Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Looks good mate I need my roof spraying as all the laquer has peeled, how much was the roof if you don't mind me asking?

Had all the work done for £200. Bargain!

Thanks Mark! I think they could re-spray it without removing it. I think that wrapping it will never be as good as spraying in my opinion though...

Just a quick question about your footwell lights

Instead of going to the effort of wiring the LED direct to the interior light could you use a piggyback fuse on to the interior light fuse ?

No, as the fuse is not on the switched side of the circuit, if you wired it to the fuse the lights would be on permanently.

You could wire them into the wiring going to the lights on your door cards though, which would be less work ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Small update from a while ago and tonight....

Finally got round to fitting a boost gauge. Went for a 60mm Prosport one. Wasn't cheap, but it's really nice and has useful features such as peak recall and a warning feature. Plus it reads up to 3bar, which I need due to currently being at 2.5! I managed to get hold of a rare pod to mount it in too. It hides the wiring so is a really neat install if I do say so myself! Pics of the process...

First up was mounting the gauge into the pod and fitting onto the pillar neatly...

36731128670_ff73d0e371_z.jpg

36292304984_cb9024abfa_z.jpg

36292303744_d3a8b7acac_z.jpg

36939429276_f18d7a3951_z.jpg

36292302324_b8a2a80dca_z.jpg

36731121260_cc1082dec0_z.jpg

36731120260_a204ee0b58_z.jpg

36731119440_bcf2be4f9f_z.jpg

Now moving into the car...

I pulled the headlight switch out and went in with my test light to find a permanent live, ignition live, earth and the lights on live. I stripped the sheath off and soldered fresh wire into them...

36986463961_a5dac29a5e_z.jpg

I am rather anal with insulating everything after...

36939424576_28a08dc834_z.jpg

I then soldered some wire onto the flimsy gauge wiring so that I could nicely attach some bullet connectors...

36292296654_ccb86656e1_z.jpg

36939423316_ce7c563c14_z.jpg

To avoid confusion if I needed to temporarily remove the gauge, all the connectors are slightly different lengths so that they will only line up with the correct one...

36292296174_5dec776996_z.jpg

More anal insulation of the looms and took an earth from just above the fusebox...

36939423916_53a5c9e74b_z.jpg

36292295664_0f75979269_z.jpg

Removed the glovebox and mounted the electronic boost sensor nice and neat and out of the way...

36292294984_88070bc8a5_z.jpg

Drilled through the standard grommet and fed boost pipe through to the engine bay along with installing the filter to avoid pulsing...

36731102620_5503d00da7_z.jpg

Fitted gauge...

36939422426_52cabf0fe4_z.jpg

36731104900_c97c7234d3_z.jpg

I've still got to weld a boost nipple into my EGR delete to finish it off properly, but I'm really pleased with the gauge, where it sits and the tidy installation. I will post up again when it's plumbed into the EGR, as the display is really nice - it has digital bars round the outside and a numerical display in the middle.

That was a while ago. I've since bought 3 more gauges from the same manufacturer - oil temp, oil pressure and EGT. So I set about sorting the wiring this evening. I've bought myself a 3 gauge pod from overseas to fit above the centre vents which I'm hoping will look good and not look too out of place. So for now I've just sorted the main bulk of the wiring out. This time I took my feed from the stereo wiring...

Stripped the wiring and soldered in again. Pretty much followed the same procedure as above. However, this time I wired the gauges so that they have a white illumination in the day, and green at night when I turn the lights on. The gauges have a handy small daisy chain loom with them, so I can easily wire the other two up by just linking them up. I have to fit the senders still - these will be done when what you read at the bottom of this post is started...

36292293744_6b8be9f4fc_z.jpg

36731101400_94cc90f43c_z.jpg

36986454191_2870a9323b_z.jpg

36292290654_b55d26806c_z.jpg

36986453081_38d93d6ee9_z.jpg

36957366392_a9e0a8d4e0_z.jpg

36986452291_ccd9daf3c5_z.jpg

36292289364_79951769b4_z.jpg

Once my 3 gauge pod arrives I will drill a hole in the top of the dash and route the power and sender wiring through the top.

36731100750_5abb0ced5e_z.jpg

36939475286_c85cc288b2_z.jpg

So that's the small bit of update for now. However.... I'm lucky enough to get 7 weeks off work in the summer. So the car is coming off the road and the following is being completed...

• Full suspension component renewal (track rods, track rod ends, bottom ball joints, inner ARB bushes, all 4 wheel bearings - the rest has been changed/uprated previously).
  • 323mm freshly re-built Brembo's on the front including custom braided lines.
  • Re-built 256mm rears including anti-moo kit.
  • New brake fluid.
  • Freshly powdercoated Whiteline RARB and Seat Sport front strut brace.
  • Head gasket (due to constant head lift issues) and new PD150 head bolts.
  • Cambelt & water pump.
  • Uprated Xman clutch.
  • Fitting the senders and wiring for all gauges, including welding a take-off onto the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe.
  • Fit Miichi catch can.
  • Oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate.
  • General service including new box oil.

I'm also possibly going to fit a Quaife diff to the car to really transform it. It makes sense whilst everything is out.

So yes... a busy summer I will be having! :D

Edited by alex_e3

That gauge is exactly what I'm looking for Alex! I need to pull my finger out and get one!

I'm liking number two on the list and even more the last one! You'll love it!

• Like 1

From here mate...

http://rspec.co.uk/b-gauges-b/evo-lcd-peak-warn-series-prosport-gauge

Fingers crossed with all the above done the car will be like a new one and drive much better all round due to the mods. It should be more than ready for the next level of power upgrades then ;)

Thanks Alex I will be making a purchase :)

You will own a monster! Oh and the new upgrades for bigger power, I hope a tubular mani is in the pipe line? Whats your power goal? 320?

No worries pal.

Looking at some serious work, including ditching the 8v head altogether for a BKD one, plus a rebuild of my block with 2 litre pistons and forged rods. Then a 2566 type spec turbo with tubular and nozzles ;-) I'll want at least 320 going off some figures that are floating about...

Been looking at the possibility of running live dual maps to prep for a bit of NOS too ;-)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bloody hell that will be insane if you do go that far! Will be a awesome set up from what already is a awesome car! :) you'll be getting to Jason's levels of power with that set up too!

When are you looking to do all of this?

• Like 1

Next year sometime mate. I've already done research (with John's help!) on what is required. We're pretty confident we can get it sorted and setup right.

Will definitely be a weapon if it goes well!

I'm liking the idea of running dual maps with a map solely for NOS. Should be able to run a decent shot of the stuff then :-) Possibility of close to 400...

The main thing for now is getting the foundation for it sorted. Which hopefully after all this it'll be good to go :-D

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I was looking at BKD head too, but after forking out for the hard pipe kit I didn't fancy having my intake back around the front of the engine instead of the back. :D  Would need to re-route the intake as well as re-plumb (again) all the NOS and water meth system.

When mine is back I am going to be sticking to 1.9 for as much as possible. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So... this happened today...

36292291764_5e824329ac_z.jpg

Seems that the area is full of broken red Fabia's... both Kev and mine in pieces!

Engine will be dragged out tomorrow and the strip down of that and brakes/suspension will begin :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

Don't you have a job....oh wait you don't. Git! :)

I was going to say he's part time, but tbh that's being disrespectful to part time workers!!!! :)

• Like 1