Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

Hi John

You are absolutely correct, the centre of the tyre is quite slick which makes it quick and quiet on road but it does have 'knobbly' bits on the shoulder of the tyre.

This I assumed would give me some sort of traction on rougher stuff, it seems I was wrong! I might look into some new tyres if I start doing more off roady stuff.

The side-knobs are more for cornering than anything (probably on slightly loose surfaces), as they won't actually contact the ground until you've got the bike leaned over. 

Just spent a few days in Scotland, enjoying the mud, riding some awesome trails (some of which were fairly scary!) on the MTB.

Came home on Friday, last Saturday was Innerliethen where we did the XC in the morning, and DH in the afternoon:

1795611_10204227633749600_51624929106059

Sunday was Glentress - did the red and one of the EWS descents, which was awesome.

Monday was Comrie Croft and Dunkeld - comrie croft is fun and short, dunkeld DH track is steep and WILD:

10427311_10204227645709899_2797968476451

(not me)

Tuesday was Dunkeld again, this time some more enduro trails, still pretty steep and wild!:

10620509_10204227647349940_6229556965911

(not me)

Wednesday was Laggan - lots of fun and good tech:

10612553_10153064424445715_5723405031441

(me)

And yesterday was fort bill - I rode the red once and the WC track three times - it's so brutal!

10600472_10204227667590446_5239533128044

10616682_10153064425495715_7820204189108

• Like 1

Yes, sure Matt!

No specific course map exists though, but I'm sure you can figure it out if you know the area

http://www.undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

We park/sign-on, on the playing fields next to 'The Waggon & Horses'

This is the route-page of the website; http://www.undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/2012/03/the-trunce-route/

The course record is about 23:30, but my PB is 31:04

Sadly, this year, due to injury (& lack of fitness) my best is 33:08

You fancying having a go????? :angel: 

'Trunce' 8 (out of 9) earlier this evening

Very low river, even managed to run most of the two hills - on the bits where I normally have to walk ('quarry steps', & 'no pain - no gain' hill)!, but still a poor run

Official results are out; 72/234 @ 33:19

I think we turned out 15 club members!!

Edited by Richard A Thackeray

Matt, did you go??

Some photos, from Monday

Taken at the first 'Don crossing', & the top of the climb back from 'Don crossing 3' (first half of course, in reverse)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/sets/72157646216170428/

What do you all think of this? It is only aimed at specifically urban cycling not general use. 

To me it seems a bit bulky and would be a pain in summer having it on. I do like seeing new ideas though and there is logic behind it. 

I think it's an interesting idea technologically but I don't think it's particularly feasible for its intended purpose, it seems to hinge entirely on the fact that the only reason people don't wear helmets is because they find them uncomfortable but I think there's a lot more reasons to it than that, I think the price would immediately put this idea completely out of consideration for most people.  I don't actually find modern helmets uncomfortable at all and don't mind wearing one, I also know it will function correctly in any impact as well as protecting me against smaller impacts (such as cycling under a branch and that hitting the helmet). There's also the further advantages of being able to mount lights or a camera to the helmet.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, did you go??

Some photos, from Monday

Taken at the first 'Don crossing', & the top of the climb back from 'Don crossing 3' (first half of course, in reverse)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/sets/72157646216170428/

Richard,

I didn't get down to it, we ended up walking in the opposite direction with the dog.

Have you seen this http://www.bikechallenge.co.uk ?, it starts and finishes in Hade Edge, It looks like a very tough route for a cx bike, a little more suited to a hardtail mtb.

I've signed up for the long route

I know the bits around Holme Moss, as I've driven them in my Land Rovers over the years (Ramsdem Road, etc...)

I reckon you could get round on a cross-bike, as it may not be as low-geared, but generally lighter, so will be able to climb ( you'd just need to 'ride light', to avoid wheel damage)

Co-incidentally, there's still the cross-bike hanging up in my garage................

As for the 'Trunce', race 8 (the one you were going to come to) pictures here; https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/sets/72157646216170428/

Last one of the year is, on Monday 8th Sept @ 18;45 (fancy dress too.... but optional...)

