Window moss, green algae mould...

Any ideas what I could use to get rid of the above?

There are of course many products available for garden application but I wouldn't trust them on the car's paintwork.

A damn good jetwashing gets it off of my window rubbers. 

Agitate with an old toothbrush and some soapy water first

Alternatively park in the sun if you can.

My front garden is North facing (ish) so only gets any sun either very

first thing until about 10 am and then about two hours in the afternoon before it ducks behind 

a neighbours house. So I get the moss thing on my window rubbers.

Once you've got them clean keep the rubber supple and moisturised with a trim gel or 

similar and moss won't form as quickly or stick as well in the future. 

All's fine on the exterior as I usually keep it clean but it's the inner surface which contacts the glass and which can be seen from inside that I want clean.

I'm going to try neat antibacterial handwash along the bottom of the windows and run them up and down a few times to get it in to the recess, I'll report back in a few weeks with the results.

Once you've got them clean keep the rubber supple and moisturised with a trim gel or

similar.

Any specific suggestions?

Preferably something that will keep door seals and winding window seals supple as well.

Thanks.

Any specific suggestions?

Preferably something that will keep door seals and winding window seals supple as well.

Thanks.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/chemical-guys-new-look-trim-gel/prod_143.html

I use this for all my black stuff. Plastic rubber OR painted metal even (wiper arms).  Tyres, the satin black paint on

my motorcycle fairing plus its frame and engine covers. Car door and window rubbers,

scuttles, engine covers you name it. I've even used it to rejuvenate tired wiper blades. 

It brings the plastic bumpers up a treat on my van and shrugs off water for ages after application. 

I've experimented with it on all sorts of things. 

A bottle will last you for years and years. 

Just wipe/dab on with a sponge, (it's easy to over apply so less is more) then 

wipe flat and remove any excess with a clean rag after it's settled. 

I always use old bits of tee shirt to wipe off and then just bung all the rags through 

a boil wash after so I can use them again. 

Thanks. Will that help soften the rubber stuff and keep it supple?

Only ask because the descriptions seem geared more towards it being a tyre dressing (I know that's rubber as well...)

• 1 year later...

APC is all you need to remove mould

I found some on the lower edge of my hood as the previous owner left it undriven outside for weeks at a time

A quick scrub with neat APC and its gone

Same will apply to your problem

Use a toothbrush and you will be amazed what comes off

Apply some Gummi Pfledge. Job done

I usually get a bit on the lower window seal which can be seen from inside.

A jet wash usually gets rid of it. Then now and then I have a paintbrush that I shove under and run round the seals to give them a scrub.

Will get some of that Gummi Pflege (there's no "d" in it. Pflege (pronounced without the P) means care). Might help with the drip of water I get coming in on the drivers side once in a blue moon.

• Like 1

Lol..sorry Phil

I'll remember

Mine has a roller applicator, which is awkward to use. I apply to a small piece of sponge and wipe with that

Hehe. You weren't the first/only one to put a d in it.

Saw the applicator while googling. Will just do the same as you I think.

It will also come in handy for the motorhome to treat the window seals etc.

APC is all you need to remove mould

I found some on the lower edge of my hood as the previous owner left it undriven outside for weeks at a time

A quick scrub with neat APC and its gone

Same will apply to your problem

Use a toothbrush and you will be amazed what comes off

Apply some Gummi Pfledge. Job done

You can remove it with APC but it will come back. Mould is alive and needs to be killed off. Same as mould on a covertible roof. It stays alive in the fabric and grows back relatively quickly. Kill it with an antibacterial product and it doesn't come back.

• Like 1

the new anti bacterial stuff from Gtechniq would probably be a good shout.

This would be what I'd go for.

On the conertible roofs I've used anti bacterial kitchen spray after a good clean, and it has worked a treat.

• Like 1