Sparkly's Racing Barge 1.8tsi 4x4

Sparkly

Well after a very slow start to this build thread, it looks like I might be paying the Superb a bit more attention when the weather comes decent.

Changing jobs has very luckily landed me on garden leave until mid march :)  and after some umming and arring I have decided to not take the option of a company provided car (although there were some lovely options) and instead take the car allowance which will allow me to keep the Superb and give chance for a little light modifying.

Popped down to ECP this morning to gather supplies for a 50k miles service including some NGK BKR7EIX plugs in prep for future developments.  Gave the very shiney steering wheel a rub around with a magic sponge which has brought it back to a beautiful factory matt finish.  I have ditched the London Colours HID kit in favour of reverting to Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs as the ballasts kept giving issues and I was bored of getting a yellow light.

If it's being kept then it should almost definitely put in an appearance at Spring Combe, which means I will need to look at the suspension, brakes and engine over the next few months.

and it's pigging filthy and will need a real scrub down.

Off this afternoon to see my tame mechanic for the service and chat over some plans.

• Like 3

Great to hear Mark!

Look forward to seeing how this progresses!

Cheers Ally, I have actively taken a bit of a break from Brisky and paying too much attention to the car over the last month and now I'm ready to get back and do some tinkering.  It will all go at my own pace but certainly a few small changes to come quite quickly I think.  I've done the maths on taking a car allowance and it certainly leaves me better off than swallowing the tax hit on a company car (tax brackets on emissions have gotten really harsh since I last had one) so if that means that instead of a brand new car I have to cut about in something a bit older then I will certainly want to enjoy making a few changes to it.

• Like 2

Well after a very slow start to this build thread, it looks like I might be paying the Superb a bit more attention when the weather comes decent.

Changing jobs has very luckily landed me on garden leave until mid march :)  and after some umming and arring I have decided to not take the option of a company provided car (although there were some lovely options) and instead take the car allowance which will allow me to keep the Superb and give chance for a little light modifying.

Popped down to ECP this morning to gather supplies for a 50k miles service including some NGK BKR7EIX plugs in prep for future developments.  Gave the very shiney steering wheel a rub around with a magic sponge which has brought it back to a beautiful factory matt finish.  I have ditched the London Colours HID kit in favour of reverting to Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs as the ballasts kept giving issues and I was bored of getting a yellow light.

If it's being kept then it should almost definitely put in an appearance at Spring Combe, which means I will need to look at the suspension, brakes and engine over the next few months.

and it's pigging filthy and will need a real scrub down.

Off this afternoon to see my tame mechanic for the service and chat over some plans.

great stuff, I love the idea of a modded superb at castle coomb :) looking forward to seeing it :)

• Like 1

Was going to say crack on but that's a bit rich coming from me to be honest.

Plus next few months could see some changes coming, after a sleepy few months I am making some plans.

Just a bit daunting with how much there is to be done to make the car track worthy/safe.  Pinch of power, smidge of handling and probably some industrial braking upgrades for the tubby beast.

• Like 1

Plus next few months could see some changes coming, after a sleepy few months I am making some plans.

Just a bit daunting with how much there is to be done to make the car track worthy/safe. Pinch of power, smidge of handling and probably some industrial braking upgrades for the tubby beast.

What brake horse is it when standard?

never mind all this banter Sparkly, will you be on track at Castle Combe?    If not I am planning on travelling down Friday night, Premier inn again, if you want to come as a spectator I will pick you up and we can car share, then blag a run in someones car as a passenger and watch  ;)

• Like 1

never mind all this banter Sparkly, will you be on track at Castle Combe?    If not I am planning on travelling down Friday night, Premier inn again, if you want to come as a spectator I will pick you up and we can car share, then blag a run in someones car as a passenger and watch  ;)

Have the right badge on the front of the car, therefore - track!

Still happy to convoy down with you.  Are there dates up for Spring Combe already?  I'll book in the Prem Inn too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Mark,

Love the project thread and was wondering what VCDS tweaks you have done as your car is the closest in spec to mine on Briskoda (I have the Combi).

How did you get dipping passenger mirror in reverse to work in VCDS without electric seats, and does the mirror automatically reset when you drive off?

How much of a difference does XDS make to the understeer?

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

Love the project thread and was wondering what VCDS tweaks you have done as your car is the closest in spec to mine on Briskoda (I have the Combi).

How did you get dipping passenger mirror in reverse to work in VCDS without electric seats, and does the mirror automatically reset when you drive off?

How much of a difference does XDS make to the understeer?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

I got married and started a new job recently so have not been on here at all recently.

I'll get you the vcds coding info when I next have chance.

Some lunatic flung stones down both wings whilst on honeymoon so it's in a bit of a state and I kerbed my wheels, so I fell out of love a bit and am now wondering how I go about things, whether I get the damage fixed and press on with plans or give up and start again with something more naturally sporty.

Time will tell, looks like I wont be at Combe so need to target the national meet and late Combe in Sept

Stop copying my progress ;) it's a nice car and something a bit different. I'd get the bits sorted, if you still don't feel it then it's ready for sale otherwise get it done :D

Thanks mate, that pretty much sums up where I am at.  It's just annoying that for me to feel happy with the car I will need to spend several hundred on paint and bodywork which I could have put towards modifying.

Literally no progress apart from collecting dirt inside and out because I don't even feel like cleaning it as the dings and stone chips from the incident stand out even more.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, that pretty much sums up where I am at. It's just annoying that for me to feel happy with the car I will need to spend several hundred on paint and bodywork which I could have put towards modifying.

Literally no progress apart from collecting dirt inside and out because I don't even feel like cleaning it as the dings and stone chips from the incident stand out even more.

Lost the love for it by the sounds of it :( not a good situation. Once the repairs are done you'll either feel happier or you won't but at least it would aid sale. Welcome back on here mate :)
  • Like 2

I know what you are feeling. I spent yesterday detailing my vRS, lovely weather :). I was schocked how many stone chips the front of the car accumulated!! She is black but looking at the front bumper and skirt you'd be excused for thinking the car is white with a $hite black paint job lol. I am in the lucky position where appearances are not a priority and from afar it looks mint :).

Don't get disenhearted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jonathan,

I got married and started a new job recently so have not been on here at all recently.

I'll get you the vcds coding info when I next have chance.

Congrats on getting married, no hurry on the VCDS codes.

J

Find a TTrs?

It's been done......, but what about the handling?

It's a long car, + long wheelbase, great for highway stability but not so nimble in tight corners.

I like my car but it's not the car we choose to use on country roads.

Love to see a Superb on a trackday though, would take me back to the saloon car racing of the

distant past, watching a Ford Galaxie mixing with Jags, Anglias & Minis in the same race!

DC 

• Like 1

It's been done......, but what about the handling?

It's a long car, + long wheelbase, great for highway stability but not so nimble in tight corners.

I like my car but it's not the car we choose to use on country roads.

Love to see a Superb on a trackday though, would take me back to the saloon car racing of the

distant past, watching a Ford Galaxie mixing with Jags, Anglias & Minis in the same race!

DC 

It is wrong in every which way for track work :)

But if you come down to Castle Combe in September you will see it being thrown around with the Fabia's, Octy's and loony Yeti's

• Like 1