BSD mixed with CG V7 - not quite what I hoped

Mr Grump

I have to say, after hearing of this mix , I thought my desire to have the beading properties of BSD with slickness that BSD misses, was answered.

It would seem not :(

Today, I washed the car down  (still great hydrophobic properties from the 5 week old layer of BSD) and tried it out.

First I tried two parts BSD to one part V7, still wasn't as "slick" as I wanted. So upped it to 50/50 and still not were I wanted the slickness to be.

I decided that any more in favour of V7 was going to nullify the benefits of BSD.

So I gave the car a layer of V7, I know the longevity is not going to be there, and likely nowhere near the beading, but it is slick and looks nice ;)

Besides, it  gives me an excuse to try some Fusso coat dark 99 when the V7 stops working :p I think I'll go for that over the authentic as its meant to be longer lasting :)

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts/findings there.....

I have a few alternatives on route to test with BSD...such as FK425, MIST-X, and another random choice.

But i fear i may find the same outcome applies...... but we shall see. 

Good luck with the Fusso Dark coat!  :thumbup:

What a shame that this hasn't really worked in the way you wanted, thanks for giving it a go and sharing the outcome. I'm interested in this kind of experimentation to see if you can get a best of both worlds scenario. Has anybody actually spoken to Sonax and expressed that we all love the durability and hydrophobic quality of BSD but would like a bit more in the way of gloss and slickness? Do they even have a customer feedback line of communication? 

I did the same bsd and v7 50:50 mix and I Totally forgot about it.

It's just sat in the garage. I will use it on my next QD top up and let you know what I make of it.

• Like 1

Optimum Instant Detailer concentrate gives the uber slickness with it but I'm not sure the beading is quite as strong. I could try a stronger BSD mix but havent got a bottle to try it in yet.

• Like 1

Used the 50:50 mix on my wife's mazda 2 as it's just sat on the drive waiting for a buyer. Thought I'd just qd it and I used the V7 bsd mix. And I have to say it's exactly what I thought it should be.

It went on easy felt slick and now is beading away the rain just as sonax would.

Quite pleased really.

I know you were interested in this Chris so I will bring you a sample 150ml spray bottle next time I'm passing.

• Like 1

Nice to know Carl - thanks for the feedback on this.

I have a few sample QD's coming to test this too.... :thumbup:

Sorry ste likewise the offer is open to yourself too. I can drop you a bottle by when I'm passing.

• Like 1

Sorry ste likewise the offer is open to yourself too. I can drop you a bottle by when I'm passing.

If you have some spare Carl, sure.

No rush - whenever you are over to collect the other items we discussed!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

If you have some spare Carl, sure.

No rush - whenever you are over to collect the other items we discussed! :thumbup:

Sure thing ste, ordered some pads from japan really cheap, think they will take an age to get here but they were cheap as chips so thought it worth a punt.

Of course sample will be given to those who have helped me out. You know who you are.

• Like 1

Sure thing ste, ordered some pads from japan really cheap, think they will take an age to get here but they were cheap as chips so thought it worth a punt.

Of course sample will be given to those who have helped me out. You know who you are.

Cool - let me know how you go..... i just located a sourced for the Flex/Rupes pads as well.

I'm sure they will be here by the time i get back from holiday!!!  :giggle:  ;)  :rofl:

I've just done 3 test panels on the car, one with bsd v7 mix and one with AG qd and one with Dodo acrylic spritz. I'll post back on everything as it progress' s

• Like 1

Just getting around to starting on this one chaps..... starting off with 3 test sections on SWMBO's car.

1. Sonax BSD (stock item)

2. FK425 Sample (Thanks Ben)

3. Mist-X Sample (Thanks Marc)

I will monitor them individually - then investigate some mixing.....

AD6A17B4-532E-418C-B6E2-C76372723701_zps

• Like 2

I've just done 3 test panels on the car, one with bsd v7 mix and one with AG qd and one with Dodo acrylic spritz. I'll post back on everything as it progress' s

As far as dusting goes the bsd v7 had the least amount of dust on it followed by AG QD dodo juice side was noticably dustier than the other 2.

As for slickness I would say the AG QD was best here, shine I would say bsd v7 was the best.

And as for beading no competition really bsd v7 wins followed by dodo acrylic spritz.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Must admit - that being away on holiday for 2+ weeks; sort of lost the plot on this test.  :wall:

But hope to detail SWMBO's car this weekend and see how the test panel reacts

through the process - snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, etc.

Might have to start again - or go straight on to some mixing scenarios.....

Must admit - that being away on holiday for 2+ weeks; sort of lost the plot on this test. :wall:

But hope to detail SWMBO's car this weekend and see how the test panel reacts

through the process - snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, etc.

Might have to start again - or go straight on to some mixing scenarios.....

Marginal results on yesterday's detail.

Both BSD on the boot and Mist-X bonnet cleaned with ease. FK425 roof seemed less slick than tge above....

But this was a longer test than expected with heavy pollen deposits whilst I was on holiday.

Finding that Mist-X is very versatile! Applied with ease on hot panels yesterday, no streaking like BSD can produce at times.

Testing continues...

Keep the reviews coming Steve

Streaking with BSD???

Never seen this. How are you applying it?

I will do as and when the samples arrive. :)

I've seen the streaking on a few cars here and there, helped Alan buff up some streaks on his once.

I don't use it on the body panels of the R36.

Some threads on the OCD forum about BSD streaking. Seems another panel temperature issue from what I have read...

• Like 1

I will do as and when the samples arrive. :)

I've seen the streaking on a few cars here and there, helped Alan buff up some streaks on his once.

I don't use it on the body panels of the R36.

Some threads on the OCD forum about BSD streaking. Seems another panel temperature issue from what I have read...

Good review, I like FK as a QD. BSD probably needs a bit more care as it's a liquid sealant, rather than a QD perhaps?

• Like 1

That's a fair point... Often forgotten really. BSD is a liquid sealant and I use mainly on the alloys now.

So far, Mist-X impresses as most versatile QD. High levels of wetting agents in this product allow it to work well on hot panels, one of the main aims Marc had for this release.

• Like 1

Well, although the V7 bsd mix didn't do it for me on the bodywork, I have been using it as my wheel finisher, its doing a great job keeping those easy to keep clean :)

Good to know - thanks for sharing the info!  :thumbup:

sorry Carl - didnt log in earlier as the site was offline early morning.

You got me on text anyway - see u Sunday :thumbup:

Yup no worries mate.

• Like 1