Satnav confusion and frustration

OK, test done, original SD card works no problem, other 8Gb card that looks identical in windows gives the same message as in your post #64

I would suggest that your card is at fault, not your system.

I am beginning to suspect it is a card for a MkII Octavia Amundsen in the box for MkIII .........

The part number will reveal all!

OK, test done, original SD card works no problem, other 8Gb card that looks identical in windows gives the same message as in your post #64

I would suggest that your card is at fault, not your system.

Thanks for trying, looks like I'm back into the arms of the local dealer then...

Damn.

OK confused - does that mean different files ?  Closer shot.

20140706_172325.jpg

This is the unit itself, and a rare bit of sunshine in Scotland today...

20140706_142316.jpg

Still can't read what is printed on the card.

I reckon it is the wrong card for the car - best thing to do would be to call a Skoda dealer on Monday with your chassis number and confirm.

The part number I was given last week by Skoda for a card with Europe data is 5E0 051 236 C. The part number can drop the C if no maps are included (ie just a blank card).

5E0 919 866 is a superceded part number (I think). So you may well be right Andy.

Cards with 5E0 919 866 as the part number proliferate on ebay but it is questionable as to whether they will work.

As I (and others) keep advising - get it to the dealer and just say the sat nav doesnt work. No need for any ins and outs - and make sure there is no music on the card when you take it back!

Edited by Minimoke

Card says 5E0 919 866

Navigation SD card Europe  (green bit)

Evropa

Europa

I give in, back to the dealer then. I was hoping to avoid it as any visit there with our previous cars ended up with either disappointment or much money being spent.

Ahh well, thanks anyway.

Donning my deerstalker I perceive that some of the cards with that part number are advertised on ebay as being 2012 cards.  That date implies to me they were never used in (or intended for) the Octy 3. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the Nissan dealer got the car without an SD card and obtained a replacement but used the wrong part number?

Edited by Minimoke

OK confused - does that mean different files ?  Closer shot.

20140706_172325.jpg

This is the unit itself, and a rare bit of sunshine in Scotland today...

20140706_142316.jpg

Just checked my card.

As mentioned, your card is missing the 'v2' in the green box.

Its also missing the 'C' at the end of the serial number. Plus, dont know if it means anything, but the smaller number you mentioned, is below the main serial number on your card, but is above the serial number on my card.

Also, just to ensure, make sure the card is put back into the locked position before putting it into the car, otherwise it probably wont work.

Donning my deerstalker I perceive that some of the cards with that part number are advertised on ebay as being 2012 cards.  That date implies to me they were never used in (or intended for) the Octy 3. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the Nissan dealer got the car without an SD card and obtained a replacement but used the wrong part number?

I reckon you are right.

Yep, car came in without a card and dealer hopped on ebay! That would be my guess as well.

There is conflicting information about that part number on the web - I have seen it listed against Octy III but for Eastern European models that seem to have the old Amundsen+ from the Octy II in them, which has the SD card slot on the unit itself, not in the glovebox.

Yep, car came in without a card and dealer hopped on ebay! That would be my guess as well.

There is conflicting information about that part number on the web - I have seen it listed against Octy III but for Eastern European models that seem to have the old Amundsen+ from the Octy II in them, which has the SD card slot on the unit itself, not in the glovebox.

So there seemingly is a problem with the SD card.

Phew! Neither the OP or myself end up looking stupid :D

Now, make sure you go and give the Nissan dealer the full end of the stick! Dont let them off!

Andy, the SEAT guys on their forum (and their Dutch colleagues) reported that the cards are VIN specific and that cards will not work on cars below a certain VIN number even though the cars are seemingly identical models and close in date of manufacture. Cars below a certain VIN cannot get map updates under any circumstances - they simply would not work and apparently this was SEAT policy. You can imagine the uproar.

I believe that the VIN is region identifiable? So perhaps these cards are legit as long as they are only used in cars destined for certain Eastern Europe countries?

I'm guessing here, but I have a close interest in following this subject after getting shafted by Skoda  for £230 for a new SD card, and facing £192 (allegedly) per map update from  2017 when my 3 years free updates is up.

facing £192 (allegedly) per map update from  2017 when my 3 years free updates is up.

Ouch! My £100 TomTom came with free map updates for life.....

SEAT had a different policy to Skoda though in relation to the map updates. Since launch, the O3 has always been sold with 3 years free map updates.

My car is a launch weekend demonstrator, registered early April 2013, has a very early VIN number (lots of 0s), and has had no problem with map updates on a Columbus.

Simple fact is the OP bought a car with a Satnav in that has no maps, so the supplying dealer will have to stump up for the map card as they supplied a faulty/incorrect card.

So there seemingly is a problem with the SD card.

Phew! Neither the OP or myself end up looking stupid :D

Now, make sure you go and give the Nissan dealer the full end of the stick! Dont let them off!

Yep, but it took some doing to get to the point where we could point the finger at the card!

SEAT had a different policy to Skoda though in relation to the map updates. Since launch, the O3 has always been sold with 3 years free map updates.

Very true, but Skoda UK have never given me a straight answer about what is going to happen when the 3 years is up.

I would be interested if anybody has a definitive answer to that question, but perhaps this is best deferred until 2016 and I can have a fresh rant then!!!!

Edited by Minimoke

Yep, but it took some doing to get to the point where we could point the finger at the card!

That im not denying. Admittedly if he had shown us those pics straight away, it would have been obvious a lot sooner. But we got there, and the OP (nor I) were as daft as perhaps some thought. Phew :D