Test Drove this Today...

Hi All,

Been away from Skodas for about 5 years now. Test drove this today however:

IMG_2772_1.jpg

The DSG took a little getting used to but really enjoyed the experience in the end.

Could anyone share their experiences? I had a MK1 vRS before and absolutely loved it. Anyone else had both to give me a comparison??

Could anyone share their experiences? I had a MK1 vRS before and absolutely loved it. Anyone else had both to give me a comparison??

If you like the driving experience of the linear power delivery (compared to the peaky mk1, which made it feel quicker than it was and fun) and DSG box then it's probably your thing.

I really liked my mk1 and still have a thing for the mk1 Fabia VRS.  Still enjoy driving one now.

When I bought a mk2 VRS I thought it was great, but over 4 days did 400 miles and that was enough.  It just felt more boring the more I drove it because it's all just a bit too easy in the speed department and the rest of the car isn't of the same standard.

It's certainly quicker than the mk1, but it's less involving to drive.

Unless you like playing with the little plastic paddles and get the same satisfaction from that.

I really liked the seats and the fact that having no PD engine meant no steering wheel vibration when stationary.

And that you can get an estate! :)

I really didn't like the cheap air con dials from 1980 right on the top of the dash, the wooly handling as it's quicker than the mk1 and the way it doesn't like holding the gears.  After manual changing it'd go back to auto mode after about 4 or 5 seconds.

However, that is based on what I like in a car, not what you like.

If you get one though for heaven's sake make sure it's got enough warranty on it as they do have a bit of a reputation for faults.  Mostly engine oil related.

Good luck on your decision.

• Like 2

It's a Marmite car that will divide opinions. Bossfox's post raises some good points.

I had a MK1 VRS and loved it. Since I got my MK2 VRS I've not really looked back. The newest MK1's are now 7 years old and for all of the MK2's faults the MK1 VRS had plenty of them too! Leaky doors and chocolate Turbo's to name a few!

If you want a quick little hatchback with a lovely smooth auto box that's comfortable on long distance and a fairly rare sight on the roads, look no further!

Just make sure it has a decent warranty as some do have oil consumption issues. The car pictured has the dark chrome Gigaro's. These are prone to corroding so go over them with a fine tooth comb.

Good luck!

• Like 1

It's a Marmite car that will divide opinions. Bossfox's post raises some good points.

I had a MK1 VRS and loved it. Since I got my MK2 VRS I've not really looked back. The newest MK1's are now 7 years old and for all of the MK2's faults the MK1 VRS had plenty of them too! Leaky doors and chocolate Turbo's to name a few!

Very true, the mk1 also has it's faults.

But I personally believe that because they are things your average DIY mechanic/driver can handle they've never been viewed in the same seriousness.

If you buy a used mk2 vrs without warranty and it turns out to be an oil drinker you really do have a limited number of options, each of which is going to cost quite a bit.

You'd got to be pretty brave to buy an unknown one privately.

That's why I'd buy a mk1 VRS from anywhere, as long as it seemed OK, but I'd be much more critical of where I looked for a mk2 VRS.

I'd want to get it from a Skoda (or respected independent) dealer and make sure if it needed a new engine at any point during my ownership I wouldn't be the one putting my hand in my pocket.

• Like 4

And let's face it if you buy a 2007 mk1 VRS SE in excellent condition with Sub 50 k on the clock. After running for three years you will probably be able to sell for pretty much what you purchased for. Hard to believe but they do seem to be holding value mind bogglingly well !

And by that time Skoda may have actually released something new that you want.

• Like 1

<<After manual changing it'd go back to auto mode after about 4 or 5 seconds.>>

It's worth pointing out that if you move the gear lever (left) into tiptronic mode that the gearbox will stay in the gear you select, at least up until the point it thinks you are either going to stall the motor or blow it up. Then it will shift up or down as appropriate and stay in that gear unless you continue to fail to make the correct decisions.

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

It's worth pointing out that if you move the gear lever (left) into tiptronic mode that the gearbox will stay in the gear you select, at least up until the point it thinks you are either going to stall the motor or blow it up. Then it will shift up or down as appropriate and stay in that gear unless you continue to fail to make the correct decisions.

Correct....in other words this was not a valid criticism.

It's not that comfortable on long journeys though, seats are great and very supportive and better than the mk1 but not enough lumber adjustment for me.

I did absolutely love mine but after some heavy oil and fuel drinking and other issues I changed it.

£60 v-power doing 250 miles per tank in winter was painful.

Comfort must be a personal thing,

because personally i can do 800 miles a day in 2 stints and feel fine and am liable to chose the mk2 vRS to do that in because of the comfort, space, pace & the wonderful DSG and Linear Power Delivery when booting it.

with 50 litres of 99 ron Momentum of a fill up costing £68,

& the economy you get in Cold Weather/Winter with Winter Spec Fuel or non winter,

they will do from 350 - 400 - 450 miles in my experience, it is a location, location, location & speed being done thing really.

So a comfortable nippy 800 miles on long winter runs is just £136

If you use a Twincharger for a 20 mile commute daily in winter where it is not really getting up to temperature and getting about 25-30 mpg it does drink 9 gallons of Shell V-Power Nitro every 250 miles.

(One reason why Taxis are often Diesels, Economy on short & longer runs, once up to heat,

which is why they sit with their noisy engines running, keeping them warm.)

george

• Like 2

My experiences are it is a very fickle car for MPG. The MK1 would do 60MPG all year long and I'd get over 400 miles from a tank easy. The MK2 can get decent MPG on long motorway runs as high as an indicated 50MPG if the conditions are right, but that can shoot down to a miserable 39 if there is a heavy headwind and it is raining heavily.

