Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

Cracking effort with the elivation too. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, previous longest ride was under 60 miles (and about 4000 feet elevation), at 80 miles or so I was beginning to think I'd attempted too much but the couple of guys I was riding with gave me plenty of encouragement right til the end.

• Like 1

I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread but didn't see a response, if anyone is interested I have created a Strava Club for Briskoda Members http://www.strava.com/clubs/briskoda .

It could be a good place to start arranging some Brisky rides/group buys/advise etc etc.

It's worth noting, this is independent of and has no affiliation with Briskoda.net or Summit 360.

Its a good feeling to achieve it isnt it. I fell off last week after my 100, so i need to build back upto it.

e35bda5c99f02e2942d93fc9a2d4cfda.jpgeaed7e1a537f64c71b07a1ab662c0f1a.jpg

Going back for another xray on weds to see how danaged the wrust is sfter swelling has gone down.

I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread but didn't see a response, if anyone is interested I have created a Strava Club for Briskoda Members http://www.strava.com/clubs/briskoda .

It could be a good place to start arranging some Brisky rides/group buys/advise etc etc.

It's worth noting, this is independent of and has no affiliation with Briskoda.net or Summit 360.

Request to join sent :)

• Like 1

Its a good feeling to achieve it isnt it. I fell off last week after my 100, so i need to build back upto it.

Going back for another xray on weds to see how danaged the wrust is sfter swelling has gone down.

Ouch, I came off earlier this year (on my first ride of the year which was also the first time I'd been on the bike since before my youngest was born in September). Kept me off the bike for a couple of weeks, swollen hand (nothing broken), sore shoulder where i was brought to a halt by someones wheelie bin and some nice road rash for me...

post-50337-0-82146400-1465810032_thumb.jpg

Ive got my 215 mile coast to coast on the 23rd. Not looking likely at this rate, its over 4 days averaging about 55 miles a day. So if i cant make it with the arranged group/holtelsetc im planning to do it on my own in 2 days. Which will be 2x 100ish miles rides with alot of elivation.

Ouch, I hope the x-ray goes ok although that looks very painful.  I managed to sprain my wrist falling on the MTB three weeks before a duathlon and you realise how much you use your arms when it hurts to use the wrist or stiff to rotate it, I thought I was going to have to do the cycle bit one handed on my nice soft full suspension bike.

This was one of my better ones and better yet I did it at the start of a brutal 24 hour event on a rigid bike:

Also managed to christen the new plus bike when I completely mucked up a series of drop offs, I'm rubbish at technical riding but was thinking let the bike roll a bit not realising the second drop off was sooner and steeper than I realised so the bike was almost immediately out of control, shot down a grassy drop which I thought would be a soft landing but it bounced hard when it hit the ditch and flicked upside down.  As with previous crashes I was pretty lucky and mostly got away with it aside from where the shifters went into my knees (I really need to dig out my knee pads) and the pedal went through my shin.

My friend was amused at my helmet and wanted to take a picture of it but I couldn't think why, took it of and realised it had picked up a memento when going through the grass:

20160605_141749-L.jpg

On the plus side, the weather has been ridiculously good here and almost feels like being abroad with the bright blue skies and bone dry trails:

20160605_123801-L.jpg

20160605_132028-L.jpg

Hey nice, a cyclists thread.  I was looking for this on the site a few days ago!

Predominately, I’m a runner but enjoy being an out and out roadie when I get the chance.  I have 3 bikes, one for commuting (Planet X London Road) one for sportives and club rides (Forme Axe Edge Pro) and for carrying daughter my long serving mountain bike (Dawes Kickback, circa 1995 when I bought it...!!)

post-141571-0-54440600-1466154494_thumb.jpg

post-141571-0-74519300-1466154499_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't been on here in ages and i thought those pictures you posted looked familiar. Noticed them on some other forums! 

Are you on MSE as well? Avatar looks familiar to a guy on there that's an expert on headlight bulbs.  :p

Couple of pics to share as not been on in a while.

My trusty GT Avalanche 1.0 after a service and clean

13062140_10154013708567368_5656243547379

And my new addition to the family out on it's maiden voyage, although i seem to have buckled the rear wheel a little.

13321824_10154095978307368_6844575513627

Edited by Hardcore
  • Like 1

Are you on MSE as well? Avatar looks familiar to a guy on there that's an expert on headlight bulbs.  :p

Occasionally, will be the same Avatar but it's not me talking about lightbulbs. There are a few 'Beakers' on the interwebs.

