iPhone won't charge

Must be doing something wrong but my iPhone won't charge through a USB charger plugged into cig lighter. I use this in a mini countryman all the time but it won't work in the superb. Music plays through Bluetooth etc but the phone won't charge. Anybody help with this. Am I missing something obvious.

Tried two USB chargers and all three power points in the car. I am using a genuine lightning cable but no charge. I read on the web the phone needs more than 500 Ma does anyone no if this is correct.

500 Ma should be ok but I'm not an expert now. I use a USB in that socket and it charges my iPhone 5 ok. I can get it fully charged in about an hour in the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly a shorted socket, easily done if something metallic falls in. If so the fuse will have blown so suggest checking it (which one it is should be in the manual).

Dunno about your iPhone but my iPad needs about 1.25A to start charging, so I got 2.1A Scosche chargers off Amazon and charging isn't a problem any more.

Does your phone charge at home? If it doesn't then check the socket on your phone for fluff. Yes fluff. Mine stopped charging and fluff was stopping the plug going in properly.

• Like 1

Does your phone charge at home? If it doesn't then check the socket on your phone for fluff. Yes fluff. Mine stopped charging and fluff was stopping the plug going in properly.

Is that belly button fluff! He, he, he, he, sorry no emnicons or what ever they are called.

iPhone 4s no problem charging on the standard cable that came with phone attached to an EBay socket cable. Have you checked the fuse in the charging cable?

iPhone 4s no problem charging on the standard cable that came with phone attached to an EBay socket cable. Have you checked the fuse in the charging cable?

Not sure about iPhones tbh, I know my BB Playbook wouldn't USB charge in any car I used it in, only way was a normal ciggy lighter port with a proper BB car charger, it does sound like the same issue as usb isn't a high power interface.

Take your point Superbia but most the chargers I have around the house are USB cables attached to a power plug with USB fitting. It is these cables I use with a cheapo car ciggy lighter socket. Mind you after watching Watchdog last week I not sure I will be buying any cheapo chargers for use with mains power.

• Like 1

I've used some of the cheaper car chargers before and any phone I've used them with has died within 12 months, usually from overheating which damages the charge points on the phone. Always worth spending that little extra especially with the iPhones as I often suspect that they are designed to start failing if you start to use non Apple chargers!

Does not have a lighter only a plastic plug.

Best to check for power with a test light/meter/other charger. before trying anything else.  

I have tried the cable in the house and it works ok. I am going to buy a more expensive cig lighter charger and see if that fixes the problem.

I know, mine does but in the car, it seems to play up sometimes. Try what i said in the car and see if it works. :thumbup:

Take your point Superbia but most the chargers I have around the house are USB cables attached to a power plug with USB fitting. It is these cables I use with a cheapo car ciggy lighter socket. Mind you after watching Watchdog last week I not sure I will be buying any cheapo chargers for use with mains power.

Try this,

plug it into a usb port on the PC, if it charges it could be the car at fault, if it doesn't it's the usb format itself, there is a lot of info on how weak a usb port is anyway knocking around the web, hth.

Tried cable in PC works fine. Tried swapping the cable and turning over lightning connector. makes no difference. I will try a new usb charger in car. If that does not work I will be back to the dealers to see if there ia a problem somewhere.

All a waste of time messing with chargers and cables until you know that you have power in the sockets . Try plug in something else to see if it works .

All a waste of time messing with chargers and cables until you know that you have power in the sockets . Try plug in something else to see if it works .

All a waste of time to keep on posting about checking if he has power, as he clearly states earlier in the thread that he has. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I did think that iphones need to pull 1A to "comfortably" charge, and the ipad 2.1A.  I ended up getting a 2.1A Belkin one for the rear passenger socket, and an unbranded one that is rated at 1A for the front socket.  

Reason I got two was because I wanted to be able to slide the ash-tray cover over the front one (which is the perfect size for my BB Bold, btw), and the only low profile charger I could find was max 1A rated.  I also bought a retractable USB to micro-USB connector for my BB, so that I didn't have wires all strewn about the place.

Linkys if you need them:

2.1A: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00436GBSC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1A: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HRU7F2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-microUSB: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027I6MB4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1