Fitting 19's

Right lads I've picked up a set of 19's which I'm refurbishing and have just test fitted. They are 19x8.5 but a low offset of 32. I'm currently running lexus alloys at an offset of 42. They are 235/45/17 and sit nice and flush with the bodywork however when buying the 19's I couldn't remember what offset the 17's were. Anyway test fitted tonight and the rear rim pokes out past body work 5mm

za7y8yve.jpg

And the front pokes out about 7mm

e7ybavym.jpg

Was thinking of putting 215/35 or 225/35 as would give a bit stretch.

I've checked on willtheyfit.com and the 225/35 will give a 3mm smaller difference on diameter but I'm worried about the rims actually poking past bodywork. I'm not really up on wheels but are these dangerous to run ? Any thoughts would be well appreciated, cheers Davey

You may have problems when it comes to MOT time as the wheel protrudes past the wheel arch. That said I think you'd be unlucky to get a failure with the little amount you have there more likely a pass and advise.

You may have problems when it comes to MOT time as the wheel protrudes past the wheel arch. That said I think you'd be unlucky to get a failure with the little amount you have there more likely a pass and advise.

Yeah got another 2 sets of wheels I could bang on for mot time !

When lowered down onto the floor/tyre that 'poke' wont be there. The natural camber will bring that in. Unless it is lowered and the cars weight on it?

Yes mate it's on wooden chocks now lowered and under it's own weight. I've just read on the net that wheel poke can be upto 30mm but the tyres have to be within the bodywork ! Been viewing a few images online and didn't realise this has become a new big thing !

I truly do not like this craze of stretch, apart from not liking how it looks.

It's just not right and I'm not convinced of the safety of deliberately fitting wrong size tyres.

Also the legal implications if heaven forbid they were attributable to an unfortunate injury/RTC... Not worth it.

Always better to seek advice from more knowledgable Modders and find a safe and legal solution.... Even if that is to sell the wheels and get other 19 inches that don't have the offset problems.

I truly do not like this craze of stretch, apart from not liking how it looks.

It's just not right and I'm not convinced of the safety of deliberately fitting wrong size tyres.

Also the legal implications if heaven forbid they were attributable to an unfortunate injury/RTC... Not worth it.

Always better to seek advice from more knowledgable Modders and find a safe and legal solution.... Even if that is to sell the wheels and get other 19 inches that don't have the offset problems.

Good advice.  I totally agree.  Function before looks.  Tyre manufacturers recommend minimum, maximum and ideal wheel widths for each tyre size.  These recommendations are not just pulled out of a hat but made for sound performance and safety reasons.

• Like 2

Yeah I do agree with the 2 above comments things have got to be fit for purpose, but seeing as the 3 tyres I got with the rims were brand new, they alone were worth what I paid for the lot so thought I'd take a chance on them, and the fact that I've been after a set of those rims for a while made me more pig headed in thinking I could make them fit ! I will more than likely refurb put tyres back on and resell. Nothing ventured nothing gained do the saying goes !

• Like 1

Yeah they were 19x9 these were 19x8.5 and I thought the rims I had on were et38 so I knew it would be close. At the end of the day I won't lose money on them which makes a change !

In no way are minimal stretch tyres dangerous! Aslong as the tread is in the arch you will pass an mot with a bit of poke.

I run 8.5x18's ET25 with 215/35/18 and I'm pretty damn low! I'm also looking at 5mm spacers rear to give me an et20.

They will fit but you'll need at minimum depending how low you are the arches flaring a touch, there no lips to roll so flaring is the only way. There's also a lip at the rear inside the rear arches that needs flattening, I ground mine off. It's where the bumper meets.

Natural camber will take some poke off but again it depends how low you are as to how much.

I keep toying with the idea of 19's but haven't come across any with the et I'm looking for tbh.

872274AB-E8F4-418A-BD73-53A8340074C3.jpg

927FB55E-C0AA-4D2F-91E2-612B1AE94C1F.jpg

2B660B5E-B73F-4033-BE38-BD6469E0499C_3.j

3ADA353A-7ABB-4DFA-95C2-5CDAC298B383_3.j

Edited by SNH

Most people consider stretching as quite a new trend but in fact, it all began in Japan where they call it 'Hapari'. Drifters used stretched tyres because less sidewall flex was generated, allowing to break traction easier. Also, because of the reduced sidewall flex a smoother transition from left drift to right drift can be created.

