Smeg Cookers

neelyp

My Smeg cooker tripped all the power in the house yesterday. Took the back off and the wiring is a complete mess, lots of charred connectors etc, basically a fire waiting to happen!

Its only just over five years old (just out the extended warranty) and needs a complete rehash of the wiring. This has not been caused by heat generated by the oven but by p!sh italian electrics.

So a word of warning to anybody with one, take the back off (its easy - only half a dozen screws or so) and check the wiring.

I've never cooked smeg before.........

....seriously though, my Baumatic went a similar way...heating element went into self destruct and burnt it out....I think the quaility is inversely proportional to the price ..my next cooker will be gas only...

been there, done that - not with a Smeg, but with a tumble dryer and a shower installation - both "quality" products, "competently" fitted.

It doesn't hurt to know a reliable electrician and take their advice on all matters - i.e. wiring-in and products both. Not surprisingly, word of mouth comes out tops here, IMO.

Regards

Mo

my brother had a Smeg gas/electric range, although his actually caught light....nearly took kitchen with it, it was only because he was sitting in the kitchen at the time had athat he saved it!

my older sister also smeg, only it was a dishwasher, that overheated and boiled the water breaking the machine!

nice name, look nice, but AVOID!

Neff (part of the Siemans group and marketed in the UK with built in only leaving Bosch to do the freestanding) is good Stu, thats what I have on the cooking front.

That's good to know - looking to replace my dual-fuel Belling which has had a couple of problems in the 4 years I've had it, including the fan oven heating element dying and the control knobs breaking. Also all the numbers on the knobs have worn off, and I'm also convinced the thermostat in the oven or the temperature **** aren't working accurately at the moment! :rolleyes:

Chris

Neff (part of the Siemans group and marketed in the UK with built in only leaving Bosch to do the freestanding) is good Stu, thats what I have on the cooking front.

Cheers Andy - we aren't really that bothered on the style front as long as we get something that is reliable :thumbup:

Rewired part of a Smeg for a mate. Piece of crap. Philips whirlpool not much better but you'd expect that. I now have a Bosch high level double oven and can't fault it. Had a little poke around inside prior to installing it and it's well constructed too.

While we are on the subject of kitchen appliances, stay clear of Dualit. It's crap. Our coffee maker makes luke warm coffee and the toasters are fire hazards with worse construction than an Hinari. Going to crack open the coffee maker to see if there is a temp adjust control. Had it replaced twice and Dualit have confirmed now that the temperature is so low to ensure you can't get scalded. joke eh!

• 2 years later...

I have had endless problems with a SMEG 60CFMX1 cooker. The fan element has failed on 3 occasions as well as the circulatory fan. The oven door hinges have had to be replaced and now one of the hob ceramic elements has failed. A replacement costs in the region of

Another :thumbup: for Neff. Had all sorts of fun and games when the time came to fit it. The previous owner of our house had shorted the isolator switch on the kitchen wall, and once FiL and I had got that sorted, it kept tripping out whenever one of us was using the shower at the same time. Turned out previous owner (again) had shower and cooker running through same 32A breaker. One quick call to Screwfix later, a 40A breaker in for both, and all was well! :thumbup:

And to add to the 'Italian electrics' debate, avoid Ariston, Indesit and Hoover (owned by Candy, I believe) at all costs! The stuff in our kitchen is gradually being replaced by Neff and Bosch kit, and it seems much better! :)

So we can safely say that Italian kitchen appliance electrics are similar to their car electrics then? ;)

I wonder if you can get a fire suppression system built into your SMEG fridge like you can with the Brera! :D

I have had endless problems with a SMEG 60CFMX1 cooker. The fan element has failed on 3 occasions as well as the circulatory fan. The oven door hinges have had to be replaced and now one of the hob ceramic elements has failed. A replacement costs in the region of