Failed MOT - Lowering springs

Hello all,

So my car flopped it's MOT today on the basis that the lowering springs become unseated when the car is jacked. What do I need to install to resolve this issue? I was looking at a Spring Distance Kit for the rear (link below). Is this what I need or should I be looking for something else? Any help is appreciated.  :sun:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=250467

You need coilovers to prevent this happening.

Yup, too pricey though...

How about running the right springs for the car?

You reap what you sow.

Any help would be appreciated. No? Okay then, ta ta...for now!

Your car isn't safe and fitting spring spacers to try and pass the MOT then removing them again isn't acceptable.

There are only two correct answers to your question, you've been given them both and you don't like either, so...

You're on your own son, good luck.

• Like 4

Guest BigJase88

What springs have you got?

Or do you have coilovers and threw the adjuster away so its mcdonalds low?

The springs becoming unseated when the car is jacked up is not a MOT fail, the failure occurs when the car is lowered from the jack and the springs require assistance to locate them properly.

The MOT testers manual says:

Shortened coil springs, to lower the ride height, are acceptable provided the spring ends locate correctly when the vehicle is returned to the normal running position without assistance.

All you need to do is find some way of guiding the springs onto their seating points for when the car is lowered, cable tying them in place may suffice.

What springs have you got?

Or do you have coilovers and threw the adjuster away so its mcdonalds low?

Eibach Pro -30mm. At -30mm you think this wouldn't cause an issue!!

The springs becoming unseated when the car is jacked up is not a MOT fail, the failure occurs when the car is lowered from the jack and the springs require assistance to locate them properly.

The MOT testers manual says:

Shortened coil springs, to lower the ride height, are acceptable provided the spring ends locate correctly when the vehicle is returned to the normal running position without assistance.

All you need to do is find some way of guiding the springs onto their seating points for when the car is lowered, cable tying them in place may suffice.

Thanks for the info boss.

Eibach Pro -30mm. At -30mm you think this wouldn't cause an issue!!

I assume it was the rear that came unseated?

-30mm should not cause them to come unseated, does the Fabia use a rubber locator on the top and bottom of the spring? are they still in place?

Guest BigJase88

Yes very strange

Maybe your missing something at the rear.

Can't remember if fabia has rear rubber seat or not

I assume it was the rear that came unseated?

-30mm should not cause them to come unseated, does the Fabia use a rubber locator on the top and bottom of the spring? are they still in place?

I've just checked and it seems I'm missing the rubber locator at the bottom. Sigh!

I used to have these fitted and there was no way you'd get them out just by jacking the car up.

Very strange.

Yes very strange

Maybe your missing something at the rear.

Can't remember if fabia has rear rubber seat or not

Parts 3 and 6 here look like relevant bits.

Looks like I'm missing Part 3 on both sides as the spring is simply sitting on the bottom container. Brb.

I should also state that this is a Polo 9N 2002 which is the same as the Fabia 1. However I just checked the rear axle and it's of course identical to the Fabia. So looks like I need to start with Part 3 and worst case scenario massively thick cable ties. I'll get these ordered in on Monday and post back.

wrong shocks yo allowing too much travel in the rear beam 

this is why you should always opt for coilys 

Thats not what the experts say:

Q:  Down to which lowering level can I go with Bilstein B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?

A:  Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.'

Thats not what the experts say:

Q:  Down to which lowering level can I go with Bilstein B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?

A:  Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.'

so would it not cure the fault in hand to fit shortened shocks?

i think it just might 

Guest BigJase88

wrong shocks yo allowing too much travel in the rear beam

this is why you should always opt for coilys

Coilovers are crap

I do agree uprated shocks are always beneficial.

90% of matched shock and spring kits are superior to coilovers.

Coilovers need to be set up by a pro before they take the advantage over a matched shock and spring combo.

Plus coilovers are uncomfortable

Coilovers are crap

I do agree uprated shocks are always beneficial.

90% of matched shock and spring kits are superior to coilovers.

Coilovers need to be set up by a pro before they take the advantage over a matched shock and spring combo.

Plus coilovers are uncomfortable

I can see your point yes coilovers make you feel like tigger on drugs sometimes!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from holiday late last week but the issue is now resolved.

Essentially when you jack the car up the rear springs move when forced with your hands, but there's no way they would come loose or not fall centre when dropped again. There's no way in hell this is a fail, the call was way over the top IMHO.

Any ways, I unbolted the rear shock, I then replaced the bottom container as the previous one's were shot, and twisted the rear springs 180 degrees and bolted up the rear shock. Essentially by twisting the springs 180 degrees the bottom part of coil has better contact with the bottom container, now when I try and move the spring by hand it doesn't move because the seat is angled and not level. The new container should also help to prevent the spring from twisting.

Job done, thanks for all your input.

I would have complained tho them and got vosa involved. They would have soon back down as for what they failed you on was not in the test manual.

It is in the test manual but the fail was that the spring wouldn't fall centre when the car is lowered. It was falling centre when I lowered it and although you could move the spring with your hand you couldn't physically move it so that it wouldn't fall centre. The springs are a sure pass now and because of my holiday I'm too late for a free re-test on the failed part which is annoying.

Hello, yes I'm using upper coil spring mounts.