Windscreen replacement - be careful!

So, my VRS TSI got hit badly by a rather large stone on the windscreen just over a week ago and the result was a huge crack.

New windscreen needed and only the genuine one was around so I was pleased my £60 excess was going on a genuine replacement.

National Windscreens the only ones that could do next day, the others quoted 7-10 days.

My car was in having drivers seat replaced under warranty so National replaced the windscreen at the Skoda dealers.

When I collected the car later in the day, I noticed the rain sensor had dropped down a few mm's and the following morning the rear view mirror was hanging down with loads of other wires!

National tried to rectify and in the process broke the black plastic surround that holds all the wires in place, they've agreed to pay for this, however that part is on back order!!!

National also unplugged the lane assist camera while fitting the new windscreen and whilst it worked for a few days after having the new screen fitted, it now says lane assist disabled/not available.

So on Friday, National are sorting out the rain sensor with the proper Skoda gel pad and Skoda are going to try and fix the lane assist.

Skoda think that because the camera was unplugged, they might have to reprogram the car to let it know I have that option, does that sound right, especially noting that it did work for a short while after fitting???

So if you need a new windscreen, make sure they don't disconnect anything as it is very likely it won't work and will need to be reprogrammed.

On a lighter note, on my journey from Bournemouth to Brighton and then up to Crawley and back to Bournemouth, the car achieved 48.7mpg!!!! Yep, you read it right, 48.7mpg lout of the TSI DSG,....

Thanks for the heads up, but one other thing - do you guys talk about Imperial MPG or the other MPG. It seems those numbers are different, so...

And you are filling up in liters, why on earth aren't you guys talking L / 100km? :D Weird stuff.

Edited by conn

Thanks for the heads up, but one other thing - do you guys talk about Imperial MPG or the other MPG. It seems those numbers are different, so...

And you are filling up in liters, why on earth aren't you guys talking L / 100km? :D Weird stuff.

Imperial MPG in the UK, also the use of MPG in the UK is mostly historical thing, we do fill up in litres :)

I doubt the car has "fogotten" that it has lane assist.

More likely they have disturbed the wiring and the car has detected a problem "talking" to the camera so it's tripped it out and disabled it.

Hope they get it back good as new soon.

Phil

• Like 1

Imperial MPG in the UK, also the use of MPG in the UK is mostly historical thing, we do fill up in litres :)

We do fill up in litres, only because we were forced to change...

Mainly because we measure distance and speed in Miles and not Kilometers.

So, my VRS TSI got hit badly by a rather large stone on the windscreen just over a week ago and the result was a huge crack.

New windscreen needed and only the genuine one was around so I was pleased my £60 excess was going on a genuine replacement.

National Windscreens the only ones that could do next day, the others quoted 7-10 days.

My car was in having drivers seat replaced under warranty so National replaced the windscreen at the Skoda dealers.

When I collected the car later in the day, I noticed the rain sensor had dropped down a few mm's and the following morning the rear view mirror was hanging down with loads of other wires!

National tried to rectify and in the process broke the black plastic surround that holds all the wires in place, they've agreed to pay for this, however that part is on back order!!!

National also unplugged the lane assist camera while fitting the new windscreen and whilst it worked for a few days after having the new screen fitted, it now says lane assist disabled/not available.

So on Friday, National are sorting out the rain sensor with the proper Skoda gel pad and Skoda are going to try and fix the lane assist.

Skoda think that because the camera was unplugged, they might have to reprogram the car to let it know I have that option, does that sound right, especially noting that it did work for a short while after fitting???

So if you need a new windscreen, make sure they don't disconnect anything as it is very likely it won't work and will need to be reprogrammed.

On a lighter note, on my journey from Bournemouth to Brighton and then up to Crawley and back to Bournemouth, the car achieved 48.7mpg!!!! Yep, you read it right, 48.7mpg lout of the TSI DSG,....

The last screen I had was done on my Superb was at my dealer mainly due to the massive excess with it being a company car.

Autowindscreen were talking at over £500 for a non genuine screen and it would take a week to get one.

The dealer part was £175 plus £50 to get a fitter to do it on site, so a genuine screen fitted within 2 days and no claim to declare.

