Space saver spare wheel weight/size

Picked up the new car yesterday. I had specced a space saver spare but it came fitted with a full size one.

My thinking was:-

Have only had to change a wheel a handful of times over the years.

Big savings in weight and space with the reduced version.

Worst case scenario is if you are on holiday and can't get to a tyre shop for a couple of days. Reckoned I could live with that risk.

The dealer says he will change it for me but before I decide does anyone know what the difference in size and most importantly weight is?

I  know many will prefer to have the full wheel as a spare but does anyone have any firm arguments for it, or is it purely just personal preference?

I have a full size spare, as I did with my first Octy, and in fact I was going to take the old one out but forgot.

I would stick with the full size. It might weigh a bit more, but IF you get a puncture, on a space saver you have to lower your speed and it is only limited mileage.

Would always spec one of them as I hate the gunk.

Keep what you have. surely it cant cost that much extra in fuel.

on a space saver you have to lower your speed and it is only limited mileage..

Even with a "full size spare" the same applies if it's a different size to the other wheels.

• Like 1

My space saver wheel is a 16" wheel, the same size as one of my winter wheels and tyres - space saver? - and the same overall size as my 17" wheels.

• Like 1

My car came with 18" Golus alloys from the factory, and 205/55R16 spare. This is classed as a space saver as it is a different size, so the same limitations on maximum speed apply as one of those horrible Citroen 2CV wheels you see on some cars as a spare. I would rather wait for a recovery truck than drive with one of those on!

• Like 1

My space saver wheel is a 16" wheel, the same size as one of my winter wheels and tyres - space saver? - and the same overall size as my 17" wheels.

Same here. I speced a space saver but have a 16" when the other 4 are 17". Was told thats standard now by Skoda. Better than the usual mountain bike tyre spare.

• Like 1

So it would appear that the space saver offers only marginal, if any, savings over the standard wheel.

I was just keen on it since my old Mondeo spare was approx 2/3 the width of the other wheels and a good bit lighter, so I thought the Skoda would be similar. I'll chat with the dealer again then decide. 

Personally I hate space savers as I feel the weight saving is small but the possible inconvenience very large. I have a vrs but sorted my own full size spare so if it is needed I can continue any journey at full speed and leave the repair of the damaged tyre until it is convenient. Most of my mileage is long journeys so this is important to me, I can see it is less important if most mileage is around town and day time. Those that tow will also want a full size spare more.

Since you now have the full size spare don't forget you have a brand new tyre they can be swapped to a road rim and used in the future as your others need replacing, that must make it worth ~£70.

Does anyone have a space saver wheel they could measure and post the width up?

I'm still keen on it. Living in Ireland journeys tend to be shorter than the uk - also if the space saver would free up some boot space then that would be very handy.

I was told by the dealer I couldn't have a full variable boot floor when I ordered the car (long story discussed elsewhere) so if I went for the smaller spare this could hopefully be a halfway house for storing rarely used bits and pieces.