Mk 3 Octy interior light requirements for LED replacement

Has anyone replaced all there Mk3 VRS Octy interior lamps with LED bulbs looking at glovebox ,doors and map lights front and rear ? Basically all that can glow!

Looking for a list of what's fitted as can't find any info in owners book and also info on how to remove light units to replace the bulbs!!!

Thanks for any info that may help!

Has anyone replaced all there Mk3 VRS Octy interior lamps with LED bulbs looking at glovebox ,doors and map lights front and rear ? Basically all that can glow!

Looking for a list of what's fitted as can't find any info in owners book and also info on how to remove light units to replace the bulbs!!!

Thanks for any info that may help!

That's fantastic any idea how to get the light units out of the roof to replace them as car only 3 weeks old and don't want to start chiselling away with a screwdriver

Am away to order my LEDs

Cheers for the help!

I've replaced all the interior lights with LED ones

The front roof light is x2 501 bulbs you need screwdriver to help you get the light cover off it's clipped on

The rear roof light is x3 501 bulbs this is clipped on but is easy to get off

The glovebox light is x1 501 bulb you need the screwdriver to help you unclip the light out

The boot lights are x1 501 bulbs you need a screwdriver to help you unclip the light out it's the same light as the glovebox one

Hope it help you out

• Like 2

Yes that's brill ,can't believe that after looking at what people say skoda makes complicated ie new front grill is whole bumper, indicator bulbs need broken in to , etc that they have fitted the same interior bulbs all round ,how simple is that, thanks for the help just need the bulbs to arrive now!

Thanks for the info!

Genuine question - why do you replace the stock bulbs with LED's? I assume they use less power (but is that relevant?), last longer (seems strange to throw away perfectly functioning bulbs if that's a factor) and are brighter (is that a good thing?). Or is it just a preference for the colour? Anyway, I'm certainly not saying it's a bad thing. I found myself looking at the thread and thinking - "cool, I can do that - cheap(ish) and easy". Then followed with "Why?".  Thanks!

For me it's a brighter whiter light compared to the yellowish tint of a normal bulb. but yes LEDs use less power and if you where paying for the power as in a house then yes a very small saving would be made, but in a car negligible

As for lasting longer depends on price and quality of the LEDs you buy but when you can get 10 for £5 and it only uses 8 got a couple of spares

Think it's more a vanity thing on my behalf and there ain't a lot of things that you can legally do to a car without informing insurance and invalidating warranties and with a price tag of a new car i personally wouldn't be tweeking anything else!

I've just changed all mine to LED. The roof lights were easy, but the boot and glovebox lights were a bit fiddly. The bulb holder is essentially 2 bent strips of metal and they need adjusting to get the LED bulb in. To get at the front courtesy light, you can flip down the panel in front of the sunglasses holder (I managed to do it with my fingernail) and undo the 2 T15 screws behind it. The whole panel will then pop out.

I much prefer the whiter light.

Hi all,

while searching on fleabay I found different options, with different number of LEDs and different structure: led on one side only, or led on both sides, or arranged on 4 axis, and different size. The higher the number of LEDs, the larger the unit.

Are there particular costraints on 501 led equivalent size?

TIA,

Genuine question - why do you replace the stock bulbs with LED's? I assume they use less power (but is that relevant?), last longer (seems strange to throw away perfectly functioning bulbs if that's a factor) and are brighter (is that a good thing?). Or is it just a preference for the colour? Anyway, I'm certainly not saying it's a bad thing. I found myself looking at the thread and thinking - "cool, I can do that - cheap(ish) and easy". Then followed with "Why?".  Thanks!

I use a mix of stock bulbs and LEDs, gives best lighting (colour temperature and intensity). Also, it makes sense to put LEDs in lieu of bulbs in anything activated directly by door microswitches (not sure on Octy 3 though), as 3x+ reduction in peak current wears these out much slower (and they are a pain to replace). Using LEDs in boot area allows to add more lighting for the same current draw.

Finally, directional LEDs in reading lights (front and rear) make for much better driving environment at night, should passengers decide to read a book or just have a snack while driving. No need to keep the interior dark, so long as the LEDs are directional enough.

When buying LEDs, best to make sure they can be operated at very low voltages as well as nominal, e.g. 7V-28V or 7V-15V. Car's control unit lowers the voltage quite a bit after a short period of inactivity, quite a few LEDs then either go out completely or flicker. Also, a lot of door/footwell lights are best used with side emitter wedge 501 replacements, rather than front emitter. Best to inspect all bulbs and which way they send light before buying a kit, or just buy individually.

Edited by dieselV6

LEDs give a clean white light, much better (in my opinion) to the standard 'yellow' bulbs.

Full set available from http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-interior-full-led-pure-white-for-skoda-octavia-3-5e-p-4942.html with the option of selecting different colour LEDs if you so desire. They also came with fitting instructions for the reading lights, glove box, boot etc.

Also changed the rear licence plate bulbs to be LEDs - now car is fully LED/Xenon, with the exception of turn indicators. http://www.ledperf.co.uk/leds-pack-white-6000k-license-plate-for-skoda-octavia-3-5e-p-4949.html (no error codes)

Hi all,

while searching on fleabay I found different options, with different number of LEDs and different structure: led on one side only, or led on both sides, or arranged on 4 axis, and different size. The higher the number of LEDs, the larger the unit.

Are there particular costraints on 501 led equivalent size?

TIA,

Hi,

I replaced all mine with bulbs which have 5 leds, 4 round the outside and 1 on top. I don't think you can go any larger than this in the interior roof lights as the circular lights go through a hole into the reflector (restricting the width of the bulb) and the height of the centre bulb in the rear roof light is limited (restricting the length).

You could go with flat bulbs for the boot lights and the glovebox light, but I don't know the maximum size. The boot lights come out really easily, so you could take a look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have started to change my bulbs to LED's. But how do you remove the rear ones from an Octavia with glass roof?

Many thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry after watching the video, it's a different fitting!!

Mine is the same at both ends, do you have press both ends?

Plus, how do you remove the number plate lights to fit LED's ? Do you have to remove the inside boot panel to get to them?

Many thanks

Steve

Number plate lights just slide to the left and you can then just lever them down and out, unplug to make it easier to change the bulbs. There's instructions in the manual on how to change with pictures.