On average I get 350 miles from £50 of V-Power and that's with some toys on the engine. Not too shabby but I do miss the MK1 low running costs.

I'm 6ft 5 and find it comfortable , but comfort is a personal thing. The suspension is still hard and crashy like the MK1 VRS and the sound insulation and wind noise could be better!

Cheers for that.

Correct....in other words this was not a valid criticism.

This is true.

The smallest of the criticisms I made was incorrect as I'm used to DSG boxes changing to manual mode when you take control, rather than giving your 4/5 seconds in the selected gear before taking over again.

I actually didn't think the mk2 VRS was too bad on fuel, I filled it up and averaged 40mpg.

Which for a 180bhp 1.4 is quite respectable.  I get almost exactly the same in my Fiesta ST which is 100kg lighter, driving in a similar manner.

• Like 2

Not great from the Manual Fiesta then.

I am driving an old Euro 4 Emission 2.0 T Automatic Petrol with 180 bhp ish & getting 40 mpg driving quite quickly,

& it weighs 400 kg more than a Fabia vRS so 500 kg more than the Fiesta.

(VED in Double though)

It is not capable of mid 50's economy driving in a spirited manner.

And let's face it if you buy a 2007 mk1 VRS SE in excellent condition with Sub 50 k on the clock. After running for three years you will probably be able to sell for pretty much what you purchased for. Hard to believe but they do seem to be holding value mind bogglingly well !

And by that time Skoda may have actually released something new that you want.

The mk1 Vrs SE point is valid currently - but will it still be in three years time?

I know the SE's have been stubborn as ox's on their deterioration these past few years, but things could very easily change, leaving you with a ten year old Diesel, that, let's be honest, even if it is limited edition, doesn't match up to the standard of other ten year old diesel cars you can buy for less, BMW's, Merdcedes etc.

Saying all that I hope it never happens as I would love to get similar money back for my SE :)

Back to the original post:

I can't say I have ever driven one or have any experience of one, but a friend of mine blew three engines... All under warranty thank lord. I don't know what he was doing wrong, personally I think he must of been thrashing the nuts off the car, and has since changed for a 1 series, but hey ho.

This may well have been a completely exclusive incident however, I am sure the Op is more conservative with his/her engines :)

In my opinion, I think whacking a turbo and a supercharger onto a 1.4 engine is asking for trouble, pulling 178 pony's out of one is crazy!

As someone mentioned above : the 105 Diesel, is that engine a bit of a notorious oil drinker or is it not too bad? Could a more economical option.

JRJG

By some good judgement & common sense before they were totally vulnerable to financial crisis,

Volkswagen changed the 1390 cc Dualcharged engine in 2012 to the CTHE without admitting the previous failings,

and they have been doing rather well since, & putting out a minimum 180 & 185 ps.

The first CAVE engines from 2009-2012 were a bit of a disaster for the VWG,

and if you get a good one is a lottery.

mk1 7.5 years and only thing that went wrong was the fan speed selecter

mk2 2.5 years and a list as long as your arm :(

having said that, i still love to drive the mk2 much more than i did the mk1 but would i buy another one?? no way, sorry but unless it was free id never have another

Edited by the mad monk

ok, there is always another story... I had a mark 1 for 3 years and 80k.... I had failed console bushes that skoda REFUSED to fix under warrenty, and I had a gearbox failure, and an EGR failure... (that left a pupil stranded on a driving test for Gods sake!) and lots of niggly things too

I have had TWO mark II's and done a combined 74,000 miles in them with ABSOLUTLEY NO ISSUES AT ALL!

there is always another experiance.

I think the mark II is better in every respect , better engine, better handling, better gearbox, better interior, better reliability (YES thats proof in my experiance!) ... I could go on....

just to show the flip side of the coin :p

shark

• Like 3

ok, there is always another story... I had a mark 1 for 3 years and 80k.... I had failed console bushes that skoda REFUSED to fix under warrenty, and I had a gearbox failure, and an EGR failure... (that left a pupil stranded on a driving test for Gods sake!) and lots of niggly things too

I have had TWO mark II's and done a combined 74,000 miles in them with ABSOLUTLEY NO ISSUES AT ALL!

there is always another experiance.

I think the mark II is better in every respect , better engine, better handling, better gearbox, better interior, better reliability (YES thats proof in my experiance!) ... I could go on....

just to show the flip side of the coin :p

Exactly, there will always be good and bad of both.

Some cars that are looked after and some that get ragged.

Here is a post from a mk1 Owner posted a few days ago.

During ownership (130,000 miles) I bought..............

18 tyres.

1 Battery.

1 rear brake caliper (seized).

1 radiator (leaking).

4 front brake disks and pads.

1 rear brake pads.

2 cambelts/pulleys/water pumps.

It's no secret I am not a huge mk2 VRS fan, but I can still see that as a car it's got it's positives.  As my posts on this thread show.

I really depends what you want from the car.

The word "better" is easy to use, but ultimately means little because it depends on your requirements.

Overall is the 1.4 twincharger engine better than the 1.9 PD lump?

I'd actually say no.

As an engine it's more economical and reliable on average.

I feel this is thread is heading towards another MK2 or 1 debate. :-(

Let's try and keep it on track for the OP with people's good and bad experiences with the MK2 Fabia VRS.

My analogy of it being a Marmite car is certainly correct! :-)

• Like 3