Extended Warranty

Thats odd. I've never had a letter confirming the warranty extension on any new Skoda I have ever bought - I certainly did not get one for the latest Octy3 bought earlier this year.

I queried this lack of paperwork with Skoda UK (admittedly several years ago) when I purchased my wife's first Fabia. I was told then that they did not issue any contract or similar documentation at the time of purchase, but instead would contact me several months before the expiry date. They advised keeping the invoice as proof of purchase. They in fact did write to me several years later before the warranty expired, and took the opportunity to offer me a dealer type warranty extension which I declined.

You've prompted me to phone Skoda UK next week to check their latest procedure.

Although not SkodaUK I got papers from the dealership in Denmark that confirm the extended warranty. They included the end date and km included

Thats odd. I've never had a letter confirming the warranty extension on any new Skoda I have ever bought - I certainly did not get one for the latest Octy3 bought earlier this year.

I queried this lack of paperwork with Skoda UK (admittedly several years ago) when I purchased my wife's first Fabia. I was told then that they did not issue any contract or similar documentation at the time of purchase, but instead would contact me several months before the expiry date. They advised keeping the invoice as proof of purchase.  They in fact did write to me several years later before the warranty expired, and took the opportunity to offer me a dealer type warranty extension which I declined.

You've prompted me to phone Skoda UK next week to check their latest procedure.

I am entitled to free servicing & others have had letters from Skoda giving details. I didn't get a letter so rang Skoda UK & they confirmed my entitlement & said it's on the computer & they don't send out letters. So some get letters & some don't & they claim not to send out letters.

I got the car in Sept 2013 & the letter about warranty arrived Dec 2013. Their admin seems a bit chaotic.

...The same stealer wanted £120 plus labour to fix it so I told him to take it to Paul's Motors (local Skoda dealer) for a quote. They replaced all 4 as a precaution for £130 including labour.

Real moral of the story - no real consumer protection in the Channel Islands and rogues like you-know-who take advantage of it!

Smeghead - Have you used Paul's much for general service/mechanical work?

I've still got the issue of getting my H&R springs fitted to sort, and I seem to have developed a niggling worry about 'you know who's' ability to competently undertake the job, most notably as a result of a couple of things they've said during the process of giving me a price for the work - I get the impression they're great when it comes to plugging a PC into the car, but when it comes to actually doing anything different from their usual daily routine of changing oil and air filters and resetting trip computers, they're in a bit of a 'no man's land'.

There are other garages over here, but I also (as it's a brand new car) have this preference for the springs to be fitted by a proper Skoda dealer… so the thought popped into my head of a day trip to Guernsey with the car, and perhaps getting Paul's to do it. Feel sure it would be no more cost wise (including the boat fare) than my stealer is wanting to charge, and I'd be getting a day's holiday in a foreign country to boot… heck, I might even stay overnight and bring 'er indoors' and try out the cuisine (been a year since I last saw the place, although I did wave on my way past on a journey to Poole late last year, and no doubt a lot has changed and you've probably got loads more new one-way systems and traffic calming systems to explore just like us over here)!

Smeghead - Have you used Paul's much for general service/mechanical work?

I've still got the issue of getting my H&R springs fitted to sort, and I seem to have developed a niggling worry about 'you know who's' ability to competently undertake the job, most notably as a result of a couple of things they've said during the process of giving me a price for the work - I get the impression they're great when it comes to plugging a PC into the car, but when it comes to actually doing anything different from their usual daily routine of changing oil and air filters and resetting trip computers, they're in a bit of a 'no man's land'.

There are other garages over here, but I also (as it's a brand new car) have this preference for the springs to be fitted by a proper Skoda dealer… so the thought popped into my head of a day trip to Guernsey with the car, and perhaps getting Paul's to do it. Feel sure it would be no more cost wise (including the boat fare) than my stealer is wanting to charge, and I'd be getting a day's holiday in a foreign country to boot… heck, I might even stay overnight and bring 'er indoors' and try out the cuisine (been a year since I last saw the place, although I did wave on my way past on a journey to Poole late last year, and no doubt a lot has changed and you've probably got loads more new one-way systems and traffic calming systems to explore just like us over here)!

They've done most stuff for me for the last 7 years.  Most of it has been general routine maintenance but the nipper ended up taking his 2005 A4 there for some body repairs and other work a couple of years ago and they sorted SWMBO's MR2 when it was running like a pile of poo (the Toyota dealer didn't even know there were 3 Lambda sensors FFS - Paul's had it nailed in just over an hour).  Other than that I have no direct experience of their abilities. It's a small family-run garage so give Carl a call (dealer principle) and discuss it with him.  Even if you pay extra to get here, at least there's no GST so it's going to be a similar cost over all I would expect, and, like you say, there's the peace of mind that an official dealer did the work when it comes to warranty claims (better safe than sorry).  

