bits were fitted, whereas the OEM suspension gave me that experience most days so I've got to conclude that it's not necessarily the torsion beam that causes the problem, but more likely the combination with poorer quality OEM springs and/or dampers. One other thing I've noticed since fitting the new suspension is at low speed over speed bumps, the OEM springs/dampers would creak and groan, but the new bits have not done this yet.

So I've now got the front shocks replaced with the new ones that both VW and Skoda supply and they also help with the ride. They don't provide the major change that the rear ones do, but they do smooth out the ride a bit more. I'm much happier!   :clap:

It would be interesting to compare my car with one with Bilstein shocks to see if they have a similar effect for less cost.

• Like 2

So I've now got the front shocks replaced with the new ones that both VW and Skoda supply and they also help with the ride. They don't provide the major change that the rear ones do, but they do smooth out the ride a bit more. I'm much happier!   :clap:

It would be interesting to compare my car with one with Bilstein shocks to see if they have a similar effect for less cost.

I suspect the B4s alone would give a similar result on the basis that on paper, the changes I made including lowering the car by 30mm should have made the ride worse but overall, I ended up with a better ride. The only way to test whether changing the springs limited the improvement in ride quality would have been to fit them in 2 stages but that would have effectively doubled my fitting costs!

Its a bit like a crying child at 3am, you throw every know medication at the problem and never find the true cure but, Matt's approach has worked on two aspects, he not only likes the improved ride but, loves the improved looks too.

Hell I brought stuff for no reason other than I wanted it before so, I guess its just a horses for courses outcome really.

• Like 1

So I've now got the front shocks replaced with the new ones that both VW and Skoda supply and they also help with the ride.

Shocks that Skoda also supply?

Are these new shocks being fitted to current Octavia's?

I don't know if they are fitted as standard, but they are a different part number to the ones that were fitted to my car and the ones supplied by the Skoda dealer after I gave them my reg no. I presume they are therefore.

I don't know if they are fitted as standard, but they are a different part number to the ones that were fitted to my car and the ones supplied by the Skoda dealer after I gave them my reg no. I presume they are therefore.

Interesting.

I can confirm that. In fact, it is the dealer that i used.

I guess all of the Octavia models, incl. yours, will do well with those shocks.

Be aware that at the rear, there are two differnt suspention systems:1 is the simple torsion beam and 2. is the IRS or separate suspention. You will first have to check your car before buying the rear ones.

I think the torsion beam shocks(the one i have) are slightly longer.

Both will supply you a creamy ride.

Cheers