Is it worth getting Adaptive Cruise Control?

Maybe this isn't the right place to post or ask, if so I'll move the question somewhere else!

The thing is, we're configuring our future Skoda Octavia VRS tdi estate, which is immensely exciting, specially as there are so many options and toys! We have decided to go for the new Traveller Assistant package which includes Columbus, lane assistant, intelligent light assistant and identifies traffic lights. 

We're not sure about one or two extras, one of them being the Adaptive Cruise Control. I know that the car comes with the normal cruise control, but here in Spain it costs 690 euros (about 560 pounds) to install the ACC. 

Do you think it's worth it? There isn't as much traffic in Spain and most driving we'll do will be city/country lanes plus the odd long journey on motorways (mostly empty not like the UK)

Thanks so much in advance, I've been reading all the post and we're excited about our possible future car!

I. Hughes

Hahaha, thanks for the quick reply!! 

For some reason we seem to have some options you can't get anymore. We can also add parking assistant, but I think we'll just park ourselves, with the help of the sensors. The parking assistant costs another 645 euros (around 520 pounds) and if money wasn't an issue we'd add all the extras, but we have to reach a balance, hahaha. 

At the moment the car is like this:

- Candy white Skoda Octavia VRS tdi estate

- DSG

- Sunset tinted windows

- Sunroof

- red seams 

- Gemini anthracite wheels (they cost 100 pounds extra in Spain and the 19" aren't allowed to be sold at the moment)

- Black pack with black side mirrors

- Interior feet lights

- 230 v plug for the back seats

- Traveller assistant which includes: Columbus sat nav, lane assistant, intelligent light assistant and identification of road signs

The extras we're undecided about are:

- Kessy: we're not sure wether to include or not and whether to include the normal one for 315 euros (260 pounds) or the one that comes with alarm which is 630 euros (520 pounds)

- Adaptive Cruise Control for 690 euros (560 pounds) 

- Parking assistant for 645 euros (560 pounds)

What do you guys think?  :notme:

Given the price of 690 Euros for your type of driving I think you've answered your own question. As you do country, city, but not much motorway driving how often would you use it over normal cruise control?, especially as there isn't as much traffic on the motorways over there, and you rarely go on the motorway anyway.

If you can easily afford it then go for it, but I would use the 690 Euros on other options if the money is 'spare'. Add the parking assist instead, personally I wouldn't bother with Kessy, but that's just me.

Whatever you decide on it looks like a great spec car you'll end up with.

Edited by cnc

Pano roof is a definite yes!! Can't you get it over there?? I'm so shocked!

I think Kessy is a bit silly personally but my partner says it's the first time he's buying a new car and most cars have keyless start stop so he'd feel silly without it haha!

The reason for the park assistant is the front sensor as cnc said, but not sure it's worth it, although it's a pretty large car and parking in Spain is really difficult. We all live in flats and there isn't much parking space usually so you have to be really good at parking in tight spaces. 

Thanks for the replies!! Loving this forum!

Ingrid.

Go for the ACC but only with the DSG not worth with the manual gear box.

Be aware as cars who are halted befor the radar can detect (within the range) the car  will not be detected by the radar

only cars on the move within the detection range are detected.

The first days I tought it would detect a halted car on the traffic lights but nope

I got the three options and go for it, the parkassist will be very helpfull for parking on the left side as we on the continent are not used to

park that way.

Edited by blokart

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!! It's very helpful!

It's so easy to go for all the options, one gets carried away and we keep thinking we won't be able to add it later on.

The pano roof is very expensive here too, it's around 800 pounds, but we want it as it's massive and we'll enjoy the sun! We're also definitely going for DSG as we've tried it and like the comfort of driving with it.

Now we have to decide what do to about the Kessy, ACC and Park assist. The park assist are some extra sensors in front and you get an image on the satnav showing the direction you're heading right?

Goodness! Sounds like a fun toy! Off I go to youtube to check it out haha!

