Stop Start, probably another silly question :-)

Hmm. That's a bit silly then - the power steering still works on my 1 Series when Start/Stop turns the engine off... apologies, assumed it would be the same for all cars as the ignition is still on.

Why's it silly? If the engine isn't running what the use of steering?

Again no, the power steering doesn't work when the engine is stopped by SS, try it, as soon as you try to turn the wheel the engine starts.

just tested on mine to restart the SS by turning the wheel and it's not possible to turn without a lot of force. I didn't want to force it any more.

I've tried it on my 1 series this morning - out of 3 times, twice the power steering still worked, the other time as soon as I tried turning the wheel I felt it wasn't on, but the engine fired back up immediately...

Make of that what you will!

How does the electromechanical assistance work on the octy steering?  With old fashioned hydraulic assistance the pump ran on a belt from the engine but I've no idea how the octy works.

No it won't, it would be the fault of the car that hit you.

Hmmm... has this one changed recently ? Multi-car shunt used to get what was called a "knock for knock" arrangement where everybody sued the car that hit them for their own costs plus anything they'd been sued for. A confusing arrangement that meant all but the front car lost their no claims and had an "at fault accident" on their insurance history.

A double win for the insurance companies really, 1 set of damage, multiple sets of Fn stupid paperwork and maximum income for the future. So when did this one change then Neil ?

just tested on mine to restart the SS by turning the wheel and it's not possible to turn without a lot of force. I didn't want to force it any more.

It will start, turning the steering isn't forcing anything.

No it won't, it would be the fault of the car that hit you.

Hmmm... has this one changed recently ? Multi-car shunt used to get what was called a "knock for knock" arrangement where everybody sued the car that hit them for their own costs plus anything they'd been sued for. A confusing arrangement that meant all but the front car lost their no claims and had an "at fault accident" on their insurance history.

A double win for the insurance companies really, 1 set of damage, multiple sets of Fn stupid paperwork and maximum income for the future. So when did this one change then Neil ?

Evening all

The way I see it about the Stop/Start is if the car is out of gear and you release the clutch the engine will stop and when you depress the clutch again the engine starts. I tend not to put the handbrake on due to the fact I like the Hill Hold Control and I've finally got used to it lol. The only time I've noticed the S/S not to work is if I have the Auto Climate on :sweat: , works fine with just the A/C though.

One question I've meaning to ask about is whether the S/S uses more fuel than just leaving the engine running?

Mark

I'm puzzled why having DSG means you don't use the handbrake.  The driver behind doesn't care whether your car is DSG or manual your brake lights will still cause unnecessary dazzle.  Note: I also have DSG and always use the handbrake if going to be stationary for more than a few seconds.

The driver sat behind me complaining about my "dazzling" brake lights, is probably sat in their car with their front and rear fog lights on, as they have forgotten to switch them off since it was slightly misty 3 weeks ago....so not a problem for me, and watching when stopped at the lights or even on the motorway, I don't think it's much of a problem for many drivers.

But for me, my SS has worked every time for the 4000 miles since I got the car, I only get the message about SS not being available if I have only just started a journey and the AC is still trying to cool the car down.

Edited by Miz
  • Like 1

Hi, slightly off topic but does the SS use the starter motor of the alternator (acting as a motor) and the belt to start the engine.

The reason I ask is that on a 55 plate Citroen C3 with SS, they had got rid of the starter motor, the solenoid and the thick/heavy copper leads and just used extra, higher voltage & thinner windings in the alternator to turn it into a motor. The electronics upped the 12 v DC to 120V ac when the start was required.

The start was therefore quiet and because the current drawn from the battery was only 1/10th of the current needed by the older type of starter motor, the battery did not suffer from frequent "high current" demands.