Tickover question ?

DILLIGAFF

apologies if this has been raised before but.............

Still loving my little Citigo but since new I have noticed that it appears to be set up with a fast tickover?

Two ways this shows up

1)  When going up through the gears the engine seems to over rev when I depress the clutch between first and second gear

2)  If I take my foot off the gas in fifth she will slow to about 25 then just keep on going till she runs out of petrol. This has caught me out once or twice, especially in reverse?

I presume this is the way the engine management computer is set up, but is it normal??

Otherwise   :yes:

The CitiGo's normal idle seems to be about 800-900rpm. ECUs will fight to prevent stall if the revs dip below the usual idle speed.

The revs shouldn't be rising as you change up gears. They should fall a bit during the shift to match smoothly to a higher gear ratio. The CitiGo's engine doesn't seem to lose the revs as rapidly as other cars I've driven, but that could just be a slow dial. You might need to alter the timing of your footwork (e.g., come off the accelerator slightly earlier before depressing the clutch). If the revs climb when your foot is off the accelerator and the clutch depressed, then that could indicate a fault. (Smooth downchanges are even more of an art.)

The recent VAG engines I've had seem to be set up to idle a bit higher than usual (by about 300-400 rpm) when started from cold with warm air (e.g., having been left out in the sun). Under such conditions I was once able to get my old Ibiza up to about 30 without having to touch the throttle pedal (just careful use of the clutch and gearbox). The normal idle speed soon returned, though -- presumably after a change of air in the engine compartment.

Edited by ettlz

1) is the thing i hate 'bout citigo. Just the only thing.

The revs might go up if:

- You rev it in 1st to 4k in brutal manner

- You detach clutch/throttle simultaneously.

Then, citigo thinks you still push the throttle, and revs to the 5-5.5k easily without load (clutch disconnected). Fail.

Another look on the very same problem: When you play with throttle on neutral, the revs are a bit lazy and sluggish - they don't precisely follow the timing/strength of throttle.

Dunno whether we both got the same fault, or its just the way it was built... :(

take your foot off the accelerator about 0.5 to 1 sec below pressing the clutch when changing gear. change from gear 1 to 2 at 20 kph.

That might be true Mike if you're just pottering about.

If you want to achieve 0-60 mph in less than 30 seconds or so you have to rev the engine(The 75 bhp max power is at 6200 rpm?)

I find the engine revs drop at about the same rate as an old petter diesel engine with heavy flywheel.

Very irritating if you're overtaking or just trying to press on a bit...

Another look on the very same problem: When you play with throttle on neutral, the revs are a bit lazy and sluggish - they don't precisely follow the timing/strength of throttle.

be careful on that test - there is a overide on the stationary car it wont let you rev past 4k, and doesnt climb very fast either. not sure what the trigger is, might be the handbrake.

I find the engine revs drop at about the same rate as an old petter diesel engine with heavy flywheel.

Very irritating if you're overtaking or just trying to press on a bit...

What if flywheel is relatively heavy, as 3 cylinder engine isn't the most smoothest running engine. For sure heavy flywheel would be better than dual mass flywheel. Plus low internal friction in the 3 cylinder engine.

Anyway not an issue really. I hardly ever use revs over 4000rpm. This engine usually pulls quite well at lower rpms.

1) I've noticed this once or twice when driving with a heavy foot. Never on general driving.

2) As stated above Anti-stall, fitted to most modern cars, the citigo's is fine, the first time it happened in the fabia mk1 vRS I shat a brick as the car lunged forward nearly hitting the car in front.

• 1 year later...

i want to thank you all . this conversation 1.5 years back helped me today with my new citigo.

i want to ask, can we do something about this? is there a solution to this problem?
can i make the engine dereve a little bit faster on heavy foot ? 

my last car was a fabia 1.4fsi and i think this problem had to do with the 3cylinder engine onboard
the 1.4 4 cylinder engine reved quickly enough.

(please forrgive my spelling)