Wifi file transfer app?

gadgetman

Are there any apps which will transfer files via Wifi without going through the Internet?

Trying to transfer a huge amount of data between old machine and new machine. New machine doesn't have a DVD drive and the cloud is an issue as I have 20gb to move.

Any apps I can use? Ones XP, new one 8.1

32GB USB drive??? Or a 16 GB job and move the files in 2 sections.

Assuming you set up a home network, it will take a hour of two at least, to transfer 20Gb wirelessly - this assumes you have a good 300Mbps or higher router and dongles/pci cards fitted.

If both are connected to the same WiFi network, the just transfer the files using Windows file share.

Nothing goes over the internet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/how-can-i-share-files-in-my-network-between-xp-and/467fd421-9fb8-46cc-b997-5a73452a917b

• Like 1

Can you not just connect the 2 together with an ethernet cable? What about USB, using the old machine as an external drive to the new?

Connecting them together with an ethernet cable is essentially the same as being on the same network. 

If both are connected to the same WiFi network, the just transfer the files using Windows file share.

Nothing goes over the internet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/how-can-i-share-files-in-my-network-between-xp-and/467fd421-9fb8-46cc-b997-5a73452a917b

I were going to suggest this.

Sometimes you cannot connect and 9 /10 times it is to do with firewall, just disable whilst you transfer.

I wouldn't bother transferring huge amounts of files over WiFi - it can be painfully slow.
I'd suggest either a crossover network cable between the two machines, or just pop the HD out of one and shove it into a USB caddy.

I wouldn't bother transferring huge amounts of files over WiFi - it can be painfully slow.

I'd suggest either a crossover network cable between the two machines, or just pop the HD out of one and shove it into a USB caddy.

This - or temporarily install it in the new machine - been there done that in the past. Or use a transfer cable. Or network them physically with an ethernet cable.

Def wouldn't wifi the info - takes too damn long.

Modern Wi-Fi would eat 20gb in a few minutes certainly before its worth considering faffing about with cables. Not sure what your speeds are but at 300mb Band N

it should rattle through 20gb in no more than 20 minutes. Even at 54mb Band G it shouldn't take more than 35 minutes. Wired Ethernet will always be quicker even 10/100

because WIFI is half duplex so read or write but not both at the same time. However I wouldn't bother with cables. If you know the PC name of the computer you want to connect to give yourself permissions on both PC's and then type the Path of the local drive into your run command followed by ' $ '. For example \\PC001\C$ browse to the location and

copy and paste then leave it to do its thing.

• Like 1

Thanks. Scribbler's method above worked eventually.

Win 8 machine wouldn't connect to the xp machine and wanted to use the account to access the xp machine. I can't disable security on the win8 machine as I'm locked out despite being a local admin (obv company IT policy).

But thankfully xp was more than happy to connect to the win8 machine, entered my account details and it's currently chugging away sending everything over. Didn't need to disable anything.

Thanks again all.

• Like 1

OK so it did half, then the win8 machine got huffy and booted the connection and now I can't re-establish

Was all set to sort a cat5 out until I saw the new one doesn't have an ethernet port.

Grrrrrrr

Well It can't be a permissions thing because it would have not let you start the copying process so it must have been a wifi signal drop out. Perhaps the connection isn't as stable as you think it should be. At this point then I would be opting for a large capacity usb pen drive.

Let me get this right then your new machine doesn't have a DVD drive or NIC? and its on windows 8.1. I would be having words with IT department about your downgrade.

You can get USB crossover cables, I have one lying around here for doing something similar on the works machines a couple of years ago (boss wont allow a wifi network, she doesnt think they are secure enough).

Usb crossover throughput is slower than wifi though. ignore the 480mbps headline figure its unlikely speeds above 6mb per second can be achieved even with nice friendly data to copy. I would say It would take hours in reality over a crossover cable unless things have changed much since I last used this method.

Buy a caddy, pull the drive from the old one and hook it up as a removable drive via USB?

Usb crossover throughput is slower than wifi though. ignore the 480mbps headline figure its unlikely speeds above 6mb per second can be achieved even with nice friendly data to copy. I would say It would take hours in reality over a crossover cable unless things have changed much since I last used this method.

I havent used it in several years, but I dont think it was that slow; the one I have is a fairly expensive - purpose made job though, a basic patch cable might be a lot slower. I seem to remember the old IDE HDD being the bottleneck.

Well it gave up with 4gb remaining so I'll just use my phone as a USB drive for that.

I just don't understand why it connected fine then I couldn't get it working again even though both machines were rebooted.

It was the win8 machine that killed the connection

Just use Windows file share as states above and be expected to wait a while, or alternatively hard wire both machines whilst transferring the file.

Well It can't be a permissions thing because it would have not let you start the copying process so it must have been a wifi signal drop out. Perhaps the connection isn't as stable as you think it should be. At this point then I would be opting for a large capacity usb pen drive.

Let me get this right then your new machine doesn't have a DVD drive or NIC? and its on windows 8.1. I would be having words with IT department about your downgrade.

I use what I'm given. Wait for it to turn out to be crap, and await a replacement in 6-12 months.