So, the Game of Golf.... many takers? Willing to admit?

mac11irl

So, My missus told i needed to get a hobby, most likely to stop me DIYing around the house!

I used to play golf years ago, from age 8 to 18, then Uni etc got in the way.

So, i got some clubs on the cheap and have cracked back into it.

Went for my first full round this morning with my Father in Law, since i played the day before my sister in laws wedding!

Going by how i played, i think i shouldn't have taken such a long career break!

Really enjoyed it and not a bad score for the first time playing with the DoneDeal2nd hand clubs!

So, how many other covert golfists are hanging around the forum - hiding their bats in the boot of their Skoda?

I own a set of golf sticks and have tried on more than one occasion to get into it but I've not got the patience needed to get good. Can understand the enjoyment when you're good but can't understand hours spent at the weekend rummaging in the rough for your balls ;-).

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

used to play 2-3 times a week 15 years ago .unfortunately marriage kids new jobs & losing 99% of golfing partners. means i only play a few times a year now but always manager a day at mentmore golf clubs for our village do & drink every year .

I'd love to, but it takes me about 10 whacks before I actually manage to hit the ball, and then it really can and does go where it pleases...normally about 30 feet away into the undergrowth. :blush:

Haven't played a game for about 30 years now.

Too time consuming anyway, and i also don't like this having to buy the whole clubhouse a round of drinks nonsense if you get a hole in one either.

Whenever I think of the words Golf and Club, it makes me think of a field of poor VWs that have been modified by people who shouldn't be allowed crayons, let alone tins of paint.  That then makes me think of this

and chuckle to myself  :D

I miss-read "DIYing" as "Dying" :notme:

I am not a good golfer, despite my mother regularly dragging me out to the range and course when I was younger.

I can hit a 1 wood about 180m

I can hit a 1 iron about 180m

I can hit a 7 iron about 180m

I can hit a putter about 180m!!!!

(Mummy is Lady Captain at the Worcestershire)

I have owned a set of golf bats in my past, but out-grew them and couldn't afford to replace them.

Plus I could be hilariously variable in how far I'd hit a given bat; the 3 Wood could go anywhere from about 70 to 320m (320m taken from medal tee to off the back of a green officially measured at 280m).

Just back from playing a round this morning 6:20am tee off

I have played since I was a kid, but now only have the time for one or two rounds a week through the light nights and early mornings.

Once the weather changes again the clubs will be put to the back of the garage til next year

Alternatively, if you wanted a form of exercise (where exercise isn't the main draw but buying

1000's of ££££s of equipment and a wearing a funny outfit is) then archery also offers few health 

benefits but an opportunity to brag about the latest (insert name of item) that you've spent £400

on that does the same job as the wooden one you already have but this ones made of magnesium :o

• Like 1

Played when I was around 16 - very quickly gave it up, frustratingly annoying! Each to their own though.

Loads of my colleagues play - I tend to caddy for them and just act a loon in the buggies!

Alternatively, if you wanted a form of exercise (where exercise isn't the main draw but buying

1000's of ££££s of equipment and a wearing a funny outfit is) then archery also offers few health 

benefits but an opportunity to brag about the latest (insert name of item) that you've spent £400

on that does the same job as the wooden one you already have but this ones made of magnesium :o

Well, I got most of my gear of the free 2nd hand type of my father in law,

and my irons - oldie fashioned metal heads and steel shafts - for €50 off a guy - total outlay, 50 quid :D

Mostly because, like all the things id love to do to my Octy but wont, i don't feel i can justify the outlay.

So, i'll be doing it on the cheap, which tbh, if it suits my game is fine by me!

And, as a follow up - Im a tidge surprised by how many admissions there's been to having at least a passing interest in the Pringle Club,

Given this is essentially a petrol head forum  :D proves Brisky really is all encompassing!!

Well, I got most of my gear of the free 2nd hand type of my father in law,

and my irons - oldie fashioned metal heads and steel shafts - for €50 off a guy - total outlay, 50 quid :D

Mostly because, like all the things id love to do to my Octy but wont, i don't feel i can justify the outlay.

So, i'll be doing it on the cheap, which tbh, if it suits my game is fine by me!

That's good and the best way to be, but it's easy to fall into the trap of better this and better that. 

It can be a hugely expensive hobby golf when you start buying all the top drawer stuff.

Archery is probably worse, my old man was into that and the money you can drop on a set

of carbon fibre this, aluminium that and magnesium the other is just :o  :o  :o  :o  

He took it up for exercise :giggle: and the only thing that got any lighter was his wallet. :rofl:  :rofl:   

Used to play about 3-4 years ago but did ligament damage on a ski/snowboard holiday at uni and haven't been able to play anywhere near the level I used to...(used to play to a 6 handicap now playing roughly to a 17)

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

Yeah I've played since I was about 7

Been off and on for the last few years with having an infant running around. But going more and more now as he loves playing, and driving the golf kart even more......and he's rather good at it.

Paced one of his shots the other day and it carried 60 yards...not bad for a 5 year old.

• Like 1