Not sure my partner will like the car parking itself so I think we'll save some money on that then. Here in Spain we have the option to put the front sensors but not the park assist, so we could do that (around 300 euros)

I had park assist on my last car, didn't think I'd miss it as I now only have rear parking sensors. I don't mind not having front sensors as I can see where the front is, but I really do miss the self parking option - a bit like having the DSG, it just does it for you, so I'd go for the park assist and make life easy for yourself, not just a toy but really useful practical feature. 

I use ACC daily. I think it gives a relaxed drive and I am less bothered by drivers ahead of me making slight variations of speed.

Basically it allows me to use cruise control much more often than regular cruise control, which primarily works in light traffic.

On my way to work there is a 2-3km stretch with low speed (5-20km/t) due to heavy traffic where I really enjoy ACC+DSG.

As soon as the traffic stops completely for more than 5 seconds you have to press the brake and ACC disengages, but otherwise it works great in queuing traffic as well.

ACC is great in town driving as long as you keep awake at roundabouts.

Kessy is fast becoming a no-no as it makes it easy for the new breed of cyber car thieves to steal your car - many reports of Mercs and BMWs being stolen every day, admittedly the venerable Skoda is not always top of the thieves list but why take the chance - whats wrong with pressing the fob and turning the key, its all part of the driving experience

I had ACC on my last car and am going to severely miss it on the Octy... I really don't understand why they can't make all options available everywhere all the time! It was without doubt the best gadget on the car. Used in town/single/multi carriageway roads on most journeys.

Edited by josedebardi

It's all down to individual tastes. I personally wouldn't waste my money on ACC because I prefer to be in full control of my cars. I never bothered using the standard CC on my previous 3 cars so didn't purchase it on my 2014 VRS, but Skoda installed it for free / by mistake anyway.

I don't like active driver aids in general. Front Assist, Lane Assist, Park Assist, CC, ACC etc can make people lazy or worse complacent. Just because our cars have the options to brake, accelerate, steer and park for us doesn't mean that everyone wants it.

Each to his own, but I would spend the 690 Euros elsewhere.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

A lot of great opinions, I'm really grateful for your input!! 

I find it strange that the Skoda page doesn't explain all these features better, but at least thanks to you guys we can reach a better decision! As we have to wait around 6 months for the car we may end up adding things as we save money haha!

I think I've got to the point that I wouldn't buy another car* without it. Just don't get lazy and expect it to do everything, you're still in charge.

*track-day/fun cars excluded

• Like 1

I also wouldn't be without it, it's brilliant. Still not available on new vRS models in the UK, though? They'd better sort that out, when I come to replace my car in 2 years or so, if ACC isn't available on the vRS, I'll be going elsewhere.

• Like 1

I chose against it. While it is very cool, my mostly city/country driving style makes it largely irrelevant, and since we don't really have any motorways here, and since I wanted a manual, I decided to spend the money elsewhere.

It also doesn't help that in Aus it is only available as part of a $3900 package (for comparison, a mid-spec O3 here runs $28000 on road).

For ACC I would recommend asking for an extended test drive.

Some people like/love it others don't like the feeling when the car is decelerating/braking for them or find it too slow.

The Skoda implementation is nicer than others I have tried as you can change how aggressive ACC is during acceleration & braking.

Personally I find it a very nice system & for me definately worth the money.

The highways here is Switzerland are not so busy & it works very well.

I'm not sure I would think the same if I was driving in the UK in heavy traffic though.

With any of the options the cost depends on how long you intended to keep the car.

If you keep the car only 1 year, options are expensive & you are unlikely to see the money back on resale.

If you plan to keep the car 10-years then think of the cost of an option versus the time you would use it.

For me I decided I would use ACC & Kessy everyday for 5 years, so the additional 800chf & 400chf cost was minimal when divided over this time.

I'm extremely happy with both & would buy the same on my next car.