My winter beast has finally arrived :)

DSC_9595-XL.jpg

I was amused at the picture earlier on after a CX race as it was exactly the same on my bike after a CX race up here, even though it was dry the drivetrain was completely tangled up with mud which took a while to sort.  It was the first time they'd run the race up here and was unsure whether to enter with my FS 29er but as it was only five minutes from the house and I wasn't going to be in any way competitive I gave it a go anyway and had a good laugh.  It was quite a steep course which favoured the CX bikes on the uphill and obstacles but on the downhill the mountain bikes had the advantage which meant for a good mix of riders, I spoke to the organisers to see if they're doing it again this year and they're hoping to do four different races which sounds good.  Would love to turn up with the fat bike if it was going to be particularly wet and muddy ;)

John

I'm just getting back into biking. I have a Specilized Carve Comp 29er and a Carrera road bike. I want to fit flat bars on the road bike though as it hurts my back too much on the standard bars.

Did Dalby red route yesterday and Sherwood Pines red route today. I go to sherwood alot as its easy.

537A34D4-74C6-4AF8-8C4D-8E4CCDBF1599_zps

Ahh nice to see a big bike on here. looks well specced, those things had pretty strange geometry though. Still, should do you as a re-entry before you decide to spend some proper money ;)

Kinda wish I had a downhill bike again...

Did the Pedal for Scotland sportive today. My first +100mile ride

nura2anu.jpg

Went pretty well despite the climbing, knackered now.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Well done, impressive stuff. Think you'll be knackered for a fortnight after that! Lot of miles and a lot of climbs there. :thumbup:

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Looking at (what seem to be last years) results, a friend of mine was 22nd in the (long) ride last year; Nick Georgiou
I know he said he was riding this year too

I take it that's the Meal Hill, near Jackson Bridge (leads into Scaley Gate??), it used to be a real struggle to get the Landies up it, as they were all on totally standard suspension, due to the washout, on the hairpin

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2755477

Let me know when this years results are out (can't see a link on the site)

By The Way;

It's the last Trunce of the series (9th/9) this evening, I hope to get there

I've managed to get to 7 out of 8 rounds, so far

Vest number '2497' 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/13881523155/in/set-72157644009511884

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Looking at (what seem to be last years) results, a friend of mine was 22nd in the (long) ride last year; Nick Georgiou

I know he said he was riding this year too

I take it that's the Meal Hill, near Jackson Bridge (leads into Scaley Gate??), it used to be a real struggle to get the Landies up it, as they were all on totally standard suspension, due to the washout, on the hairpin

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2755477

Let me know when this years results are out (can't see a link on the site)

By The Way;

It's the last Trunce of the series (9th/9) this evening, I hope to get there

I've managed to get to 7 out of 8 rounds, so far

Vest number '2497' 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/13881523155/in/set-72157644009511884

Richard,

The results are supposed to be online by the 11th september.

Yes, Meal Hill leads upto Scaley Gate (technically where the picture was taken), I did that whole decent at an average of 13mph and a max of 30mph :)

I loved it, I cycled the route earlier in the week on my CX bike and did the actual day on my MTB, as I was curious to see the time differences on certain sections of the route, the one thing I didn't count on, was how much extra drag an MTB has on the road & I ended up being 3min slower overall on the MTB than I did on the CX.

There was plenty of accidents, mainly in the old quarry (1st picture), people trying to fly through the water then hit a large rock and somersault :) , at least they had a soft landing

I recommend these rides to anyone. This one was organised by 1st Holme Valley Scout Group & they did a fantastic job, there were 3 or 4 rest stops with drinks/food at during the ride, mountian rescue were also on hand (if needed).

There was such a wide range of ages/abilities doing the 3 different routes 15miles/20miles/33miles, IMO cycling is about enjoying it & it doesn't matter how you get around the route so long as you enjoy it.

I can't wait until next year todo it again and try and beat this years time :)

• Like 1

no way I'd be staying upright on that while clipped in, I can barely stay upright on tarmac sometimes.... looks fun though

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Yup, here here. Just got clip in pedals last week. Fell off twice on first ride :thumbdown:  Ahh, ahh me knee etc. Couldn't get out and didn't realise you could adjust the fit in the pedals, D'oh!

Now sorted but stil a bit scared at the end of roads and confidence is slowly building. There is a big difference in power transfer though which is addictive.

NO way I'd be clipped in on that course mind. Respect :thumbup:

Edited by Stinker