Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Sweet. Great progress and pictures as always. Can't wait to see it all back together :)

Cheers Charlie :)  I'm actually starting to get a bit sick of it now. Purely because I'm against the clock and what I thought were small jobs keep taking hours  :wall:

I had the same faf when fitting the HEL lines to mine, that bracket in the arch takes some filing to get the new lines to fit up square!!

Calipers look funky!

Yeah mate they were a bloody right pain! Hard steel and awkward to get at didn't help.

Cheers mate. You're right though... bit far Kent ha ha!

The anti-moo bracket is the replacement for the handbrake cable guide that has the big rubber weight on it. Stops that god awful squealing noise that the 256mm brakes give off when reversing. There's an old thread I've just found here... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/210558-brake-anti-squeal-kit-part-number-anyone-know-it/

• Like 2

Tonight's update.

Back to work today after 7 weeks off :D  Went straight down to my unit after work to crack on.

First off I fitted the return springs to both calipers. They were actually a pain to work out where they went, so ended up looking at Google images!...

36957249692_56b5abf499_z.jpg

Started work on the carriers now. I couldn't get the pins in since they were powdercoated, so had left some paint stripper in the holes for a few days to loosen it. I then ran a drill bit through all the holes to clear it. Out came a load of material from the shot blasting...  :notme:   In the end the pins were nice and free to slide back and forth. So I popped a bit of grease in the hole and fitted the new rubber boots on...

36939280766_b828208b39_z.jpg

Then greased the pins up massively so that they stay free for a time to come...

36957249202_31d2c500e2_z.jpg

I cleaned up the pad shims for the carriers. Came up really nicely...

37128280755_c6b8d1b4db_z.jpg

Carriers now all finished and shiny :) ...

36957248472_3a526f1802_z.jpg

So the moment came to fit them! I fitted the caliper itself first, then carefully attached and torqued up the carrier and slotted the pads in with some anti-squeal paste on. I've opted for standard pads on the back, as they're not worked hard and I refuse to pay another £140 for rear DS2500's if they're not needed...

36939277346_97ffff07e1_z.jpg

Caliper then bolted up nicely. A bit of careful faffing with the handbrake cables and all was well again :) ...

36957247782_fb961b3b9d_z.jpg

36957247602_30829f8efd_z.jpg

Final job I had time for tonight was pressed the rubber bushes and sleeves back into the RARB links. I then gave them another coat of paint to touch up where some paint had been removed on re-fitting...

37128277675_5bbf62eaf3_z.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the RARB fitted and I'll be using my vacuum brake bleeder to get the air out and run new fluid all through. I'll then be enlisting the Mrs for the final bleed when I have the new fluid nicely through ;)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

Good work yet again. Didn't realise there were so many parts in the real caliper.

It's going to look like a new car when your done. Hoping to follow along these lines now I've got my Fabia ;)

• Like 1

Tonight's update.

First job was to get the brakes all sorted. I had a handy little vacuum brake bleeder that hooked up to my compressor to pull the fluid through. So I pulled all the air and a load of fluid through each caliper to ensure fresh stuff was run through. Made the job so quick using this...

36315010143_1b57ddedf5_z.jpg

The Mrs arrived and gave me a hand to do each corner manually just to double check there was no air left. As it was, the tool did a perfect job!

Next up was to fit my Whiteline RARB. I first quickly cleaned up the exhaust clamps which go over the beam and the nuts, bolts and washers. A bit of a faff to fit without damaging the finish, so took my time. End result...

36730952860_3fc498ff6f_z.jpg

36730952150_3d1eb667c7_z.jpg

36315007863_faa09643df_z.jpg

36730951310_5f6f7cb9ba_z.jpg

36939270576_4ddb75b49b_z.jpg

I wish I had time to take the beam off and get that powdercoated also. A job for the future methinks!

Last job I did was get underneath the car and refit the fuel cooler and all the clips that hold the brake and fuel lines under the car.

Tomorrow I'll be starting to clean the block up and hopefully paint that and the head.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 4

Very nice :)

ARB looks mint, in more way than one! :D

Pull your finger out man!!!

LOL

Only kidding, at least you work faster than Gramps.

Fu*k you brummie :p

• Like 1

Update.

Worked later tonight (by that I mean most people's 'normal' hours! :D), so only got a couple of hours on the car tonight.

So first off I turned the head upside down and rested it on a block of wood, then blasted it down with a wire drill attachment. Much cleaner now...

36939269436_d97df10ca2_z.jpg

A good clean with brake cleaner and I masked up the mating face and other areas I didn't want to spray...

36730949410_2987e943d4_z.jpg

High temp aluminium colour paint later...

36292141724_c40890049e_z.jpg

36730947710_e504b6acc8_z.jpg

Masking removed a bit later...

36730946230_156b59daa8_z.jpg

Next up I turned my attention to the block. Spent ages cleaning up all the pistons, bores and the mating face. Looks so much better - ready to be blackened up again!!...

36315002913_e6ff3c18dd_z.jpg

A good clean with brake cleaner and I masked off the top section and all oil holes...

36315001813_1739d048ce_z.jpg

Should have a lot more time down there tomorrow evening. So first job is gonna be to blast all the block with a wire drill attachment. That's probably going to take a fair while. A good clean up, then mask it up and it'll be ready for paint. If that goes well time wise, then I'll be able to start getting the cylinder head built back up. Failing that, I'll probably paint some of the other components I want tidied up - all time consuming little jobs.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 3