Not sure i want to break traction easier on public roads, and as tyre stretch is becoming more common. Insurance company's and accident investigators are now actively looking for this post RTC's

We can if we wish consider it safe in our opinion... But as the tyre is one of the most safety critical aspects of a car... I'm less than convinced.

Forgetting "safety" however.. if it is an insurance get out clause...a concern for police ,or a point for compensation lawyers to hit you with ... Is it advisable?

A stretched tyre will have different properties and characteristics to a correctly sized tyre...and may be deemed by us as safe.. But it IS a difference...

So, even if the effect is minimum, IF it contributes to an accident it can be a big issue.

• Like 1

They are these, not to everyone's taste but might pluck to do them red same as the car, a lad had a similar set up for sale a few weeks ago albeit a different brand y3u4uryq.jpg

Just something different from my zeniths or my matte anthracite 5 spokes !

They are these, not to everyone's taste but might pluck to do them red same as the car, a lad had a similar set up for sale a few weeks ago albeit a different brand y3u4uryq.jpg

Just something different from my zeniths or my matte anthracite 5 spokes !

Hi pal are you the bloke who I spoke to with air ride outside pentagon vauxhall?

I presume he isnt as he has 50mm springs. And if he had air this whole topic would be invalid lol.

Other option depending on the mounting serfice you could machine a few mm off. If theres enough meat on them thats perfectly safe if done by a proper place.

I presume he isnt as he has 50mm springs. And if he had air this whole topic would be invalid lol.

Other option depending on the mounting serfice you could machine a few mm off. If theres enough meat on them thats perfectly safe if done by a proper place.

Yes mate I had thought about getting either both disc and wheel turned down a few mill on each but it's a bit extreme and expensive. If I was still working as a Toolmaker I could have done them on a lathe myself no problem.

In no way are minimal stretch tyres dangerous! Aslong as the tread is in the arch you will pass an mot with a bit of poke.

I run 8.5x18's ET25 with 215/35/18 and I'm pretty damn low! I'm also looking at 5mm spacers rear to give me an et20.

They will fit but you'll need at minimum depending how low you are the arches flaring a touch, there no lips to roll so flaring is the only way. There's also a lip at the rear inside the rear arches that needs flattening, I ground mine off. It's where the bumper meets.

Natural camber will take some poke off but again it depends how low you are as to how much.

I keep toying with the idea of 19's but haven't come across any with the et I'm looking for tbh.

872274AB-E8F4-418A-BD73-53A8340074C3.jpg

927FB55E-C0AA-4D2F-91E2-612B1AE94C1F.jpg

2B660B5E-B73F-4033-BE38-BD6469E0499C_3.j

3ADA353A-7ABB-4DFA-95C2-5CDAC298B383_3.j

Would it just be the fronts that need flaired ? Who could do this for me ? Seen some horrific vids on YouTube of people doing it D.I.Y with a baseball bat ! TBH I don't mind a wee bit poke and the tyre stretch will be very minimal so I might see if I can get some cheap or free 215/225/35/19s get them fitted and see what's what before I finish the wheels. My arch gap is currently 35/40mm and these rims are .5" wider. Anymore thoughts on this ?

I have 225/45/18 wth 8.5j and very little tire stretch. Not very noticeable at all. Not sure if it would be different with 225/35/19 thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compared your 8,5x19" ET32 225/35R19 combination with mine 9x19" ET41 225/35R19 on willtheyfit and i suspect that on rear you will be fine by turning some camber on it. On the front you will probably catch on the uppermost screw that holds the inner fender but you can remove that screw to get rid of the problem. I don't think you need to flare the fenders in the front with that -50mm lowering kit. If you are thinking of putting 215/35R19 tyres, please bare in mind that those tyres load index is not big enough for Octavia.

I once drove a mk5 golf gti that was on stretched tyres. Ruined the handling and had less grip than a standard car - was horrendous in the wet! If it was a show car then fair enough but from my experience I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. Also prone to ruining the wheels on potholes etc as no tyre protection.