I picked up the Trail Gator yesterday, no way I'd pay £70 for it but £30 is worth a punt. Going to try to get the wee man out on a little run this weekend and get his confidence up on two wheels.

I haven't been on here in ages and i thought those pictures you posted looked familiar. Noticed them on some other forums! 

Ha, I was thinking that Ghost bike looked familiar!

John

Can i ask.. from a motoring point of view. I know theres a lot of tension between motorists and road cyclists, but here goes, in the nicest possible way. 

Whats the score with riding side by side? 

I say this because, i was just about to overtake 2 cyclists the other day in the car, when the back cyclist just pulled out infront of me without looking to just ride alongside the cyclist infront. It did bug me... but i've been told that thats how they've been told to ride? :S who by? and why? haha. 

He just wasnt paying attention i dont think... nearly got a slam up the bum by a Skoda hahaa

The Highway Code says that you must not cycle more than two abreast, i.e. two is ok and perfectly legal.

Depending on the road it can be safer, as it makes drivers give you a wider berth. If you ride single file in the gutter it invites cars to squeeze past with inches to spare.

That said when I'm in a group we will go side by side on a quiet road so we can chat, and move back when a car comes. Like any manoeuvre, cyclists should check it's safe before moving out but some forget.

• Like 1

The Highway Code says that you must not cycle more than two abreast, i.e. two is ok and perfectly legal.

Depending on the road it can be safer, as it makes drivers give you a wider berth. If you ride single file in the gutter it invites cars to squeeze past with inches to spare.

That said when I'm in a group we will go side by side on a quiet road so we can chat, and move back when a car comes. Like any manoeuvre, cyclists should check it's safe before moving out but some forget.

Even if you can pretty much fill a B roads width with 2 generously spaced cyclists? :D

This was on quite a narrow bendy A road (the A6 coming out of buxton, if anyone knows it). I'm sure he must of known i was there and was accelerating to take. I did give him some horn as i stood on the brakes so not to hit him. But just got abuse, fingers, called a ****er and what not. Wasnt happy with him and did fancy a word, but thought better of it n carried on. 

I know cars can take the pee, as i've ridden slow motorbikes years ago and know car drivers like to push past and push you into the edge. 

Just wondered how it stood with the 'law' as such

I've come across 2 abreast and about 30 rows here in the peak district. How they expect people to get safely past, im not sure :S. 

If you're overtaking cyclists properly and leaving sufficient space, then 2 abreast should actually be easier to overtake

both.bmp

The amount of drivers out there too lazy to use the other side of the road when it's available to overtake safely is unreal. Had few close encounters with wing mirrors with drivers who seem to pass as close as they can even when the other lane is clear just to prove a point. Half tempted to give their car a wee kick sometimes.

After all, all it would take is me giving a slight swerve to avoid a pothole whilst being in my lane and i'd end up under their wheels.

If the road isn't wide enough for 2 cyclists to cycle side by side and for cars to overtake as well then they should cycle in single file but there's not many roads like that.

If you're overtaking cyclists properly and leaving sufficient space, then 2 abreast should actually be easier to overtake

both.bmp

The amount of drivers out there too lazy to use the other side of the road when it's available to overtake safely is unreal. Had few close encounters with wing mirrors with drivers who seem to pass as close as they can even when the other lane is clear just to prove a point. Half tempted to give their car a wee kick sometimes.

After all, all it would take is me giving a slight swerve to avoid a pothole whilst being in my lane and i'd end up under their wheels.

If the road isn't wide enough for 2 cyclists to cycle side by side and for cars to overtake as well then they should cycle in single file but there's not many roads like that.

But the roads are very bendy around here and barely wide enough to get past if theyre 2 abreast!

It would be better if they were inline, with a sufficient gap between them.

If the road is 2 lanes you should be using the other lane to pass them whether it's bendy or not.

Just pretend they're a tractor in those scenarios.

This is the point. Sometimes it is not 2 lanes. If a car comes the other way, you have to find a gateway to get into.

Yet they still ride side by side around here at about 5mph. Its impossible to get past in a car sometimes without upsetting anybody.

5mph is only just above walking pace. I expect they are a lot quicker

Seems like 5mph in a 60 limit on the uphill sections, but where you'd realistically be doing 40 or so in a car.

Edited by fabiamk2SE