I know they say that a glass claim wont affect your NCD but it still gets logged as a claim.

Latest update.

Original screen fitted over a week ago and now having to be removed and fitted with yet another screen as the black unit that the sensors attached to (comes with the new screen) aren't flush with the screen and causing problems.

Now for the 'Be Warned bit',...

If you have lane assist, when the windscreen is removed, the camera has to be disconnected as some of the wiring for it comes with the new screen. The camera will work for a few days, however the camera will be deactivated by the car at some stage and will need to be recalibrated as the camera is calibrated at factory to the direction of the tyres etc by a very expensive piece of sensory based equipment.

The cost of recalibration is £357 inc VAT (verified by Skoda UK) and at the moment, Skoda don't have any dealers with the tech to recalibrate the camera!!! The only dealers with the tech are Audi main dealers.

I have advised National windscreens that I will only be paying my excess as the total cost of replacing my screen should include any work that is necessary to return it to original working condition, including the camera.

So, if you have lane assist, make sure that as part of the screen being replaced, you have your camera calibration checked and reprogrammed.

Skoda, I love my car, however bad show on the fact that none of your dealers have the tech to re program the cameras yet, especially as this tech is likely to feature on all your cars in the future!!!

Why do they need to recalibrate the camera? My Volvo has collision detection and has had 5 screens (windscreen company stuff ups and poor quality screens). One screen had a bad bracket so the system disabled itself but once fitted to a screen with the correct bracket, it was fine. Surely it should be the same for the Skoda system?

The camera will work for a few days, however the camera will be deactivated by the car at some stage and will need to be recalibrated as the camera is calibrated at factory to the direction of the tyres etc by a very expensive piece of sensory based equipment.

How does this work when you have the tyres changed or wheel alignment done?

• Like 1

Why do they need to recalibrate the camera? My Volvo has collision detection and has had 5 screens (windscreen company stuff ups and poor quality screens). One screen had a bad bracket so the system disabled itself but once fitted to a screen with the correct bracket, it was fine. Surely it should be the same for the Skoda system?

Only if the Skoda is a Volvo..

• Like 2

Yes when a screen is replaced the camera needs to be calibrated. The reason skoda dealers don't have the kit is its around £3500 for a white board with dots on it. We use out local audi dealer to do any we have

• Like 1

Only if the Skoda is a Volvo..

Given its just a camera and it points forward the same as the Volvo why would it need calibrating? Its not like the camera will be facing a different direction with a new screen. Surely the camera isn't powered all the time so unplugging it wouldn't make a difference. Having recalibration after every new screen just sounds wrong. If it does need doing every time vag have made a real hash of things, surely not.

Yeah it does seem mad.

It's like if you unplug an airbag. As long as you don't turn the ignition on you don't get the warning light and need to clear it.

Surely it should be the same with the camera. As long as the ignition isn't switched on why would the car ever even know it was ever unplugged!?

Phil

The camera steers the car via lane assist.  If the new one is put in with say, more glue on the left hand side, then it will be pointing in the wrong direction and try to steer you into a ditch or another car.  This is why the recalibration is needed but its very poor for the dealerships to still not have any boards to do it!

SWMBOs windscreen was replaced outside our house by Autoglass and we've had no problems whatsoever. No reports of lane assist misbehaving and there are no faults logged with a VCDS scan. I've driven it and it keeps the car straight as a die on the road.

SWMBOs windscreen was replaced outside our house by Autoglass and we've had no problems whatsoever. No reports of lane assist misbehaving and there are no faults logged with a VCDS scan. I've driven it and it keeps the car straight as a die on the road.

Like I said in my original post, National unplugged the lane assist camera during the process so maybe that was the problem, either way Skoda still recommend a recalibration when a screen is replaced even though none of their dealers have the equipment.

All I can say is that my experience hasn't been great at all and it definitely broke my lane assist, however all now fixed!!

I recall the man from Autoglass making several phone calls whilst doing the screen change, and we had to wait about 10 days for the correct screen - apparently direct from the factory as there weren't any in the UK (this was last October). I don't remember what was or wasn't unplugged. No doubt if I ask a dealer about this I will be fobbed off with some sort of excuse.