If you do come over let me know as I'd like to see the car with the springs in place - I may even get mine done too. Maybe even go for a pint :)

Regarding the roads - you have Guernsey all wrong. We don't do anything by halves over here, oh no!  The States don't create new one-way systems - they just close the whole frickin' road for 3 months, then make sure the alternative routes are also closed just to make life more interesting.  My normal 5 minute trip to work is currently nearly 20 minutes due to closures, diversions and the like.   :(

Cheers for the info… will give them a call and see where I go from there!

Sounds like Jersey and Guernsey are not that far apart after all.  :wall:

I am entitled to free servicing & others have had letters from Skoda giving details. I didn't get a letter so rang Skoda UK & they confirmed my entitlement & said it's on the computer & they don't send out letters. So some get letters & some don't & they claim not to send out letters.

I got the car in Sept 2013 & the letter about warranty arrived Dec 2013. Their admin seems a bit chaotic.

Just to add to my earlier post, and reinforce the above,  Skoda UK have just confirmed to me that they do not send  any letters regarding the warranty entitlement. Some dealers do provide a letter but this is done merely as a matter of courtesy and apparantly is not a mandatory procedure.

Skoda say they do not need to issue paperwork to the owner as any Skoda dealer can tell the warranty status of the vehicle from the CZ computer system as that information is tagged to the VIN. 

However this does not help if the dealer "forgets" to add the warranty to the system at the time of registration. I believe this has happened to one unfortunate Yeti owner in the past, and both Skoda and the dealer were adamant that the warranty could not be retrospectively added. I'm not sure they are on safe legal ground as money has been taken and the servivce not provided. Its breach of contract at best.

So the moral is check the extended warranty by phoning Skoda (or the dealer). And retain the invoice/order - you may need it to prove your case. If you catch any error quick enough it may be grounds for rejecting the car.

This seems a very hit and miss administrative system to me.

Edited by Minimoke

Skoda say they do not need to issue paperwork to the owner as any Skoda dealer can tell the warranty status of the vehicle from the CZ computer system as that information is tagged to the VIN. 

Luckily computers never go wrong so that's OK then  :p

I have a letter and it's marked in my manual when the warranty expires in Jan 19 :D

If there is a next time id probably take the 5 year option....been loathe to do so as for the past few years every new car ive bough ive only kept for 18 months max.

For £500ish an additional 2 years/40k factory backed cover is a small price to pay and could quite easily pay for itself in year 4 or 5 as its typically the time the odd expensive thing can well go and burn a hole in ones pocket).

Interesting comment about ordering the warranty pre-production, my dealer told me they would be able to extend either the standard 3 year or the 4 year warranty that I purchased to a max of 5 years/100k as long as you purchase before the current warranty expires so there is continuous cover. Only risk you run is price rises, if you buy at time of order, you get inflation proof cover.

Was told exactly the same thing although I don't plan on keeping the car more than the 3 years anyway.

• Like 1

However this does not help if the dealer "forgets" to add the warranty to the system at the time of registration. I believe this has happened to one unfortunate Yeti owner in the past, and both Skoda and the dealer were adamant that the warranty could not be retrospectively added. I'm not sure they are on safe legal ground as money has been taken and the servivce not provided. Its breach of contract at best.

This seems a very hit and miss administrative system to me.

My dealer forgot to add mine. Took 6 months to get it sorted. Now book is stamped and I have a copy of an email Skoda sent to the dealer saying I've got it.

I hadn't added the warranty to my order but after speaking to my dealer I have now added it. My order was at the allocated week stage (wk36) so I guess pretty easy to add before build. I have the new order confirmation and it seems to be added like an extra as it is given a code like the extras. So might be worth checking order confirmations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for be-labouring this subject, but I was at the dealer today over another matter and whilst there spoke to them about the extended warranty. They showed me the paperwork "audit trail" they receive from Skoda regarding setting up the 1 or 2 year extension of the factory backed warranty - to cut a long story short its woefully inadequate IMHO.

Their advice was different from mine (which was to keep the sales invoice) - they suggested instead that if the factory based extended warranty option has been ordered, the buyer (as part of their checks before accepting delivery) should ask the dealer to check the warranty status on the CZ computer system. This only takes minutes to do and is the only reliable way of checking. Letters provided by dealers may not be accurate - its not unknown for Skoda  themselves to make errors over adding this "build option" which are not immediately visible to the dealer.  Seemingly it is easier to sort out any problems with the extended warranty BEFORE the owner formally takes delivery and the vehicle is driven off the forecourt.  

Seems like a sensible suggestion to me. 

Edited by Minimoke