Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

I've had this problem for some time.  The car starts fine from cold and runs with no problems.  Once it gets up to normal temperature though it either stalls or "lurches" and appears to go into limp home mode.  Using VCDS-Lite a single error appears, below:

Address 01: Engine       Labels: Redir Fail!   Controller: 047 906 033 A   Component: 1,4l SIMOS3PA   00HSSJ48   Coding: 00021   Shop #: WSC 13765   VCID: 115536474871   TMBNB46Y9Y3040799     SKZ7Z0Y04929371 Fault Found:16706 -  Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal            P0322 - 35-10 -   - - IntermittentReadiness: 0010 0101

I've swapped out the engine speed sensor (albeit using a cheap second hand replacement) but am getting exactly the same behaviour. I've also tried cleaning contacts etc. but to no avail.  Any ideas or pointers would be welcome.

thanks

Replaced the cam or cranks sensor, my memory of that code means it could be either.

Also check the wiring and connectors, a wire had come out of mine previously by the looks of the bodge I found.

hi Devonutopia, I lived in Bideford for a while, thanks for that :D

thanks all for the responses. I thought the 16706 error was specifically for the camshaft sensor, can anyone point me to the location of the crankshaft sensor?

thanks again.

hi Devonutopia, I lived in Bideford for a while, thanks for that :D

thanks all for the responses. I thought the 16706 error was specifically for the camshaft sensor, can anyone point me to the location of the crankshaft sensor?

thanks again.

Nope, (G28) means it's the crank position sensor, no wonder you haven't fixed it, you've changed the wrong sensor!

The CPS is always low down on the engine block at the gearbox end, don't know precisely where on your engine since I've never clapped eyes on one, could be at the front or back of the block.

I'm on mobile so can't see your car. It its the vrs its at the front behind the oil cooler (under the oil filter).

You need to take the cooler off to access and a multipoint socket (sorry can't remember the name, though I do have a pic I can post if needed) to undo the bolt, I think a deep/long socket is best.

thanks guys, looks like I have changed the wrong sensor - glad I bought the cheap one now.  I have the 2000 1.4 MPI, not really worth much more than the price of the sensor. :-)

there seem to be quite a few questions about the location of sensors in the Fabia 1.4mpi, so in case its of help to anyone else, I came across this useful diagram:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/drive_unit/1.0/37;_1.4/44;_1.4/50_kw_mpi_engine/mixture_preparation_system_electronic_inj.gas/fuel_injection_system/overview_of_fitting_locations/

showing the G28 at location 7.

there seem to be quite a few questions about the location of sensors in the Fabia 1.4mpi, so in case its of help to anyone else, I came across this useful diagram:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/drive_unit/1.0/37;_1.4/44;_1.4/50_kw_mpi_engine/mixture_preparation_system_electronic_inj.gas/fuel_injection_system/overview_of_fitting_locations/

showing the G28 at location 7.

That's useful, forgot that the MPI is an ancient engine with a block casting from the dawn of time which is why the G28 is on the bellhousing instead.

• 3 weeks later...

just to close out the thread, I've swapped out the G28 sensor (with a NEW one!) and everything seems fine. The part number was 47906433, it's a bit awkward to get at but at least it's accessible from above and relatively straightforward even for a novice like me!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/06/2014 at 10:35, Thisday said:

I'm on mobile so can't see your car. It its the vrs its at the front behind the oil cooler (under the oil filter).

You need to take the cooler off to access and a multipoint socket (sorry can't remember the name, though I do have a pic I can post if needed) to undo the bolt, I think a deep/long socket is best.

Hi can you put up a pic where crankshaft sensor position is on mark 2 Octavia if possible I can't find it for the life of me

On 04/03/2017 at 16:39, Gerd1916 said:

Hi can you put up a pic where crankshaft sensor position is on mark 2 Octavia if possible I can't find it for the life of me

Sorry, I only know it for the mk1 Fabia vrs

On 11/06/2014 at 13:59, sepulchrave said:

That's useful, forgot that the MPI is an ancient engine with a block casting from the dawn of time which is why the G28 is on the bellhousing instead.

Not quite.. the block was a completely new design for the 1.4 engine.. the head however !!! 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2017 at 21:17, Thisday said:

Sorry, I only know it for the mk1 Fabia vrs

Hey I finally replaced crankshaft sensor after hours of being twisted like a pretzel, but still have EPC and check engine light, also RPM hardly moves, any other advice or help PLEASSSEEEE

• 2 years later...